Backup External HDD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jman123

Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Colorado
I'm a newbie to these forums and I've searched through the archives and still haven't found anything regarding backing up an extenal HDD connected to the directv hd-dvr. :confused:

Specifically, my externall HDD (cavalry) always gets reformatted on any software update sent out by directv. Since I can't find a solution to this, I figured one work around is to regularly backup the external HDD through my network.
Any ideas?

I'm a newbie to these forums and I've searched through the archives and still haven't found anything regarding backing up an extenal HDD connected to the directv hd-dvr. :confused:

Specifically, my externall HDD (cavalry) always gets reformatted on any software update sent out by directv. Since I can't find a solution to this, I figured one work around is to regularly backup the external HDD through my network.
Any ideas?

First, I have a Cavalry external hd, 1tb, connected to my HR20-700. It never reformats when there is a software upgrade. I have no advice on how to prevent it, though. Sorry. As far as using an external as a backup, it won't work. The hard drive has to be connected to the dvr to work, and it only works with the dvr it was originally used with.

Yeah, your drive shouldnt be reformatting every time it gets new software. But I've had problems with cavalry drives and dont recommend them.

Good news is that you can backup the data. Just attach the drive and a second drive of equal or greater size to a home computer and use the instructions intended for copying your directv stuff to a larger drive.

It may take 3-8 hours, depending on the size of your drive, and you cant do it online or over the network...not to mention doing it over a network would take a brazillion years.

As far as using an external as a backup, it won't work. The hard drive has to be connected to the dvr to work, and it only works with the dvr it was originally used with.

That sucks. I just got an HR21 and was hoping to backup shows from my HR20 onto an external drive and plug it in back of HR21 for viewing.

I'm curious about the technical details for this not working, can someone explain?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)