Back to Dish @ the Iowa State Fair

Bogy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
Last week several things came together. I had in the back of my mind that it had been about 2 years since our last update with DirecTV, but hadn't thought a lot about it. Then my wife plopped the latest DTV bill (bundled in with our CenturyLink bill for landline and internet) down in front of me and asked if there was something to do to lower it. This triggered the next thing, was that I realized we were out of contract as of last April. Only way to lower the phone/internet bill in our little Iowa town is to go to Mediacom, which offers faster internet, and at least in the beginning it's cheaper. When it works. So I ultimately rejected it. That leaves 2 options for TV. Stay with DirecTV, or switch back to Dish. We moved from Dish to DirecTV about 5/6 years ago, and had upgraded once, and negotiated lower prices a couple of times. The DirecTV part of the bill was $160.00. We still had Choice Xtra Classic grandfathered for our programming, and since the upgrade 2 years ago had a H44, 3 wireless Genies, and my old H24. We have 1 4K TV, 4 other HDs, and 2 SDs I mirrored that seldom are used. We got the 4k after the last upgrade, so didn't get the H54 at that time.

The other thing that occurred was the Iowa State Fair. Both DirecTV and Dish are always prominently represented, and it gives me the opportunity to talk face to face with someone as well as to look at the equipment. We went last Saturday. Came to the DirecTV booth first and talked with a couple of the guys there, but of course they couldn't really make me any kind of deal like retention could. They did have derogatory things to say about Dish. Walked down to the Dish booth. There I talked with one of the reps about what kind of deal they could make me for the equipment I wanted, and the programming I wanted. Basically, the monthly bill came to $99, for 2 years. Hopper 3 and 4 Joeys. Said I still wanted to check with DirecTV retention. The rep told me the deal they were offering was for the fair, but he did give me a card and said if I got back to them in the next few days I could probably still get it. Wife and I kept on looking at the displays, and when we got to the other side I got stopped by another rep (big booth, went through to both sides.) Told the rep I had already talked with the other guy, but he kept talking. The equipment display was on his side of the booth, so he gave me a demonstration. Talked again about what I needed and what it would cost. As the first rep had done, he encouraged me to set an installation date, then I could talk with DirecTV retention, and if they made me a really good deal I could cancel. Told him we were going to go get some ice cream and I'd think about it. Which we did, and at that point I told my wife we were going to go back and set up the installation date. So we did. The two reps I talked to split the commission. I don't think the deal I got was a whole lot different than I would have gotten anywhere else, but I'm getting:
Top 200
Hopper 3
4 Joeys
an Echo Dot
Free Sports Pack
HBO free for a year
Other movie channels for 3 months
$50 off my first months bill since I wasn't interested in the Mayweather fight.
and we'll be mirroring the 2 SD TVs like I am now.

When I got home I called DirectV I called retention and told them I needed my bill as close to $100 as possible, 4K equipment, and retention of the same channels I had. And I needed a price guarantee for 2 years. The best she could do for 2 years was $130 a month, plus the NFL Sunday Ticket, which is not what I wanted. If I would have settled for a 1 year guarantee she could have gotten it to $120, and then I would have been up to about $140 again the second year. So I said no. I have to call back Monday to actually order the disconnect, they can't schedule it for the future. They did call yesterday, my wife talked to them, and they were supposed to be calling me, but I have not heard anything. It will be interesting to see if I still get a call offering me a better deal before Monday.

About 10 years ago I signed up for Dish the first time. At the Iowa State Fair. Looking forward to the new setup. We are planning on retirement in 3 years, so being out of contract at that time will be beneficial, since at this point we still have no idea where we will end up. We'll see who will make us the best deal then, wherever it is we are.

I might be around more often again if I have questions with the new installation. Right now, the only thing I've been debating with myself is should I remove all the current boxes before the installer gets here, or wait till he comes. As I said, three of the locations have wireless Genies. However, they all have cable in place from the previous installations. I thought the wireless aspect might be advantageous, but we never really used it, and the cabled boxes should be more stable. Any installers have their opinion to share?

I might be around more often again if I have questions with the new installation. Right now, the only thing I've been debating with myself is should I remove all the current boxes before the installer gets here, or wait till he comes. As I said, three of the locations have wireless Genies. However, they all have cable in place from the previous installations. I thought the wireless aspect might be advantageous, but we never really used it, and the cabled boxes should be more stable. Any installers have their opinion to share?

