Backing up Bluray to MKV with TrueHD/DTSHD audio

Just trying MakeMKV on my new Retina Macbook Pro. Using an external Samsung Bluray Drive.

Are these speeds ok? (See picture below)

John have you been able to play any of your MKV files on your Hopper? I am told that the Hopper plays mp4 files well. Wish I could find a Bluray ripper that would do mp4. :D

That's a pretty good speed. You could re-encode with Handbrake. You could even script it so it runs in the middle of the night completely unattended, monitoring your rip directory, then copying it up to a NAS.

Just trying MakeMKV on my new Retina Macbook Pro. Using an external Samsung Bluray Drive.

Are these speeds ok? (See picture below)

John have you been able to play any of your MKV files on your Hopper? I am told that the Hopper plays mp4 files well. Wish I could find a Bluray ripper that would do mp4. :D
Try ts muxer gui and see if it will convert after you have ripped. :)

Scott:

I haven't tried yet to playback MKV on the Hoppers (or Joeys). I can try tonight. I have Dune players everywhere and with the lack of DTS logos I'm not sure how it will handle them.

I'll report back this weekend.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

MKV is working quite well for me on Mac. I've ripped physical media, and converted existing folder structures and iso files to mkv. So all my Blu-rays are now mkv. I'll convert of the HD-DVD library next so that it's all MKV and much more "universal" for lack of a better expression.

I use an external Asus Drive and looking at the Belkin Thunderbolt expansion unit when it ships.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

It looks like for me, and A-300 and MakeMKV is the way to go. I figure Ill buy a 2TB WD EHD and connect it via USB. When I get ready to rip a movie, I have a long USB cable I can connect to the EHD, and use my laptop and external blu drive to send the MKV to the EHD, then reconnect to the A300 and fire it up for movie time.

Or better yet, since the A-300 supports Blu ISO, and I have AnyDVD HD I will probably just use that and rip ISO's with the protection removed to the EHD. Makes no sense for me to buy another software suite.

Im reading that the PCH can have an issue with ISO/MKV for movies with seamless branching. When you say "files", what process are you using. All ive really done in the past is Anydvd hd Rip to Image.

Ok, cool. So I'd just rip the movie to a Blu-ray Folder on my EHD, and the PCH would play it from there.

Im gonna go ahead and order an A-300 today.

the beauty of the mkv format with the make mkv tool is that you can strip out just about everything and save significantly on your storage requirements.

not having to deal with all the java startup crap, 1 click launch directly into the movie and not needlessly store extras? priceless!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed.

I am looking at DVDFab now to download, but there are two version, the "Ripper" and the "Copy".

Ive done a lot of reading on the A300 and C300, and it appears there are a couple of bugs with MKV's made by MKV, and some ISO/File playback. Many at AVS suggest to put everything into M2TS for reliability. Any input?

A lot of folks have recommended Clown BD for M2TS, but Im gonna go with DVDfab, just wondering whats the best format for the PCH.

the beauty of the mkv format with the make mkv tool is that you can strip out just about everything and save significantly on your storage requirements.

not having to deal with all the java startup crap, 1 click launch directly into the movie and not needlessly store extras? priceless!

Thanks.

It appears MKV files are a tad smaller (1:1 file) but are more CPU intensive, M2TS are larger but are less CPU intensive. The PCH will play Iso, Folder, M2TS and MKV, it's just a matter of reliability. Seamless branching discs like Fast Five seem to be an issue when using Iso and MKV, but maybe not M2TS.

Mine does, just like it was an ISO.

After looking some more, it appears the DVDFab Ripper is a lot like ClownBD and Clone DVD was back in the day, where you go in select the video stream, audio stream you want, and leave the rest out. This should remove any seamless branching concerns on the PCH, since you would just rip one video and one audio converted into M2TS.

You can just save the movie...

I just realized this looking at the DVDFab Copy tutorials. Has a "Main Movie" option that allows you selection of Audio and Subtitles as well. I'm going to buy this version and just do that into a folder and hopefully the A-300 can handle without problems. Main Movie only should save a little space and time as well.

Agreed.

I am looking at DVDFab now to download, but there are two version, the "Ripper" and the "Copy".

Ive done a lot of reading on the A300 and C300, and it appears there are a couple of bugs with MKV's made by MKV, and some ISO/File playback. Many at AVS suggest to put everything into M2TS for reliability. Any input?

A lot of folks have recommended Clown BD for M2TS, but Im gonna go with DVDfab, just wondering whats the best format for the PCH.

I used clown BD to convert all my reds to blue for the PH.

Ive suffering from info overload right now, but it seems just about any version of format you want to use work fine. The big issue comes in with seamless branched discs, and unless it's a full ISO there is a chance of problems, at least on the 300 models.

Im probably just gonna stick with Iso's for now, until they work the issue out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)