Average monthly cable package is now $217.42 per month

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
And Providers cannot figure out why people are leaving.

This year we will see a massive increase in those leaving, since you can get the majority of content on streaming services plus the exclusive stuff for about $50, have a recession maybe coming, inflation is still here, people are going to really look at what they can cut.

By the way, those leaving in 2022 is already more then 2021 and we have not even have the 4th Quarter Numbers yet, except for Dish and Verizon, together already over 300,000 lost.

My parents would like to leave, but they don't feel comfortable without linear TV and the interfaces of Hulu +Live and YTTV are a mystery to them.

Why post an article from 2 1/2 years ago?
Jun 22, 2020 is article date

just wondered...........
Wanted to provide context for how bad the prices are the last few years, those are where Providers have had the biggest decrease in subscribers.

My parents would like to leave, but they don't feel comfortable without linear TV and the interfaces of Hulu +Live and YTTV are a mystery to them.
I have said it before, any new service (cable, sat or streaming) that you switch to is going to have a learning curve, after 2 weeks, everything is usually fine.

My wife had major memory issue due to her disease, she handled it, first with Vue and then YTTV.

My Step Father is 76 this year, he streams everything at his home, was even showing some family members how to work the TV when they were all here for Thanksgiving.

Why post an article from 2 1/2 years ago?
Because we only have 45 threads where the same two posters can tell us how much money they save and how everyone else who makes any other decision is a dope. We needed a 46th one.

• Haha
Reactions: djont57
I like how the 2020 article includes internet in the so-called average cable bill, as in the line: "Most people are probably paying for more bandwidth than they need, or for premium cable networks they rarely watch."

First time I've ever heard cord-cutters, like Bruce, pass the cost of internet onto the cable tv bill! LOL!

I like how the 2020 article includes internet in the so-called average cable bill, as in the line: "Most people are probably paying for more bandwidth than they need, or for premium cable networks they rarely watch."

First time I've ever heard cord-cutters, like Bruce, pass the cost of internet onto the cable tv bill! LOL!
Unfortunately it is impossible to separate Broadband and Cable pricing because of the bundling.

Also how they been able to hang on to so many video subscribers.

Comcast alone has about 16.5 million video subs which is almost as many as Dish and DirecTV combined.

They also do a few things right, like the option of getting their service (channels) via a Roku so no box charges.

They do a few things wrong too, that Broadcast and RSN charge is the biggest.

Streaming costs need to include internet, since without it there is no streaming. Plus many people bundle there internet with there cell phone charges, not just cable.

Reactions: Jimbo
Streaming costs need to include internet, since without it there is no streaming. Plus many people bundle there internet with there cell phone charges, not just cable.
But if you use the internet for other things, like logging into Satellite Guys, checking mail, googling things, etc, you already incur cost for the internet without the streaming add on. It's kind of like Amazon Prime. I sub to Amazon for shipping cost and speed of delivery. The addition of Prime and Music is just a perk of that subscription cost.

Streaming costs need to include internet, since without it there is no streaming.
But you use the internet for so much more then streaming, taxes, bills, mail, news, communications, banking, reading books, magazines, buying things, etc, etc, so it holds a much higher value then just for streaming.

Those are things you cannot do with just a TV Service.

And if all streaming went away and I had to get a Traditional TV Service, I would still have broadband.

Sure you can, internet only vs. internet plus tv.
nope, services are discounted when you bundle them, both internet and tv were cheaper, I had a bundle when I had Comcast, if I remember correctly it was not that much more then broadband alone.

Then Comcast raised the price and added the broadcast fee and RSN charge, the bundle discount was not really worth it anymore.

Went to PS Vue for $35, then Broadband from Comcast with Vue was cheaper then the bundle.

nope, services are discounted when you bundle them, both internet and tv were cheaper, I had a bundle when I had Comcast, if I remember correctly it was not that much more then broadband alone.
Sorry, but it doesn't matter whether there are discounts for bundling, if you are comparing cord-cutting vs. cable tv, changing from the bundle to internet only saves only the difference between the two packages. That's it, and especially since you yourself never include internet costs when talking about cord-cutting, that's all you can say has been saved.

Last edited:
But if you use the internet for other things, like logging into Satellite Guys, checking mail, googling things, etc, you already incur cost for the internet without the streaming add on. It's kind of like Amazon Prime. I sub to Amazon for shipping cost and speed of delivery. The addition of Prime and Music is just a perk of that subscription cost.

Beyond that, this applies to a number of things. Whether I had a provider like DirecTV or not we'd almost certainly still have Prime, Netflix, Peacock, Paramount Plus and Disney+, but those are typically bundled into 'look how much streaming costs you' when they're supplemental services with value propositions far beyond people looking to replace a more traditional option.

Given that, makes the difference between DirecTV and the alternative much more jarring, it's thousands of dollars per year.