Azimuth Setting

Flytyer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Varous Places
Using an Azimuth of 128 degrees as an example on a Dish 1000.4 or even a Dish 500 which part of the dish is used as a reference to aim? Is there a photo or graphic that shows an example??

The instructions do not answer the basic question.

I am looking for a reference point on the dish or mount to use as a sighting point.

With the skew adjustment, it gets confusing which part to use to point.

Using an Azimuth of 128 degrees as an example on a Dish 1000.4 or even a Dish 500 which part of the dish is used as a reference to aim? Is there a photo or graphic that shows an example??

Flytyer,

The azimuth is the number of degrees Magnetic that you should use to point the dish. Since everybody's mounting location is different it would be impossible to print azimuth degrees on the mounting pole or the actual Dish. The elevation is the same for each installation so those are printed on the the Dish, as well as the Skew on the Dish. The Skew setting should be set before you even start trying to mount the Dish. You will be given a skewing setting in degrees either Clockwise or Counterclockwise. Simply use the Red Mark on the Skew Arc, or the Locking nut, on the back of the Dish as the pointing indicator.

Get a Compass to determine the correct azimuth to point your Dish too. The LNBF mounting arm should be the part of the Dish you use to point to the proper Azimuth.

Remember you should use the settings you are given as a starting point, its quite likely you could get better signal strength by adjusting the Azimuth and Elevation slightly plus or minus a couple of degrees of the given Dish settings.

Do not vary the Skew angle.

John

Last edited:
I think what you are trying to ask is how can you visually point the dish before you use a meter. The dish kinda points at 72 or 77 61.5 is to the left (looking from the back of the dish). HOWEVER a 1k4 dish is not easy to point, it is VERY SENSITIVE and the difference between a good signal and no signal is 1/2 degree you can give it a try but if you have no experence this is not the dish you want to point I would suggest having your local dish retailer do the job.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)