avr-3805 7.1 speaker selection question

theatermeateater

Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
hi everyone,
i want an avr-3805 which uses surround r & l and surround back r & l for it's 7.1 configuration.
i want to use a pair of towers in the back as well as front to better take advantage of 5 channel stereo.

what surround channel should i put the rear towers on?

...further complication is that my movie viewing position is against the rear wall. ideal as far as position, i put the rear towers in the back corner, toed in slightly to the back of my head. then i'd put the smaller rear speaker on the side walls as far back as possible w/o crowding the rear towers. or would it not be too bad to have the small rear spkrs even with my viewing position, on the side wall, or even slightly towards the front of the room in relation to my position?

again, in this desire to locate my speakers as described above, which rear channel gets the tower and which gets the smaller speaker?
does this aplication call for a bi pole/di pole as the smaller surround?
please help!
thanks you very much for taking the time to read my note. i appreciate and look forward to any suggestions/assistance.

My current room setup is similar to yours. I didn't even try for a 7.1 setup, as the rear speakers would have been pretty much in the same location as the surrounds. I put a pair of dipoles high on the walls at the rear of the room, and set the receiver for 5.1, turning off the rear channel. This channels the sound fro the rears into the dipole surrounds. Not ideal, but it seems to work in my case. BTW, this was a recommended confiiguration in the receiver manual (Onkyo).