Backing up Bluray to MKV with TrueHD/DTSHD audio

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
How are you all backing up your blurays to MKV w/ DTS or TrueHD audio? What is the best solution? I'm wondering as I just purchased a PCH A300 and am beginning to backup everything to NAS.

I suppose Matroskva containers have broader support, but can you remove the very annoying upfront trailers and region coding?

I use any DVD to folders and am extremely pleased with the results.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I suppose Matroskva containers have broader support, but can you remove the very annoying upfront trailers and region coding?

I use any DVD to folders and am extremely pleased with the results.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
I usually make a full disc backup to a folder using DVDFab(I'm pretty sure that removes the region coding) and then run the Blue-ray ripper part of DVDFab against the backup to create the MKV and that allows me just to select the main movie.

Also there is an excellent freeware program called mkvmerge that can join any mkv you may encounter that were split for smaller file size purposes. and it will also convert MP4 to mkv and is fast.

I'm experimenting know with MakeMKV for Mac. It is faster than AnyDVD was and it would give me broad support for ripping.

I don't need to re-encode etc -- and I'm ripping at a sustained 13MB/second. Not stupid fast and the NAS is the limiting factor. It would run faster but it's on green drives and it is running out of space. Both of these limit the throughput.

I'm working on my Bluray rips, and it is worth the effort. I'm saving anywhere from a few GB to 15+GB depending on the rip. I keep the chapters and the movie just plays...

For existing rips, it only runs about 1.2x (6 MB/second) but I'm doing double duty there as I am reading and writing from the NAS.

I am pretty sure the popcorn hour will play them. I will look at mine and see tonight.

Cool, thanks. I was considering getting the new C model and throwing a 2TB drive in it. I guess the next question is how do I get the Iso or MKV onto that drive in the PCH.

Just trying MakeMKV on my new Retina Macbook Pro. Using an external Samsung Bluray Drive.

Are these speeds ok? (See picture below)

John have you been able to play any of your MKV files on your Hopper? I am told that the Hopper plays mp4 files well. Wish I could find a Bluray ripper that would do mp4. :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-26 at 9.41.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-26 at 9.41.56 AM.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 254
That speed was about what I had on a PC with a blu-ray drive using freeware... it can fluctuate heavily though depending on how the disc was encoded (I would do some rips that would take 15 - 30 minutes and others that would take 3+ hours)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)