AzboxEdit Uploading Problems with Premium Plus

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Well got my new AZbox Premium Plus today, and as a test, succeeded in Scanning in 97.0W my True South Sat, BUT some extra channels are there as they Blind scanned in twice. Not sure how to sort out the Polarity issues. That is, on my Viewsat I could tell when the H TP's were being scanned in and then I would switch over to V when those TPs were being scanned in. Is there a way to determine this with AZBox? Got 312 channels which I feel is about 60 too many for 97.0W. Is TV Scan the way to go rather than FTA Scan? I did BOTH but wouldn't do that again.

It took a while but got the Internet connection working to my Router. Great u Tube Videos, ie. a French Inventer with a car that runs on compressed air!!

But I still cannot figure out how to FTP that Sat list re the .xml file to the AZBox!! I can load the customized .xml sat list onto the AZBoxEdit and all 46 Satellites are there, but when I try to upload it to my Premium Plus I am doing something wrong. Can anyone offer any helpful suggestions?

If you use universal mode in the LNB Frequency. when you scan a satellite Tp

you will get duplicates channels when blind scaning.

set it to LNB Frequency to 10750 for Ku/Band or 5150 for C/Band.

Regards Billion.

But I still cannot figure out how to FTP that Sat list re the .xml file to the AZBox!! I can load the customized .xml sat list onto the AZBoxEdit and all 46 Satellites are there, but when I try to upload it to my Premium Plus I am doing something wrong. Can anyone offer any helpful suggestions?

What's happening? Just to be clear, you don't upload the .xml file to the Azbox, you have to use the .xml to create DVBS.dat and antenna_list.dat , and FTP THOSE files to the Azbox. Also, after doing that, I think you should reboot the Azbox via the switch on the back. If that's what you're doing, what's happening?

If you use universal mode in the LNB Frequency. when you scan a satellite Tp

you will get duplicates channels when blind scaning.

set it to LNB Frequency to 10750 for Ku/Band or 5150 for C/Band.

Regards Billion.

Thanks Billion, I was using Frequency Setting 10750 for 97.0W it's all KU Band.

What's happening? Just to be clear, you don't upload the .xml file to the Azbox, you have to use the .xml to create DVBS.dat and antenna_list.dat , and FTP THOSE files to the Azbox. Also, after doing that, I think you should reboot the Azbox via the switch on the back. If that's what you're doing, what's happening?

Thanks B.J. I am Loading the .xml file into the AZBoxEdit program, with no problems - it loads in ALL 46 Satellites. The problem seems to be in creating DVBS.dat & antenna_list.dat then FTPing them to theAZBox Receiver, but I'll try again & reboot the AZBox thanks for your help.

......Also, after doing that, I think you should reboot the Azbox via the switch on the back.

B.J. and Jsattv and all others;

I would like to make a short comment about "rebooting" and hard power cycles (flipping the switch on the back of the receiver). I would personally recommend that you install the newer firmware versions which have the safe shut-down menus and utilize either the "SHUT DOWN", "STANDBY" or "REBOOT" options before pulling the plug or flipping the power switch on the back of the receiver.

The AZBox is more of a PC than it is a FTA STB receiver, so we should treat it as such.

You know what happens when you shut down a Windows PC without following the normal routine... When you reboot, it knows that you shut it down improperly and wants you to check the system and scan all drives for possible errors. The AZBox is the same way, in essence, although it won't prompt you to perform the disk check and test. If it was shut dow improperly and it messes something up, it is just going to be "messed up" until you repair it by starting over from scratch.

So, please avoid performing a hard shut down of your AZBox. Most of the time, you may not ever notice a problem, but when you have spent so much work at it, and have created so many files and directories and transferred movies and add-ons and plug-ins, you don't want to screw that all up and have to start over from scratch.

With older firmware versions that don't provide you with this shut down menu, simply power down with the remote (puts the AZBox in a semi-standby mode) and then turn the rear switch OFF. It isn't as good as the newer firmware versions, but it is all you can do.

RADAR

Last edited:

I would like to make a short comment about "rebooting" and hard power cycles (flipping the switch on the back of the receiver). I would personally recommend that you install the newer firmware versions which have the safe shut-down menus and utilize either the "SHUT DOWN", "STANDBY" or "REBOOT" options before pulling the plug or flipping the power switch on the back of the receiver.

The AZBox is more of a PC than it is a FTA STB receiver, so we should treat it as such.

I understand the logic of what you recommend, however I tried that once or twice and had problems using that option. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the problems were, but it impressed me enough that I decided that I'm never going to use that shutdown method again.

But for me, the big thing is that ANY piece of electronics, be it receiver, computer, toaster or vacuum cleaner.... if it can't survive a hard power shutdown, then it's not going to survive in my house, so I'm better off finding that out sooner rather than later, because in my house, power outages are a regular occurrance, calling them daily is an under-estimate.

Anyway, I have had ZERO problems using the power switch reboot. I know that Linux systems can be susceptable to non-controlled reboots, but if the system is designed properly, it shouldn't be a problem. I have also tried the reboot method using the telnet connection, and that doesn't end well at all. Every time I've rebooted via telnet, I've had to get up out of my chair and flip the switch on the back anyway, because it just isn't a clean reboot.

