[B]L2.92 enables PocketDish!!!!![/B]

I am buying a cheap pocketdish today for testing

I am about to hook up my 622

I am buying a cheap pocket dish, the middle one, since the low end one works a bit differently according to the dish site.

I will try ghosting it to a usb hd as a starter.

I don't mind if the pocketdish 'breaks'

I am made of money :D

phat_bastard said:
You think? And all that time I thought I was talking just to hear my head rattle.

There are a myriad of possibilities. It could be looking for data in unused sectors on the disk, hidden file(s), a very specific file + folder structure, specifically sized / placed partition(s), a particular brand and / or model of hard drive, or any combination thereof. The way to find out is to clone a PD disk and find the piece(s) needed through a process of elimination. Unless you have a PD to start from you're wasting time.

Man, what is with the people on the forum lately, seems like everyone has a bad attitude.
I thought of all the possibilites you mentioned also and my post was not in response to anything you posted, it was in response to the user who said that XP only saw it as a fat32 filesystem. I didn't look after I posted to notice that I forgot to quote the post.

I would suspect that ghost will not work if you turn on compression, you are going to want and exact bit by bit copy of the PD drive.

Also, no you do not need PD to start with as I have gotten my 522 to see my 4gb memory stick, but I cannot do anything with it (but it does not say unsupported device). My memory stick is formatted with ext3 filesystem.

Another thing that might be interesting is since the PD's are basically just rebranded Archos products, I wonder if the receivers would work with the Archos devices themselves or if dish modified the Archos device to have an identifier in there for the receivers.

Last edited:
SatinKzo said:
Man, what is with the people on the forum lately, seems like everyone has a bad attitude.

My apologies - I was simply irritated by reading what I thought was another "me too" post with no technical substance beyond the painfully obvious. It makes sense now taken in context with the post you were replying to.

SatinKzo said:
I would suspect that ghost will not work if you turn on compression, you are going to want and exact bit by bit copy of the PD drive.

I think you are confusing compression with partition resizing.

SatinKzo said:
Also, no you do not need PD to start with

I think you will need to start with a PD if your goal is to make a generic USB hard drive appear to the receiver as a PD. Without being able to substantiate and quantify the possibilites you're not experimenting, you're just guessing. I would have no reservations whatsoever about taking apart a brand spanking new PocketDish for this purpose, if I could only justify to myself spending ~$600 on a personal entertainment gadget. :eek:

SatinKzo said:
as I have gotten my 522 to see my 4gb memory stick, but I cannot do anything with it (but it does not say unsupported device). My memory stick is formatted with ext3 filesystem.

Interesting tidbit, since fat32 has somewhat crippling file / partition size limits.

Last edited:
Connecting a SANDISK 256MB Cruzer mini will pop-up that a device has been plugged in, but when I try to access it or send to device, it reports 'not supported'.

It also notified me when I removed the thumbdrive. No lockups, but no progress either. :tux:

phat_bastard said:
I think you are confusing compression with partition resizing.
First of all, no hard feelings.
No, I don't think I am confusing compression and partition resizing I just think we are not seeing eye to eye on this one.

Here is what I mean and the results in my use of the new versions of Ghost, the only way I can get a true bit-to-bit copy is to use absolutely no compression (not fast nor high).
If I turn on compression and then Ghost a drive that I have filled with 0's, when I apply the image, the 0's are gone. But if I leave compression off and do the ghost, the 0's are on the new drive.

I am still intrigued by what would happen if you plugged in a non-PD Archos AV700 to the receiver ( I assume the E on the end of the PD model means Echostar). I unfortunatley can't justify the expense to just see what would happen. Although if I can find one locally I could just return it the same day. I just have no use for the device.

Hmm, on the Archos site under their Portable DVR's
http://www.archos.com/products/tv_centric/index.html?country=global&lang=en
The main pic sure looks like a 942 is being used with their non-PD models.

Last edited:
SatinKzo said:
If I turn on compression and then Ghost a drive that I have filled with 0's, when I apply the image, the 0's are gone. But if I leave compression off and do the ghost, the 0's are on the new drive.

Ah, ok. Depending on where the 0s are, it may or may not matter. If within the allocated partition area, then it really wouldn't matter. Applications can't write data there without following the rules of the filesystem, because if they do when you plug the drive into your PC and write files this data can be overwritten. Now if ghost won't image the start sectors bit for bit with compression on then that would be a problem.

SatinKzo said:
I am still intrigued by what would happen if you plugged in a non-PD Archos AV700 to the receiver ( I assume the E on the end of the PD model means Echostar). I unfortunatley can't justify the expense to just see what would happen. Although if I can find one locally I could just return it the same day. I just have no use for the device.

Yes, it's an expensive experiment.

USB Device ID fields

It may be as simple as matching some of the Device ID fields from the pocketdish. If someone with a Pocketdish could run this program:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stream/vidcap/UVCView.mspx

Provide a dump of all of the fields and we can compare it to a regular flash drive. Then we can look for ways to reprogram a flash drive's ID fields if there is an obvious vendor string or something similar.

SatinKzo said:

Hmm, on the Archos site under their Portable DVR's
http://www.archos.com/products/tv_centric/index.html?country=global&lang=en
The main pic sure looks like a 942 is being used with their non-PD models.
I have the AV700 and recently tried connecting to the 625. I confirmed I have L292 and once connected the AV700, I am able to scroll through the entire process of downloading the file until the actual download. Once selected, it doesn't download and states "done" with the download. I've tried changing the format from HDD to Windows Device, but then the 625 doesn't recognize the AV700.

Anyone with any experience with the pocketdish AV700E? I'm not sure how to proceed, but if someone with a 625 and av700e can contact me, we can troubleshoot on issue and post our results.

Hi. New member here

I have the AV500 100 GB non Dish Archos device and it does not work with the Dish HD DVR. My question is how can I get it to work. I called Dish support and they say that there is both a sofrtware and a hardware difference between the PcketDish and regular Archos models.

Looking for a creative way. Thanks

That's correct due to the encryption of the Dish DVR recording it will only work with the PocketDish and not the Archos models.

Does the DVR encrypt it before sending to Pocketdish? From the dishrip forums on Yahoo, it sounds like the DVR recordings on the hard drive are unencrypted.

Here's my check it out results for this USB port thing.

I have 2 USB Flashdrives.
One is a USB 2.0 drive -- in the Dish DVR 522, it won't even recognize it.
The second is USB 1.1 Drive -- the Dish recognizes it, but doesn't allow me to Manage or Transfer anything.

I'm thinking, and according to what I remember reading some time back, this USB port is only 1.1 compatible and won't even look at a 2.0 device. I also remember reading that the OS on the Dish Network is some kind of Linux/Unix Variant. I probably won't recognize NTFS and probably not FAT32. On the flashdrives I used, the first was FAT32, but when I tried to reformat it, it had somehow become write-protected. The second was already FAT.

Don't know if this helps anyone, but it is kind of exciting. Last time I hooked up my flashdrives to my Dish, it totally went blank and I had to unplug it to reset it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)