rca to vga help

dan188

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Elmira, New York, United States
Can someone recomend a good rca to vga converter. I want to hook up my dvd player to my lcd monitor that has vga input. It also has a dvi imput if this helps as well. I might hook up a cable box as well insted of a dvd player. I will be using spearkers so sound wont be q issue.

RCA as in composite?
Or 3 RCA as in component?

Many NVidia cards of 3-5 generations ago had an adapter included
to convert VGA output to composite and S-Video.

I don't recall seeing anything that does it the other way around...

Diogen.

So, is it composite? Yellow RCA connector?
Haven't used RCA->VGA adapters...

Why don't you play the DVDs on the PC (I guess you have one since you have a monitor)?
You will get better quality video and no need fiddling with adapters...

Diogen.

The problem you're going to run into with the cheapo (<$80) converters is that few, if any, support wide screen monitors. If your computer monitor can't pillarbox a 4:3 signal, you're NOT going to like the horizontally stretched results.

In general, you can buy a newer DVD player with HDMI output for the same money or even less than this converter would cost. As others have mentioned, it would give a better picture than a composite to VGA converter.

I am assuming that the monitor has an HDMI input.

That may or may not work. DVI actually has two standards built in DVI_A (analog) and DVI-D (digital) If it takes a DVI-D signal, you can use a DVI to HDMI adapter plug and conect. Of course, you need another solution for audio in any case.

The DVI connector on the hp 2009m is DVI-D.

What is you DVD player brand/model?
It can't have just a composite out (only VCRs were so limited).

Diogen.

Well, why didn't you say that?
Get a HDMI-DVI cable and you'll get the best you can have with your setup!

Diogen.

Yay! We finally got there after 10 probing questions. I second Diogen. You still need an audio solution though.

Please re-read the last sentence of the OP until you get it.

Really? I guess I'm not familiar with 'spearkers'. Is that some piece of magic that also amplifies the audio to make the sound usable at speakers? Do they convert line level impedances to the 6-8 ohm impedance speakers use?

I imagine that Dan is talking about amplified speakers, but given the vagueness of everything else in this thread, it really isn't safe to assume.

I'm just trying to help here. That felt like an attack and was uncalled for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)