I'm an installer. It's appreciated if you remove the DirecTV equipment but we don't require it and we can we move it for you. The Dish Network – it's not gonna fit on the DirecTV mast so be ready to know that the DirecTV mast will have to come down if it's on the roof and the new mast installed near the same place as long as there is a line of sight. Since you're in Iowa I'm not sure if that is an eastern arc or western arc area or if either maybe used. The hopper three requires 3 GHz cable and I'm sure that's what DirecTV used although there is some discrepancy on whether they're perfect vision cable is good for a Hopper system. Personally I have always used it and never had a problem. The most important thing I can say is that instead of removing the DirecTV boxes, just make sure that whoever comes to do your installation has access to the area around and behind the televisions

Last edited:
First off, thanks to everyone for the welcome back. I didn't post much in the last week, but I was around reading and getting up to speed on what I was going to want. Once again, this forum was a great help. I was just thinking that there are people here who were on previous forums that go back to the 90s when Primestar was bought out by DirecTV, and I needed to make a decision about the best way to go. IMHO this is still the friendliest, most helpful place to come when you have questions about satellite TV.

HipKat, thanks for your input. Believe me, nobody wants to get on my roof without a hoist. Big old two story with a walk up attic and a walk out basement. The first Dish installer mounted the dish to the side of the house from our deck. The DirecTV installer could not get a good line of sight because of a power pole between the house and alley. He put a pole in the ground in front of the deck, and I'm hoping the Dish dish can use the same pole. I'll collect up all the DirecTV equipment Monday morning, the installer is supposed to get here sometime around noon to 2. I'll do as I have done before, have the cables laid out before he gets here. Usually installers are more than willing to let me assist them when it comes to the primary TV, with the whole stack of boxes.

BTW, I remembered the other thing I got for signing up with Dish. I received a $25 gift card. I remembered because I used it tonite to take my wife out to dinner. :)

First off, thanks to everyone for the welcome back. I didn't post much in the last week, but I was around reading and getting up to speed on what I was going to want. Once again, this forum was a great help. I was just thinking that there are people here who were on previous forums that go back to the 90s when Primestar was bought out by DirecTV, and I needed to make a decision about the best way to go. IMHO this is still the friendliest, most helpful place to come when you have questions about satellite TV.

HipKat, thanks for your input. Believe me, nobody wants to get on my roof without a hoist. Big old two story with a walk up attic and a walk out basement. The first Dish installer mounted the dish to the side of the house from our deck. The DirecTV installer could not get a good line of sight because of a power pole between the house and alley. He put a pole in the ground in front of the deck, and I'm hoping the Dish dish can use the same pole. I'll collect up all the DirecTV equipment Monday morning, the installer is supposed to get here sometime around noon to 2. I'll do as I have done before, have the cables laid out before he gets here. Usually installers are more than willing to let me assist them when it comes to the primary TV, with the whole stack of boxes.

BTW, I remembered the other thing I got for signing up with Dish. I received a $25 gift card. I remembered because I used it tonite to take my wife out to dinner. :)

Although it's not officially authorized, many times if there is line of sight I will put one of our poles inside the DirecTV pole and secure it will self tappers and then mount our dish on that. There are also Pole adapters which dishes also decided are not authorized and The best scenario is if the DirecTV pole can be pulled out of the ground and replaced with one of ours.

Monday my install was done. Had everything ready for him, as much as I could. Showed him where everything needed to go. Even though the last installation was with wireless Genies, most of the TVs have two cables running to the site, from when we had Dish previously, one for the OTA signal. I long ago labeled all the cables that come to the junction in the basement for my own convenience. The only cable he had to run was one two my wife's basement office. That was because I was using the cable that was there to mirror an SD TV. I've been mirroring two SD TVs in the basement off the one box in her office, and we kept the setup I already had. He did attach his Dish to the top of the pole that was already there. Installation was less than two hours for five TVs. It was in the running for the easiest/quickest installation I've ever had. Certainly easier than when I had Primestar installed and the installers set off a chain reaction that dropped most of the panels in a dropped ceiling in our basement.

So far, very pleased with this edition of Dish. The guides, in both the Hopper and the Joey's are very quick. Likewise, the skip is quicker, especially on the Joey's. Haven't recorded anything yet that the hopper feature works with, looking forward to that.

