Azbox Editors

greenterror

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
Manitoba
I got my Premium+ last week. I have all the sats scanned and have the channel list on my computer. All I want to do is edit the channel list, no TP's or sats. I've tried the Maz 3 editor with no luck. If I edit the channels on one sat then move to the next one, when I come back to the first one, lots of the channels I deleted are back and occasionally one that I kept goes missing. I also tried the Azboxedit software, but can't find a way to delete channels. All I want to do is delete unwanted channels, and rename some of the keepers. Tried both my computers, one XP, one Win7. Help!

I have to say, that aside from the additional channels and the fantastic picture, this box is quite a disappointment. So much potential, but so many faults. :(

I got my Premium+ last week. I have all the sats scanned and have the channel list on my computer. All I want to do is edit the channel list, no TP's or sats. I've tried the Maz 3 editor with no luck. If I edit the channels on one sat then move to the next one, when I come back to the first one, lots of the channels I deleted are back and occasionally one that I kept goes missing. I also tried the Azboxedit software, but can't find a way to delete channels. All I want to do is delete unwanted channels, and rename some of the keepers. Tried both my computers, one XP, one Win7. Help!

I have to say, that aside from the additional channels and the fantastic picture, this box is quite a disappointment. So much potential, but so many faults. :(

GreenTerror,

Don't be disappointed yet. You just haven't had time to learn the rules just yet. This box takes some time to adjust to. It is more advanced than any other FTA receiver you have been accustomed to up to this point. Once you learn how to manage its quirks (and it does have quirks) you will begin to really enjoy it.

First thing you MUST do is read all the "stickies" at the top of the page. You cannot just browse or skim the instructions contained within. You must work at applying them almost word for word. This box is not quite self-explanatory and it is still an infant.... So, some of the things that you may take for granted with other receivers will not apply to this box.

First rule... Do NOT use the remote to manage and edit your satellites and transponders and channels. This is an inherent "glitch" or "frailty" with the AZBox at this time. Use the editor programs as outlined in the A-Z guide.

Read the A-Z Guide for the AZBox in the stickies at the top of this forum page. Stargaze and I have put that information together for you to rely upon to assist you. There is a LOT of information in the A-Z guide. Stargaze has been very diligent to upgrade it and make this manual all-encompassing, so read it thoroughly. The instructions contained within come from many sources and we (StarGaze and I) have supplied much of the information and tested the the rest ourselves. We know that it all works as long as your box is good. If your box has problems, we have some information for that in there, too. Not everything possible could be included as there are things that we have not seen yet or attempted, but up to this point, we have most of it all covered, 99% of the general stuff anyway.

Rely on the A-Z AZBox manual for all your information. It shoud be well up to date as of the last revision that you can detect by the date from by StarGaze. Any additional information beyond his update will be found here in the posts by individuals in discussions. These will eventually be incorporated into the guide as time avails. You won't find a better guide anywhere, I assure you.

Our site has the best information in the individual posts and all the great stuff from those posts has been compiled into the A-Z guide by Stargaze. There are other sites which discuss the AZBox and how to use it, but we investigate them and confer with them and we (all of us) bring the information here. If there is anything NEW it eventually gets filtered, tested and refined and put in the manual.

If you stick here, and read the manual, you will have everything as accurate and as detailed as you can find anywhere! If any information is lacking, it won't be long before it is included.

RADAR

Last edited:
Thanks RADAR,

I have gone through the A-Z manual. It was quite helpful in setting up the link between the Azbox and the computer. I am able to successfully move files back and forth wirelessly between the Azbox and my computer. I managed to figure out the quirky motor control on my own. I have however, had no luck with the editors. Even extensive Googling and searching on this site found no answers. Others seem to have had success using the Maz editor, not so here.

I realize these receivers are a work in progress. My impression from the reading I've done led me to believe that most of the major bugs had been worked out, guess that was premature. Two irks I have about this machine are not software related, that being the loud fan and the "clicky" remote. Suppose I'll have to live with those regardless.

If you comprehend that these macines are a "work in progress" then you will do fine. Hang your hat and discuss every aspect that comes up for you. We will figure it all out eventuually.

You know that we are working for and with you.

RADAR

that being the loud fan and the "clicky" remote

Couldn't agree with you more, also that "Clicky Remote" re the Buttons seems very slow to respond at times, even with new Batteries installed! The Plastic Case around my Remote also is not as sturdy as many other Remotes I have owned, and the battery cover lid is loose fitting, and also clicks when I am holding it. Maybe its just my unit.

