Azbox HD and playing Bluray files??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pro96

You Member, Member ?
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 18, 2005
OC
I was wondering if by adding a BR-Rom to the AZBOX HD will it play Bluray movies.
Well I have an external BD-ROM and connected it via USB but did not read it.

When you go to option 4 in the menu which is play video and you scroll down to the available ways to search for file it finds the USB1 and USB2 and CDROM.

Well the CDROM is not via USB so has anyone tried to add a CDROM/DVDROM or BR-ROM internally??

Since the AZBOX plays .MKV + or HD formats... I am sure it will play a Bluray disc.

Hmmmmm

The encryption mess that the studios use on their Blu-ray discs should prevent that.
Read up on Blu-ray playback on Linux. (Short version: Not happening with studio-pressed discs)

From what I've read, you'd be looking at something like:

1. Use AnyDVD HD to rip the Video off the Disc.
  2. Convert to .mp4/.m4v/.mkv/.avi in appropriate format (480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p) http://www.videohelp.com/forum/arch...vert-blu-ray-to-mp4-hd-or-mkv-hd-t358185.html
  3. Load on Azbox HDD
  4. Enjoy!
Any one have better news?

Disclaimer: I Don't condone piracy, I give this info freely as the given question and have given what I understand as a fair-use answer.
If any mods/staff have a problem with this, PM is open.

I'm guessing that the DRM on Blu-Rays (and DVDs for that matter) is going to keep this a little difficult. Heck, I know someone who couldn't play a BR on his own computer because his monitor was too old.

The more likely option is to rip your BR to a file and make that folder shareable.

There are programs for a PC (commercially available, not black-market pirate fodder) that will allow playback of commercial Blu-Rays on any monitor, apparently filtering out HDCP and allowing playback regardless of the DRM. This has been a non-issue for quite some time. Whether or not this software can be ported to run on an AZBox, however, would be the question.

Will it play files ripped from a Bluray disc? Now that would be cool.

I did that last night since I have a few BR discs I own. I ripped a file directly from the BD into my pen drive, it was an m2ts file of a trailer and the AZBOX play it w/o a problem.

I didn't rip the actual movie m2ts file since it was about 40GB

Might have to get one of these... I've heard you guys talk about this box. Might have to look up the specs on this one. Not sure if I read a thread right, but doesn't this do 4:2:2 HD too? Just no blind scanning DVB-S2 right?

I hate having the physical discs around the house... kids will eat 'em! Even though they are older now, love having all my DVD's on my media server. Have 3 Xbox1's with XBMC on them for watching DVD's from it around the house. Haven't jumped into the Blu-ray stuff yet since I didn't have anything to play them on the TV reliably...only have a AMD 4200 X2 for an HTPC.

Figuring out a spot to setup the dish

Might have to get one of these... I've heard you guys talk about this box. Might have to look up the specs on this one. Not sure if I read a thread right, but doesn't this do 4:2:2 HD too? Just no blind scanning DVB-S2 right?

I hate having the physical discs around the house... kids will eat 'em! Even though they are older now, love having all my DVD's on my media server. Have 3 Xbox1's with XBMC on them for watching DVD's from it around the house. Haven't jumped into the Blu-ray stuff yet since I didn't have anything to play them on the TV reliably...only have a AMD 4200 X2 for an HTPC.

I TOLD you, HARD HEAD, to come SEE it! :D

Yeah, I'm overdue to take you up on that AZBox tour as well :) ... I just have to be sure I've got the cash when I do, because I know I'll be rushing home to get on E-Bay and buy one ;) ...

Yeah, I'm overdue to take you up on that AZBox tour as well :) ... I just have to be sure I've got the cash when I do, because I know I'll be rushing home to get on E-Bay and buy one ;) ...

You never know, you may not like it. Its ig-nent sometimes, takes a little getting used to, but, I'll be buying another, very soon. :haha

ok.. did a test last night once again. I did a google search and found a decent way to rip a whole Bluray disc into my HDD.. then transferred tthe movie file (which was aprox 32GB) into my portable HDD. Connected it to the Azbox and it had trouble playing it, most likely due to the high bitrate a bluray m2ts file has. The night before did a part of it which was a trailer and play it fine, then again the trailer must be at a lesser bit rate then the actual movie file

So probably has to be a lower bitrate to playback just like when you try to record HD contect directly from the AZBOX.. it hesitates when you play it.

ok.. did a test last night once again. I did a google search and found a decent way to rip a whole Bluray disc into my HDD.. then transferred tthe movie file (which was aprox 32GB) into my portable HDD. Connected it to the Azbox and it had trouble playing it, most likely due to the high bitrate a bluray m2ts file has. The night before did a part of it which was a trailer and play it fine, then again the trailer must be at a lesser bit rate then the actual movie file

So probably has to be a lower bitrate to playback just like when you try to record HD contect directly from the AZBOX.. it hesitates when you play it.
Try TSMuxer GUI and set for under 1 Gig splits and see what it does...

Try TSMuxer GUI and set for under 1 Gig splits and see what it does...

Buddy of mine made a backup of his Quantum of Solace BluRay. Copied the 8GB file to my external usb HD and the AZBOX plays the H.246 .m2ts file FABULOUSLY.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)