Back from Signal Hill Cali

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gremlin411

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
South East Texas
While driving around Signal Hill and Long Beach I saw some fta setups wish I would have had a camera. But for sure the weather was real nice.....

It was a work thing, had to try and help with a new branch in that area get setup. If they would have had all the parts they needed it would be done , but now might have to go back later and finish......

Big talk, no pix! - :eek:

What was so interesting?
Might drive by and get that photo you missed, if it's really something.
I'm in the area, too.
You sure your not just thinking about microwave communication dish farms up there.

Actually, since they put so many condos on the hill, I haven't been up there lately.

When I was a kid in High School , we used to drive up there and park, to "watch the submarine races in the harbor"! - :D
Yea, submarines... at night... :eek:

Hey all I can say is Curly's has a bunch of dishes on the roof of his place. A big bud maybe 12' and a old 84e and dtv dishes I am sure they are all for veiwing for his customers while they eat. skierrob I might have seen your place my GPS went out on my rent car and I was driving for a hour trying to find my way back to Junipero street. lucky I saw Curly's place and all was fine from that point.

What was so interesting?
Might drive by and get that photo you missed, if it's really something.
I'm in the area, too.
You sure your not just thinking about microwave communication dish farms up there.

Not exactly FTA, but have you seen the dish farm at the intersection of Via Oro Ave. and Hughes Way (right next to the 710/405 interchange)? I think it's one of the uplinks for 123W. Among other things they have a 25m toroidal with 15 or so LNBs on it. It's right next to the street so it should make for some good photos (if it weren't such a long drive for me I'd do it myself).

Not exactly FTA, but have you seen the dish farm at the intersection of Via Oro Ave. and Hughes Way (right next to the 710/405 interchange)? I think it's one of the uplinks for 123W. Among other things they have a 25m toroidal with 15 or so LNBs on it. It's right next to the street so it should make for some good photos (if it weren't such a long drive for me I'd do it myself).

That appears to be DirecTV's California Broadcast Center.
DIRECTV - Locations

DirecTV? overhead pix:

Well, I didn't exactly drive by, but if this is [ame="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=33.829094,-118.211499&spn=0.001916,0.002747&t=h&z=18"]the location[/ame], you can push in one more click to see it closer.

what ya missed on Signal Hill:

Signal hill is the bump in the landscape, where the oil is located.
So, there were pumping rigs all over the hill 'till a few decades ago.
Then, they built very expensive homes up there.

So now, all that's left is the city of Long Beach's radio towers (first pix)

Another view but note the two 4 foot (?) dishes down below. (second pix)

Here's Curley's Place, pump on the right side (3rd pix)
Pump to the left side (4th pix)
Dishes on the roof (5th pix)

Down the street, there is a liquor store, holding to the old-time look (6th pix)

Attachments

• Tower02-PICT4522.jpg
    Tower02-PICT4522.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Tower01-PICT4521.jpg
    Tower01-PICT4521.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 204
  • Curley01-PICT4517.jpg
    Curley01-PICT4517.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 224
  • Curley02-PICT4518.jpg
    Curley02-PICT4518.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 191
  • Curley00-PICT4515.jpg
    Curley00-PICT4515.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 177
  • LiqourStore01-PICT4525.jpg
    LiqourStore01-PICT4525.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 183
Thanks Anole.
That is the spot I was talking about.
when I saw the fta dishes I was lost on way back from lunch. So I did not think about taken any pic. When I found ocean blvd I turned on it and drove till I found Cherry and I new it passed close to where I was working so I started up that way and finally saw CurLey's. Then I felt much better........

Ya know, Grem -

I drive around there all the time, and think nothing of it.
If I took pictures of every building with a dish on it...
... which reminds me....
Now that I've found my camera, I really should shoot the local Post Office ! - :rolleyes:

Anyway, happy to bring Curley's Place back to ya.
It's pretty good to eat lunch at, too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts