AzBox Open Box Compairison Please.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stoker_x1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
US
I own an AzBox and have had it for months. It will do 4:2:2 and picture quality is great. However, it is a very buggy machine. When it works right it is the best, but normal things FTAers do with their receivers sometimes sends it into a tail spin. Example, when trying to upgrade SW, my box would not default to the five choices offered from a hard restart. Instead it would go straight to setup. Could not clean application area. Reason: My AzBox would not read the USB stick I owned on hard reboot. Bought four sticks before I found one that would work. If you blind scan to much, it will start corrupting the SR's of neighboring Sats. Memory chip to small for the work the receiver is being asked to do. There are other problems too, but will list them another day.

On the other hand, if you limit the number of sats used and do not store lots of channels, then you will have one excellent machine. It is a slow machine that at times can put you to sleep but it will get the job done.

I own a viewsat 2000 ultra and it is very fast, provides excellent picture quality and will store thousands of channels without a problem. That leads me to the question I would like to ask.

Understanding that OpenBox will not do 4:2:2 directly (USB yes), could someone tell me if this box is fast like my Viewsat and can I store as many Sats and Channels as I want without causing the receiver to become buggy? What is the picture quality like? I need an everyday machine that is well supported. My AzBox will take care of 4:2:2.

Cheap price is a plus, but don't want to buy a receiver that wont do the job. I'm looking for a work horse for primary use. My Viewsat is falling behind with all the changes over the last six months.

Thanks for any information you can share with me.

Stoker, I can't speak about the Azbox, I only read what others post good or bad. I have the Sathawk same as the openbox....I got mine almost a year ago right after they first came out. I use the HDMI connection on my 32"LCD no problem...TV doesn't have any issues doing the AC3 audio...I got the channel editor software so I wouldn't lose everything each time there was a firmware update...Really no complaints here..great for the money....Blind

Just wondering if the Skybox and Openbox are really the same box just with different names. The manufacturer said they are the same. Also, how many channels can be stored in this receiver?

Thanks for your reply as every comment helps.

Compared with the Azbox, the Sathawk/Solomend/Openbox is a VERY easy box to use. It's also not nearly as quirky . You'll like it ! Anything that it doesn't do, you have the Azbox as a backup. What could be better ? ( Maybe me buying it for you would be better, I suppose :) ) . Don't count on THAT !
:)

Hey....thanks for your comments. That is what I have been thinking. I have read a lot of reviews for Openbox, but they don't list how many channels can be stored. For me that is important, because it says a lot about the memory chip and processor speed. Found one supplier that claimed this receiver has a 300 MHz MIPS Processor, but no information about channel storage capacity.

All and all, it seems to fill most of the basic needs I'm looking for. Also seems to have lots of support for software upgrades and they do address bugs when posted.

Thanks again.

Brent, I usually don't read the entire post, but I do like the idea of you buying one of these for me. Well Thanks.

I understand that there is a FW update titled "OpenBoxS9.us". If you buy the Openbox from manufacturer, can this file be found and download to install in an Openbox direct for China? I hope it is OK to ask this question.

This would be good to know. Thanks.

"Reason: My AzBox would not read the USB stick I owned on hard reboot. Bought four sticks before I found one that would work."

Try formatting the memory stick or card in the device it will be used in. I've had several digital cameras that would not recognize a memory card unless it was formatted in that particular camera.

Some USB sticks do have a proprietary interface pre-installed that must be removed before using the stick with devices other than a Windows computer. There is usually a software tool available from the manufacturer's web site to remove this software and format it to FAT32.

I never considered that. Will try it. Anyway now own five sticks and that might be good for PVR.

I still can't get an answer for how many channels can be stored and "OpenBoxS9.us". Hope someone can supply an answer because I think this is important.

I have the OpenBoxs9.us firmware . It's dated 11-08-2010 and except for a few new transponders on G-19 , I don't see a particular difference in the firmware. It'll be available for you , if you want it. I haven't seen any spec on number of channels, but I'd be surprised if it was fewer than 10,000 . 300 Mhz MIPS processor is printed on the box. Far more channels than I'm likely to want to keep on hand, that's for sure.

Thank you very much. Obviously Elvis is in the building. If your thoughts on channels is true, that could explain the speed of this receiver. It's strange that unlike other receivers this Openbox receiver doesn't seem to have any downside (with the exception of 4:2:2).

Thank you with regard to the FW!!!

I think I have to have one.

There are plenty of downsides, but it's very functional. It's not at all quirky, which is nice.
Downsides :
1) If you select 720 or 1080 resolution, the composite video output doesn't work, there's no conversion.
2) No RF output.
3) no manual PID entry with remote.
4) No way to find out FEC or even whether or not channel is DVB-S or DVB-S2 .
5) Suspect abilities on Hi bitrate feeds.
Very useable box, nonetheless.

With so many people using this Openbox, do you think these problems can or will be solved in future updates. Also, I hate to sound dumb, but what do you mean by "No RF output"?

Also, Can you still select composite video and all works fine from there?

All this information is great and the fact that people like you will take the time to answer and educate,,,,well that is very nice. Thanks.

I am also very close to buying this box, but i am hung up on that no rf problem unless set to 480. i have one hi def tv and a bunch of smaller tvs in different rooms that are all connected by coaxial cable. i would really like to be able to view all of them.
Kodaz

I am also very close to buying this box, but i am hung up on that no rf problem unless set to 480. i have one hi def tv and a bunch of smaller tvs in different rooms that are all connected by coaxial cable. i would really like to be able to view all of them.
Kodaz

It's not going to work for you , as this box is presently configured. There is NO RF OUTPUT at all. The Composite output doesn't work unless it's in 480i mode. You would need a component video to rf converter, then feed that to a multi-outlet distribution amp. Kinda a lot of trouble, I'm actually using that setup, and I don't recommend it.
:(

hi stoker_x1. just to play devils advocate AZ seems to be on the verge of a firmware update. i obviously don't have a timeframe for when (it could be months from now if ever) but if it fixes most of your az issues then you've wasted your money. AZ's main website AND their firmware updating website is down now for upgrading which i believe is a prelude to issuing a MAJOR firmware upgrade. ( i could be wrong of course maybe i'm just wishing since the current firmware is lacking) i hear your pain about the AZ though ... I have a plus with a DUAL tuner. you thought messed up info on one tuner was bad sometimes i have info from my ku band tuner appear in the c band tuner.

It's not going to work for you , as this box is presently configured. There is NO RF OUTPUT at all. The Composite output doesn't work unless it's in 480i mode. You would need a component video to rf converter, then feed that to a multi-outlet distribution amp. Kinda a lot of trouble, I'm actually using that setup, and I don't recommend it.
:(

Yes, but will it downconvert an hd channel so that you can view it 480? and does the rf converter show a non screwed up picture of the hd channel? This could still work for me as i weigh prices and options.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)