AZBox Ultra HD

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
There's a bunch of things you can say about the folks in Miami that sell AZBoxes but slow shipping isn't one of them!! Ordered a new Ultra from them on the evening of the 5th, got shipping notice from them on the 7th and it was delivered to my door about 30 minutes ago via USPS and mind you this time period was over a weekend too. Too bad they don't answer Emails that quickly.

So I have a new toy to play with today!!:up

So, for everybody who has one, what's the blind-scan speed like these days? Is it decent, or still slow? (The Ultra does have hardware blind scan, right? It's more or less the same as the Premium Plus except no built-in wifi, no SATA?)

So, for everybody who has one, what's the blind-scan speed like these days? Is it decent, or still slow? (The Ultra does have hardware blind scan, right? It's more or less the same as the Premium Plus except no built-in wifi, no SATA?)

Blind scan is slow but I never timed it and I wouldn't know about how it compares to other receivers. The ultra has SATA but no drive. No wifi but rumor has it that a usb wifi device can be attached but the ultra is fussy about which wifi device will work with it. I'm still looking for a usb wifi that'll work with it.

MOST devices other than general-purpose computers are fussy about what USB wifi adapters they'll use. I don't know what the difficulty would be with supplying multiple drivers, it's not like there's a million different wifi chipsets in common use (there's like what, three manufacturers? RALink, Broadcomm, and Intel?) and it's not like memory is excessively expensive these days.

Scanning is slow but you can shorten the parameters of TP scanning range to shorten time. It take up to 12 minutes to do complete scan, if you don't change the parameters. What I sometimes do is to study TheList and set the lowest frequency (say, 12900 to 12200). Sometimes the blindscan doesn't get all the TPs but in the advanced scan mode I can program the TPs missed (but mentioned in TheList) and scan it in. Unlike the other FTA receivers, it is a rather pain to program but the end results is GREAT!

Also enjoy the PVR part. Almost as good as DTV DVR. I hate the EPG sucks but I learn to go to the program website to find out what show is showing and program it into the Ultra, the satellite, channel, and day and time.

Nice thing about it is I pulled down the channel/sat data off my Elite that I've been working on for about a year and uploaded those files to this new Ultra and it picked up and ran right along so I'm doing scans now to see what else might be up there since it's been a while since I checked some sats.

I was using my old Pansat 3500 to blind scan and was having to sit in front of the TV to record the TPs and SR as it would drop out some of the ones it couldn't play. So for me this Ultra might be slow but it's a damn site better than the way I was doing it as now I can watch some OTA or do something else while it's scanning.

I hear the Openbox s9 is suppose to be really fast and it does miss a few just like the rest. I may wind up with one of those when I put up my 3rd dish this spring.

BIG BOYZ TOYZ!! Gotta love'em!

Now need a good channel editor!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)