OTHER Seeking Guidance on Free-to-Air Satellite Receivers and Encrypted Channels

ILoveSats

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2023
America
Hello Fellow Satellite Enthusiasts,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm currently in the market for a new satellite receiver, specifically one that can pick up Free-to-Air (FTA) channels. While browsing through Amazon, I came across several models, such as those from GT Media, that offer features like an 8.265 TV satellite decoder, CA smart card support, and Biss Auto roll.

From what I understand, these features are generally used for accessing pay channels. So, my first question is: Why would these features be included in a receiver that's marketed for FTA channels? Is there a specific advantage to having these features even if I'm only interested in FTA channels?

Additionally, I've been exploring this forum to find information on how to purchase services for encrypted channels. I've noticed that when using a Free-to-Air receiver, a blind scan can sometimes pick up encrypted channels. Is there a way to contact these specific stations to purchase their programming? I didn't find any threads that cover this topic, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I look forward to your insights and recommendations.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2023-09-05 21-01-08.png
    Screenshot at 2023-09-05 21-01-08.png
    461.9 KB · Views: 105
Those are pirate receivers, and we aren't allowed to speak about those capabilities in this forum. They do it because it sells a lot of receivers, and makes them money. But, it's illegal, regardless of the fact they get away with selling them for a time.

There's no longer a true mechanism for a person to purchase channels through C-band satellite. That ended a long time ago. Those channels are NOT meant for backyard people, and do NOT ever call them, even if there's a phone number on a test card. That's been proven to be a very bad thing

Those are pirate receivers, and we aren't allowed to speak about those capabilities in this forum. They do it because it sells a lot of receivers, and makes them money. But, it's illegal, regardless of the fact they get away with selling them for a time.
Just to clarify, Conditional Access Smartcards can be used legally in Europe (purchased from the provider), but also can/has been used for hacking. Biss Auto roll, as far as I am aware is only for hacking.

Since most receivers are for the European market, rather than North America, some receivers have a CA Smartcard slot.

Reactions: Clarbear and FTA4PA
Yes as has been mentioned. Stay far away from anything that says Biss Auto roll. That is designed for one thing and one thing only: hacking. Which of course is illegal. You don't want to get mixed up in that. What is funny is it may have some sort of auto roll feature, but I have had people email me the same questions. They bought a receiver knowing it was shady. Then email me asking(hoping) I would tell them what to do to fix it.

But what happens is things change up completely so guess what, no matter what you do the box, will no longer steal paid programming. So they have a paper weight because they didn't care about true FTA to begin with.

So, yeah stay way from those boxes. Also, 99% of them have a card slot. As Keith said, that is for Europe and other countries where you can buy a card, and use it legally for pay channels...in that country. Will not work in NA, we have nothing set up like that here.

I appreciate the insights and information shared in this discussion, particularly concerning the legality of certain products available on Amazon. As a former Amazon seller who has navigated the labyrinthine patent verification process, I find it disconcerting that the platform still hosts products that appear to contravene North American regulations.

My experience as the Founder of Taganize, Inc., a company specializing in patented contactless dog tags, has made me acutely aware of the importance of adhering to legal and ethical standards in manufacturing, product development and sales. Therefore, I commend those who have brought attention to the questionable legality of the receiver in question.

However, it's worth noting that while we've collectively identified a product that may not meet regulatory standards, we have yet to propose a viable, legal alternative. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for receivers that are compliant with North American regulations and meet the high-quality standards that consumers like us expect.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to your suggestions and further enriching this discussi

However, it's worth noting that while we've collectively identified a product that may not meet regulatory standards, we have yet to propose a viable, legal alternative. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for receivers that are compliant with North American regulations and meet the high-quality standards that consumers like us expect.

Here are some viable, legal alternatives. ;)