Re the "Fan Noise"... some users I think in the UK have removed the existing Fan & installed a much quiter fan, but I would not recommend going there. Also don't know if you have tried the BlindScan yet, - it is painfully slow, but as Radar has stated, we need to get used to the Azbox quirks. However after you see the first few FTA HD Channels and the great Picture, it seems to make up for some of these Quirks.

Last edited:
I blind scanned in everything from AMC-6 to G23(so far, I always work east to west). I changed the min. freq. to 3700Mhz, and the min. S/R to 2000. probably took about 10 min. per satellite doing it that way. I'm not really a feed hunter so I find I find the time it took acceptable. If you were into feed hunting, I can see how you would want something faster.

About the fan noise, right now all my gear is out in the open. Thinking of getting a cabinet for the video stuff at least. My DVD recorder has a fan too, quieter than the Azbox fan, but I can hear it from where I sit, ie: too loud(audiophile ears :D).

It's not all bad. I was sort of surprised that all the DVB-S2 channels are doable with my 7.5' BUD, wasn't expecting that. Those feeds on G16 are pretty cool too.

Now, if someone had reliable channel editor..............Anyone?

Last edited:
Greenterror,

Currently, the best editors are those listed in the A-Z Guide. MaZEdit and AZBoxEdit. I am working on another, SetEditAZ, but it is not a FREE program and it has a glitch that I have not resolved.

Fan noise issue: With the Premium Plus, with its external power supply and especially if you are using an "eco-green" HDD, you could possibly get by with the fan turned OFF. You would want to monitor the temperature for a while, to make sure that it doesn't get too hot. You can turn the fan OFF/ON in the settings menu.

I don't find my fan too loud. I suspect that this varies from unit to unit. Some fans may be more loud than others, even though the AZBox model is the same.

RADAR

I'll give the Maz program another shot. Maybe try frequent saving while editing. That really is a bizarre glitch, I notice that if I've been editing and then scroll quickly through the satellite list while watching the total channel number it will magically change. It seems to be adding channels I've deleted back in. Yet, if I open a list I edited previously, as long as I don't make any changes it seems to be solid. Anytime I save, close the program, and reopen about half the channels I deleted are back, very weird.

Let me know if you get your editor working, it would be worth it to me. Unless of course your pricing structure mirrors Microsoft :D

I don't have a HD yet, but would definitely buy a "green" one when the time comes. I noticed the option of turning the fan off, but is that safe? Would hate to cook my new toy right off the bat.

Greenterror,

Currently, the best editors are those listed in the A-Z Guide. MaZEdit and AZBoxEdit. I am working on another, SetEditAZ, but it is not a FREE program and it has a glitch that I have not resolved.

Fan noise issue: With the Premium Plus, with its external power supply and especially if you are using an "eco-green" HDD, you could possibly get by with the fan turned OFF. You would want to monitor the temperature for a while, to make sure that it doesn't get too hot. You can turn the fan OFF/ON in the settings menu.

I don't find my fan too loud. I suspect that this varies from unit to unit. Some fans may be more loud than others, even though the AZBox model is the same.

RADAR

Can you describe the glitch with setEditAZ program?

Can you describe the glitch with setEditAZ program?

It is really bizarre, but I will try.

If I attempt to add a NEW or additional satellite to the list, the progam wants to place it in the category of a "terrestrial broadcast TV source" and not in the "satellite broadcast" grouping. I can drag and drop the new satellite to the satellite list and insert it in the proper orbital location (degrees wise), but then it doesn't always seem to appear in my satellite list (anywhere) in the box after uploading to the box. If it does show up, it is in the TV mode where you would browse the channels and sats and is 'greyed out", but it never appears in the antenna setup list. Thus, I can never SCAN the satellite.

Further-more, all the satellites above it (higher orbital positions) seem to be deleted (or else all satellites lower than it are). AND... All the channels from every satellite seem to then appear to be moved or duplicated to the nearest adjacent satellite to the one that I added (either to the nearest satellite upwards in the list or the nearest satellite downwards in the list from the added satellite).

It is really odd, but I think that the problem is related to it (the editor program) adding the satellite to the terrestrial antenna listing. Trying to analyze this issue with the author at this time.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts