Convert coax to RCA

road_rascal

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
South Metro, Twin Cities MN
I have a Dish 522 DVR. I'm connecting the TV2 coax output from the DVR to the coax input on my VCR and then running RCA audio/video cables to my TV so I can get sat programming. The single coax jack on my TV is where I get OTA HDTV from (outside antenna). Now that the VCR is broke, is there a way to convert the coax cable to composite RCA cables? I've seen the opposite (RCA to coax, a modulator I think). Or am I going to have to get a new VCR? Thanks.

Well, it's not that simple really. The signal you are sending on the RF cable has to be received, decoded and output. The device that receives the signal has to tune in to the proper frequency. Since it isn't just a channel 3/4 thing for Dish, then you really need an all-out tuner with RCA outs.

You have a choice
TUNER PTB500 EXTERNAL DESKTOP NTSC TV TUNER BOX TERRESTRIAL & CABLE READY
This is a tuner with RCA outs. No ability to record or do anything else other than tune in the desired signal and output an RCA signal for $89.

Or you can do this:
[EDIT---WOOPS...NO YOU CAN'T... NOT WITH THIS MODEL -- YOU NEED A VCR WITH A TUNER]
JVC - DVD Player/4-Head Hi-Fi VCR - Silver - HR-XVC12S
A hi-fi VCR with all the trimmings for the exact same price.

OR you could get yourself a DVD burner with built-in tuner (replacement for the VCR) for about $180.

See ya
Tony

Woops! Missed the "tuner free" part. Yes that's a problem! The tuner is really the ONLY part you need!

Never mind that unit. However I'm sure if you search the net you will find a cheap VCR with a cable ready tuner for about $100

See ya
Tony

hey road rascal, i have a few vcr's not being used id be able to sell ya one cheap
they all have tuners just not digital tuners
plus im in tc mn as well so shipping would be cheap
let me know, send me a pm

Sorry Stony, I was looking for stuff when you posted. Like a said, any VCR will do the job and buying it from a long-time member here makes it a pretty safe bet.

See ya
Tony

I have a Dish 522 DVR. I'm connecting the TV2 coax output from the DVR to the coax input on my VCR and then running RCA audio/video cables to my TV so I can get sat programming. The single coax jack on my TV is where I get OTA HDTV from (outside antenna). Now that the VCR is broke, is there a way to convert the coax cable to composite RCA cables? I've seen the opposite (RCA to coax, a modulator I think). Or am I going to have to get a new VCR? Thanks.

I don't get it, are you saying your 522 doesn't have RCA outputs like all the rest do, that you can just hook up to your tv? Why would you go: 522 coax out->vcr coax in->vcr rca out->tv?

Why not just: 522 rca out --> TV rca in?

I'm missing something here :confused:

The 522 does have RCA out (for TV2), but I would have to run about 100' of RCA cable to the TV (it's in another room). This wouldn't be a problem if the sat box and TV were close by (I'm using TV1 S-cable out and optical out for the TV in the living room- sat box and TV1 are right next to each other). The old TV (in the family room) was replaced by an HDTV, but I'm using the single coax in for the OTA antenna to get high def. To get DVR/sat functions I run the TV2 coax out to the coax in on the VCR, and then using RCA cables to the new TV. Complicated, I know.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)