Also on Monday, I called to disconnect DirecTV. Of course the rep tried to talk me out of it. I told her it was too late, installation was gong to happen in less than an hour. I told her that the person who talked with my wife on Thursday or Friday, should have called the number she gave them and talked to me then. This rep said they didn't do outbound calls. I told her that she didn't help her case by calling my wife a liar. She finally did the disconnect. On Tuesday, I received a call from another DirecTV rep in retention. Again, told her it was too late. She actually made me a very good offer, one that I probably would have taken a week before. $50 less per month than the previous best offer, and it would have only gone up $4 the second month. She tried to tell me Dish didn't do 2 year commitments, and I was going to get stung the second year. I told her I had a signed contract for 2 year price lock. And that it was too late. That they should have made me that offer a week earlier. I asked her if DirecTV was going to buy out my brand new contract? She said they would give me $200, and I said that wouldn't do it, that they had waited too long to make me their best offer. The catch on why the offer was so low was that I would keep the same equipment I had, H44, H24, and 3 Genies. I still might have done it, for the price, if they had given me that price before the installation.

I mentioned that I had not had the opportunity to use the "Hopper" feature yet. Last night I resumed a program we had started the night before, and for the first time since Monday was asked if I wanted to use that feature. Which, of course, I did. Worked great, but I wonder if that is something that takes a few days to download in a new installation?

I mentioned that I had not had the opportunity to use the "Hopper" feature yet. Last night I resumed a program we had started the night before, and for the first time since Monday was asked if I wanted to use that feature. Which, of course, I did. Worked great, but I wonder if that is something that takes a few days to download in a new installation?

It’s only available on select prime time recordings. Only on PTAT recordings and is very limited.

One of the neat things that I like is that you can start watching a program in one room and then stop it. Start watching it in another room and then stop it. And then the third time you start watching it it will ask if you want to pick up where you left off in the first room or in the second room

Reactions: littlecloud319
And, depending on the stations, it might take a few days before autohop is available, due to contractual limits.
This is closer to what I was asking. Wednesday night we watched all but about 15 minutes of a two hour program. America's Got Talent, a prime-time program. Thursday night I resumed it for the last 15 minutes (and yes, we had watched most of it downstairs, then watched some more in the bedroom, and then turned it off for the night, and it asked me which room I wanted to resume from, as HipKat said). On Thursday night it asked me if I wanted to autohop, which it did not do on Wednesday night. Also asked me when I started the next recorded program. So, something kicked in on Thursday which had not been there previously.

I had to reboot the Hopper tonight. If the problem I had is common, and has been addressed previously, I couldn't find it. Might be because I don't know exactly what to call it, and going back several pages I didn't see anything that it looked like the same issue.

While watching live TV I tried to rewind a few seconds, and while I got a message on the screen that said it was doing this, the picture didn't change. Thought that was strange, and was wondering if there was something I was doing wrong. Then we tried to watch a recorded program. We would got the "timeline" in the upper right hand corner, and it would jump like it was fast forwarding through the program, then the screen would go black. Pressing DVR/Guide/etc. would bring back a signal. It did this on several different recorded programs. Fortunately, the only thing being recorded at this time was something I really didn't care about. (did the same thing if I tried to watch the currently recording program.) So, I rebooted, and everything worked like it should again. But now I'm wondering if this was a one time glitch, or if this is a frequent problem?

I had to reboot the Hopper tonight. If the problem I had is common, and has been addressed previously, I couldn't find it. Might be because I don't know exactly what to call it, and going back several pages I didn't see anything that it looked like the same issue.

While watching live TV I tried to rewind a few seconds, and while I got a message on the screen that said it was doing this, the picture didn't change. Thought that was strange, and was wondering if there was something I was doing wrong. Then we tried to watch a recorded program. We would got the "timeline" in the upper right hand corner, and it would jump like it was fast forwarding through the program, then the screen would go black. Pressing DVR/Guide/etc. would bring back a signal. It did this on several different recorded programs. Fortunately, the only thing being recorded at this time was something I really didn't care about. (did the same thing if I tried to watch the currently recording program.) So, I rebooted, and everything worked like it should again. But now I'm wondering if this was a one time glitch, or if this is a frequent problem?
Don't recall anyone reporting such behavior. So, NO, not a frequent problem. You might simply have a bad box. If it continues, call for a tech visit.

Reactions: Bogy
With the weekend, and celebrating birthdays for my 7 year old granddaughter and my 53 year old sister, we had a house full of people, instead of the normal 2. I deleted stuff I didn't order and didn't record, so it's hard telling exactly what else happened that I don't know about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts