AZBOX azbox minime firmware flash

jsebean

Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Nova Scotia
Hello all!
So I purchased an Azbox Minime a few days ago and tried to set up a dish (posted regarding it earlier). I got fed up with aiming the dish on the Azbox and used a different receiver and aimed the dish successfully. I was reading on this forum that some people were having issues with the version 1.5 of the Azbox Mimime firmware so I downgraded to 1.2 as it appeared some were doing that only to discover some missing features. I figured since I never really had any issue with 1.5 I upgraded back to 1.5 via the internet upgrade method only for it to fail (Must have currupted or something?). Wouldn't boot.

There is a recovery switch on the back of the Azbox receiver that implys something: recovery. Boy was I wrong. Apparently it deletes everything and gets you to reflash it again. Now I can't reload the Azbox firmware that the receiver came with via internet using the Azbox recovery interface nor via USB.

So I go looking around for firmware. I see there is OpenRSi, OpenAZBox and Aztrino, which is the firmware that the canadian version seems to be based on. I installed Aztrino but it doesn't include a list of satellites for north america. What makes things worse is I can't even get the source code for the north america azbox firmware because the guy I emailed said it was "Propriatary" because they were "working on an IPTV solution", even though the Aztrino firmware explicitly says it is released under the GNU GPL v2, so this is clearly copyright infringement.

So the question is, does anyone know of any firmware that will work for here in Canada? I'm not all too impressed with this receiver. I was told it was nice only to find out you can't even get it to work! :mad:

There is a recovery switch on the back of the Azbox receiver that implys something: recovery. Boy was I wrong. Apparently it deletes everything and gets you to reflash it again. Now I can't reload the Azbox firmware that the receiver came with via internet using the Azbox recovery interface nor via USB.

There is a reference sheet describing the proper recovery procedure for the miniMe American Edition that comes in the box with every unit which you apparently did not read. It clearly states in bold letters that the recovery switch should not be used under any circumstance as it will erase everything including the safe mode feature since the factory recovery system is incompatible with the miniMe American Edition. There should have been a piece of black tape which you had to lift off in order to reveal this switch.

At this point, your unit will have to be shipped back to your dealer who will get us to reflash and recertify it as an American Edition device. Once this is done, your receiver will be as you initially received it and your 2 year warranty will be reinstated.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada & US

Last edited:
There is a reference sheet describing the proper recovery procedure for the miniMe American Edition that comes in the box with every unit which you apparently did not read. It clearly states in bold letters that the recovery switch should not be used under any circumstance as it will erase everything including the safe mode feature since the factory recovery system is incompatible with the miniMe American Edition. There should have been a piece of black tape which you had to lift off in order to reveal this switch.

At this point, your unit will have to be shipped back to your dealer who will get us to reflash and recertify it as an American Edition device. Once this is done, your receiver will be as you initially received it and you 2 year warranty will be reinstated.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada & US

I saw no reference sheet and I bought it from you but I saw the reference sheet online so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt I probably misplaced it. What is so wrong with telling us how to flash it or provide a build so that we can flash it ourselves? What if someone accidently flips that switch, we're reliant on you to fix it? If that is the case, if I sent it back can the switch be removed so that can't happen?

I saw no reference sheet and I bought it from you but I saw the reference sheet online so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt I probably misplaced it. What is so wrong with telling us how to flash it or provide a build so that we can flash it ourselves? What if someone accidently flips that switch, we're reliant on you to fix it? If that is the case, if I sent it back can the switch be removed so that can't happen?

It's not that we don't want to tell people how to do it but rather the fact that it can't be done by the end user as the flash chips need to be reflashed over here in order to convert the unit back to American Edition. Future hardware versions will have the switch physically removed in order to avoid this from happening.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada & US

Hello all!
So I purchased an Azbox Minime a few days ago and tried to set up a dish (posted regarding it earlier). I got fed up with aiming the dish on the Azbox and used a different receiver and aimed the dish successfully. I was reading on this forum that some people were having issues with the version 1.5 of the Azbox Mimime firmware so I downgraded to 1.2 as it appeared some were doing that only to discover some missing features. I figured since I never really had any issue with 1.5 I upgraded back to 1.5 via the internet upgrade method only for it to fail (Must have currupted or something?). Wouldn't boot.

So I go looking around for firmware. I see there is OpenRSi, OpenAZBox and Aztrino, which is the firmware that the canadian version seems to be based on. I installed Aztrino but it doesn't include a list of satellites for north america. What makes things worse is I can't even get the source code for the north america azbox firmware because the guy I emailed said it was "Propriatary" because they were "working on an IPTV solution", even though the Aztrino firmware explicitly says it is released under the GNU GPL v2, so this is clearly copyright infringement.

So the question is, does anyone know of any firmware that will work for here in Canada? I'm not all too impressed with this receiver. I was told it was nice only to find out you can't even get it to work! :mad:

can You tell me which firmware you use for reflashing( after erase all with recovery)?...and how you did it...only USB i think?

can You tell me which firmware you use for reflashing( after erase all with recovery)?...and how you did it...only USB i think?
This was nearly 5 years ago. To be quite honest with you, I was quite disappointed with the receiver and got a geosatpro microhd at the time. I did however send it back to be reflashed. I do not use it now but still have it, so if you bricked yours then you're welcome to buy mine ;)

At this point, your unit will have to be shipped back to your dealer who will get us to reflash and recertify it as an American Edition device. Once this is done, your receiver will be as you initially received it and your 2 year warranty will be reinstated.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada & US
I find your answear a little hard, I just received a new Azbox ! I have similar problem.
1- There is no Balck tack tape what so ever on the Azbox.
2- The second spec you are talking about wasn't sent with the azbox, I found is on Azbox website when my box stuck on starting and I googled to find out why.
3- If we don't need that switch disconnect it. (I'm in firmware for at least 20Y)
4- The link you are giving on you famous sheet for usb download is INVALID.

The minimum you can do is to stay polite with your client once they paid your AzBox minime America.

bought mine from DrSat Canada, and I called them and 65 minute waiting on the phone , not answer just a nice music no help at all from AzyBox America or DrStat . My advice to all Stay Far from this immature amateurish product

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)