Azbox Premium Plus - DMSI SG -2100 Motor

donaldelee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
For quite awhile, I have attempted to install a motorized dish for a friend of mine.
Initially, it had a bigger motor, and worked alright with the Azbox, and a 1.2 pan.

This new motor initially had power from the receiver, and made the motor work. And, the buttons to move it East to West worked. Now there is no current to have the light on the motor indicating current. The trouble shooting on the DMSI manual states to turn the motor off, and then turn the motor back on. The only way I know to turn the motor off, is to turn the Azbox off. And, disconnect the coax from the STB, or, the motor. This has all been done. I have held the buttons down for quite a while, and no lights on the DMSI SG - 2100.

1. Is there a way to measure the current from the Azbox that attaches to the coax that goes to the motor, to determine if the Azbox is putting sufficient current to the motor?
2. The Azbox will not turn off. I attempt to shut down the STB, and it states "Preparing" for the longest time. So, I eventually change the menu to "Sleep." Thanks!

There appears to be several views; however, no replys. Has anyone else experienced this with the DMSI SG 2100.
After some research I believe the newer DSMI SG 2100 does not have the reset button that can be reset with a paper clip. The manual says: "HARDWARE RESET" A. Turn off the power to the motor. [Presumably use the switch in the back?] B. Press and hold both of the EAST/WEST buttons at the same time. Turn on the power to the motor. The LED will flash ORANGE. Continue to hold both buttons until the LED stops flashing. Memory is now erased and motor is now reset. C. Re-program for the desired satellites." All suggestions is appreciated. I believe now, I may need to follow the instructions closer, and have someone holding the East/West button while the STB is off, and then, after about 15-30 seconds turn the power back on? ? ? Thanks for all suggestions!

SG2100's have two different main boards. One has one button for East/West movement, the other has two buttons, one east and one west. Sounds like you have a 2 button model. Power is cut by disconnecting the coax. I use a slide connector for this. Before you do the reset, you should have power to the motor and an LED will be lit. If not there would seem to be a bad motor here. if it's lit, pull the slide connector, press and hold the two buttons and push the connector back on. The led should flash indicating the reset.
If you have a volt meter you could check the coax to see if you have voltage at the motor. A motor that needs reset should still move by pressing the manual buttons.

The SG 2100 with the 1.2 Fortec Star lasted approximately 20 minutes. Which motor will actually handle a Fortec Star 1.2? My opinion is the Stab HH 120 is a very good motor for a dish that size. However, I can not find a Stab HH 120.

Thanks!

Those motors can be problamatic. I've fought issues with them a lot. The best fix I found was to mod the motor to use an external power source to move the dish. After doing that mod I had no more issues. It also runs with full voltage all the time and therefore moves a lot faster. A laptop power supply works good. I used the transformer from a DishPro adaptor.

The SG 2100 with the 1.2 Fortec Star lasted approximately 20 minutes. Which motor will actually handle a Fortec Star 1.2? My opinion is the Stab HH 120 is a very good motor for a dish that size. However, I can not find a Stab HH 120.

Thanks!
Did you try the DG380 Motor from Sadoun. I use that to move my 1.2m Geosat Pro Dish.

Babadem,
Presently, I am awaiting the arrival of the DG380. I had it ordered only a short time; hopefully, it may arrive tomorrow. I also ordered a compass from them. For $10.00. And, a incline meter. My research indicates that it may not be as good as the Stab HH 120. I have found some on the Internet. If the DG380 should fail my next possibility would be to rebuild the Stab HH 120. The ones I saw on the Internet are around $159.00. Expensive! Has anybody rebuilt the Stab HH 120?
Thanks!

Babadem,
Presently, I am awaiting the arrival of the DG380. I had it ordered only a short time; hopefully, it may arrive tomorrow. I also ordered a compass from them. For $10.00. And, a incline meter. My research indicates that it may not be as good as the Stab HH 120. I have found some on the Internet. If the DG380 should fail my next possibility would be to rebuild the Stab HH 120. The ones I saw on the Internet are around $159.00. Expensive! Has anybody rebuilt the Stab HH 120?
Thanks!

Hi donaldelee. Sorry to hear of your Stab motor failure. I have 2 Stab HH120's ( one in service 24/7 and one spare). Your research will tell you they are great motors. They have good motors/are very quiet/use less current/use all metal gears. What failed on it? Did it just stop working completely one day or fail gradually over time? In my experience the problems were somewhere else and NOT the motor. For example bad cable or switch or connectors or exceeding the motor weight limits. I have heard of rare failures of one or the other of the two circuit boards inside. The warranty on a Stab 120 is 2 YEARS from date of PURCHASE. Is it still under warranty ? If it isn't under warranty then I would suggest taking the bad one apart to see what is broken. It's only four screws and it comes apart. Please note and be CAREFUL when taking it apart not to break the ribbon cable! I have attached some photos the inside of my spare for reference. There isn't much to fail and since it's already broken you have nothing to lose. You should be able to get it working again and have a spare motor.

Attachments

• Photo135.jpg
    Photo135.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 564
  • Photo136.jpg
    Photo136.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Beavs2112,
Thanks for all of the information! You have asked a very good question, and certainly deserves an answer. The motor did not fail! Someone hit it! It bent the arm extending to the LNB [Invacom QPH-031]. I believe it would have lasted for 50 years, had this not happened. My friend took it apart, and tightened the nut. However, it did not last. It will rotate easily. I do believe it can still be rebuilt? ? ?
Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts