Backing up Bluray to MKV with TrueHD/DTSHD audio

We'll all have our preferred methods. I started with rips to folders and isos, but as I've been working with this longer I find that the nearly instant gratification of click and watch the movie is what I want.

For the few times I watch extras, I can pull out the physical media.

Cheers,

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

They all seem to work fine, depending on needs, but like I said, the new PCH boxes have some issues with seamless branching blu's, and full ISO is about the only safe bet for now of not having a hangup. Im sure they'll fix it.

How are you all backing up your blurays to MKV w/ DTS or TrueHD audio? What is the best solution? I'm wondering as I just purchased a PCH A300 and am beginning to backup everything to NAS.
Backup is the wrong term to use if your goal is to play the copy.

Ok, not to hijack the thread, but here is something for you file gurus.

In my research of the new 300 series PCH, I've found about a few bugs, none of which are biggies, but need prep for. It seems the C-300 has issues with some Iso's and DTS HD tracks, but this isnt an issue for me, my concern with the A-300 is it wont play well with some Seamless Branching movies. Now, there are a LOT of them, and until this bug is fixed, the consensus is to just rip to M2TS, which is also nice because it removes everything but the main flick and audio track. Using DVDFab Copy "Main Movie" will not work properly for the A-300. Many are using Clown BD, because it is free, but its not as user friendly IMO. Also, when you throw the disc in and end up with 4 tracks showing, all the same length, its a crap shoot as to the right one unless you use another program to preview them first. Now the DVDFab Ripper has this, Im using the trial right now. My question is, how does the Ripper know the right track to compile and use when there are several?

One example is Aliens, which has the Theatrical and longer 1990 cut. When I threw it in, DVDFab Ripper chose track "800", which is obviously the Theatrical cut at 2hrs 17 mins. What Im wondering, in this case, could I choose "801" which is obviously the better 1990 cut at 2hrs 34 mins? Also, looking there were two more options, "850" which was right next to the "800" track and exactly the same length, then "851" which was right next to the "801" track and exactly 2hr 34 mins. What gives?

Here is a shot of John Carter, as you can see it has two tracks that are the same length, and DVDFab Ripper chose one. How do you know" 800" is a better choice than "801"?

Untitled-1.png

You have an older model right? For some reason I think the C200 and A200 do fine with Seamless Branching, this is just a current bug in the new model. I guess I may just have to use the DVDFab Ripper to M2TS, and go with the fielders choice. Once I have it ripped to the PCH drive, Ill just have to test it out each time.

I have the C200, I have not noticed playback issues, so perhaps it is just confined to the newer models. I do all ISOs, even my reds are bluray ISOs now.

Yes, it is currently the new models, just a bug. I'd love to just do a full rip to Iso, its easy :)

I spoke with some nice guys at DVDFab, and the long initial scan time (when I put a Seamless Branch/Multiple Track movie in) is DVDFab Ripper determining in the back ground which one to rip to the single M2TS file. I guess the good thing about this method is, just ripping the movie and lossless track gives me full PQ/AQ at a smaller file size than Iso, plus no menu or trailers to deal with. Not all bad. I'm just going to buy a lifetime for Passkey and the Ripper at the end of 30 days, then in October when my Slysoft expires, Ill buy a lifetime for the DVDFab Copy and be done with it.

Any time I add a new flick, the best move will be to fire up the PCH and skip around in it and make sure everything is kosher.

Scott,

So far, i am able to stream DVD ripped to mkv and music, but not Bluray ripped to mkv. i haven't delved into why, vc-1 vs h264 or soundtracks but they don't complain, i just get a black screen.

cheers,

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Use DVDFab Copy for my Spears and Munsil Disc and DVE Disc Iso's, so I can check some minor calibration stuff within the A-300. I figure Iso playback of the calibration disc should allow me to run test patterns and accurately check the video performance. Then used the Ripper to get two of my flicks ripped to M2TS, seemed to work well, went fast, and they look fine checking their playback in VLC player.

Kinda cool firing up the flick and it going straight to the movie LOL.

2hr 6 min movie is 20.6 gb's, and a 1hr 43 min movie is 25.0 gb's if that makes any sense :). I guess the shorter flick is encoded at a higher bitrate than the longer flick, but I love the fact they are 20 gigs. I should be able to cram a lot on the HDD for the A-300.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)