Anyway, I wish I could remember my issue with the menu you mentioned, but for me, the power switch is the only method I trust. If it works for you, then that's great. I wish I had a way to reboot that didn't require me getting up out of my recliner, but haven't found a way yet.

I understand the logic of what you recommend, however I tried that once or twice and had problems using that option. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the problems were, but it impressed me enough that I decided that I'm never going to use that shutdown method again.

But for me, the big thing is that ANY piece of electronics, be it receiver, computer, toaster or vacuum cleaner.... if it can't survive a hard power shutdown, then it's not going to survive in my house, so I'm better off finding that out sooner rather than later, because in my house, power outages are a regular occurrance, calling them daily is an under-estimate.

Anyway, I have had ZERO problems using the power switch reboot. I know that Linux systems can be susceptable to non-controlled reboots, but if the system is designed properly, it shouldn't be a problem. I have also tried the reboot method using the telnet connection, and that doesn't end well at all. Every time I've rebooted via telnet, I've had to get up out of my chair and flip the switch on the back anyway, because it just isn't a clean reboot.

Anyway, I wish I could remember my issue with the menu you mentioned, but for me, the power switch is the only method I trust. If it works for you, then that's great. I wish I had a way to reboot that didn't require me getting up out of my recliner, but haven't found a way yet.

B.J.

Based on your electrical service performance and reliability, I think I would install an UPS! I say so slightly jokingly, but still with a bit of sincerity, I wouldn't be happy with that kind of power service at all!

Also, to be totally honest with everyone, I had been using the rear switch for hard power cycling and rebooting without any problems. So I cannot really state that this is all that critical. Although I still recommend following the suggested procedures just as you would with your home PC. I just think that it is the most wise thing to do.

To each his own, of course, and any way that you are comfortable in doing it is totally up to each individual.

RADAR

B.J.

Based on your electrical service performance and reliability, I think I would install an UPS! I say so slightly jokingly, but still with a bit of sincerity, I wouldn't be happy with that kind of power service at all!

:) Yeah, I'm not happy with the power service, but living in a heavily wooded area, where the power poles snake through tree limbs, I realize that it's next to impossible for the power company to keep the service up. The power lines snake through tree limbs, and also, the roads are narrow and the poles are close to the edges of the road where they can get hit. All it takes is a tree limb to come down, and it will result in at least an outage of a couple seconds, which is usually enough to reboot most of my units. The power company has crews out every year, clearing tree limbs along the roads, but it doesn't take long for them to grow back. I'm pretty much at the end of the line, so any thing happens between here and a station 10 miles away, and I get these short outages. When major storms come through, the power's generally out for hours, days or once it was 8 days. But usually the outages are just a couple seconds.

I think I've owned about 6 UPS units, of which only 2 still work, due to over-use, plus since I'm running 6 computers and multiple sat receivers, TIVOs, and other electronics, I can't keep everything on a UPS unless I buy some very expensive ones. I had one pretty powerful one, but it died too, so I figure it's cheaper to buy several cheap ones. I DID have the Azbox on a UPS for a while, but the UPS it was on was one of those that died, and I haven't had a chance to replace it.
When I did have several of the UPS units operational, when the power went out, it was beep beep beep beep coming from all over the house, usually in the dark, and most of my UPS boxes are in areas where they are hard to get to to turn off.

Thanks B.J., well finally succeeded in creating the Antenna File and DVBS Files. How do you Upload them to the Azbox? I have tried a FTP Pro program I have several times but it keeps saying failed to send file? Do you send it to the IP address on the Azbox or is there another way? Also will this NEW LIST of 46 Western Satellites automatically replace my existing LIST of 125 Satellites? That is how / where does the NEW Sat List show up on the Azbox?

:) Yeah, I'm not happy with the power service, but living in a heavily wooded area, where the power poles snake through tree limbs, I realize that it's next to impossible for the power company to keep the service up. The power lines snake through tree limbs, and also, the roads are narrow and the poles are close to the edges of the road where they can get hit. All it takes is a tree limb to come down, and it will result in at least an outage of a couple seconds, which is usually enough to reboot most of my units. The power company has crews out every year, clearing tree limbs along the roads, but it doesn't take long for them to grow back. I'm pretty much at the end of the line, so any thing happens between here and a station 10 miles away, and I get these short outages. When major storms come through, the power's generally out for hours, days or once it was 8 days. But usually the outages are just a couple seconds.

I think I've owned about 6 UPS units, of which only 2 still work, due to over-use, plus since I'm running 6 computers and multiple sat receivers, TIVOs, and other electronics, I can't keep everything on a UPS unless I buy some very expensive ones. I had one pretty powerful one, but it died too, so I figure it's cheaper to buy several cheap ones. I DID have the Azbox on a UPS for a while, but the UPS it was on was one of those that died, and I haven't had a chance to replace it.
When I did have several of the UPS units operational, when the power went out, it was beep beep beep beep coming from all over the house, usually in the dark, and most of my UPS boxes are in areas where they are hard to get to to turn off.

B.J.

Sounds like you would be well served with a small solar/wind generator and some huge storage batteries in an outbuilding, rather than a UPS. And then maybe a propane or diesel generator for extreme backups.

I would like to have that, myself. I live out in the boonies, too. But, not as many trees and not that many power outages.

RADAR

Last edited: