Bacon presses

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I rarely eat bacon or sausage anymore, but have been interested in maybe using one of those rectangular bacon presses. They all seem to be cast iron or steel, and seem to be getting harder to find in B&Ms.

Safe to use, if careful, on teflon type electric skillets?

Do you then let it cook both sides at once, depending upon the press to cook the top?

Does it cook the bacon faster?

Ever use it on sausage patties or links? How well does that work?

Doesn't seem to cover much bacon- when cooking for 4, do you commonly use 2 or more presses?

Other uses?

Any other advice/comments?

I don't have a bacon press. Personally, I don't like to smush my meats against heat. I feel they drain the juices out that makes the meat so tender.

Have you ever tried cooking your bacon in the oven? This is my favorite way to cook bacon. IMO, the bacon shrivels up the least my cooking this way.

I'm actually making a triple decker BLT right now. Fresh, juicy tomatoes, crisp iceberg, a slathering of Hellman's mayo on each layer! My God, I'm getting hungry! As a matter of fact I just pulled the bacon out of the oven too. Perfect crispness and the bacon stayed flat all the way through.

Off to eat! Gotta love swine! :hungry:

I don't have a bacon press. Personally, I don't like to smush my meats against heat. I feel they drain the juices out that makes the meat so tender.

Have you ever tried cooking your bacon in the oven? This is my favorite way to cook bacon. IMO, the bacon shrivels up the least my cooking this way.

Both points are dead on! I concur captain! You should never press or poke meats while cooking. You should never cook "right out of the fridge" either.

I sprinkle my slow over roasted bacon with garlic powder and black pepper. Damn, a BLT does sound good too!

I'm actually making a triple decker BLT right now. Fresh, juicy tomatoes, crisp iceberg, a slathering of Hellman's mayo on each layer! My God, I'm getting hungry! As a matter of fact I just pulled the bacon out of the oven too. Perfect crispness and the bacon stayed flat all the way through.

Off to eat! Gotta love swine! :hungry:

I'll be right over! :D

OK- how long & at what temp?

I sprinkle my slow over roasted bacon with garlic powder and black pepper. Damn, a BLT does sound good too!

I'll have to try that, too!

The two of you have saved me some bucks. I'll go the oven route first. Odd thing is, I did it that way in the Navy, and just forgot. Micro zapping really doesn't work that well.

I do mine on a mesh grate that sits over a sheetpan @ about 325 until it gets the color I like; I start the bacon in a cold/non-pre-heated oven; everyone's oven will be a differing rate and I would hate to give a set time and you not like it. Practice a few times and you will find your setting. I think the longer roast at the lower temp makes for a better taste and less residual grease. I have read that 400 for about 12 - 15mins yields a nice traditional crispy bacon.

Thank you. I'll try it this weekend. I need to replenish my bacon grease keeper. I use it for frying up certain things, like the veggies for my beans, and for making rye bread.

I usually do mine in the oven @ 350° till it smells done. As "Cee-Dub" says on RFTV's Dutch Oven Cooking Show; "When it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt it's burnt". :D

Anyways, I haven't timed it, but I think it's apx. 20 minutes @ 350°F.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)