Bad, Bad News for Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lue

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
great plains
  • Dish Network's (NASDAQ:DISH) Charlie Ergen may not be holding on to all those airwaves after all, saying on today's earnings call that the company may have tosell or lease spectrum after an expected order that would waive $3.3B in discounts from the AWS-3 auction.
  • The FCC's stance also rippled through to M&A, he suggested, representing thebiggest impediment to a discussed merger with T-Mobile that stagnated: "From our perspective, the discount was the most complicating factor."
  • Ergen was complimentary about the FCC, but said it was picking winners and losers and that if the company's credits are ultimately denied, it sends a "pretty strong signal you are probably not going to get into the marketplace as a new entrant."
http://seekingalpha.com/news/2697325-dishs-ergen-may-not-keep-spectrum-haul-if-discounts

http://www.multichannel.com/news/wireless/dish-mulls-throwing-spectrum-towel/392764

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...complicating-factor-t-mobile-talks/2015-08-05

Google's Project Fi: Who Gets Hurt?
Aug. 4, 2015 12:02 PM ET | 8 comments | About: DISH Network Corporation (DISH), GOOG, GOOGL, Includes: AAPL, S, T, TMUS, VZ

Summary
  • Google's Project Fi and recent FCC actions may signal the beginning of a larger shift in wireless.
  • The impact on mobile incumbents and Fi's partners is analyzed, along with the latest news on Apple's prospects in this space.
  • However, the biggest impact may be felt on a company Dish that I had long hoped would be disruptor in its own right.

My first article on the Project Fi MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) detailed the opportunity for Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) (NASDAQ:GOOGL). This article will look at what the shift which that initiative signals for the wireless industry, and the impact on several select stocks, and Dish Network (NASDAQ:DISH) in particular.

New Competition
Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) is already rumored to be investigating the options for offering its own MVNO (though, on Tuesday, the company denied the report), and the latest iPhones already offer WiFi calling. By some accounts, the planning is in the very early stages, whereas Fi is already actively serving customers. However others have claimed that Apple and is already testing the service and noted that the SIM cards in the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 already include the ability to switch carriers. It's not clear whether or not this can be done in mid-call, on the fly, though. As discussed in part 1, the important thing about Fi is that it offers a "network of networks" and switches between them seamlessly. Another new Apple development being discussed is iCloud Voicemail; it would include features such as voice mail transcription, which has been offered by Google Voice for years. Regardless of what actually materializes, perhaps the most important thing abut Fi is the competition it isalready spurring.

The Incumbents
As a result, other wireless providers, with their cash cow business models, are the obvious choices for road kill here. However, I think there's a lot to differentiate on in terms of investment decisions. The big two, Verizion (NYSE:VZ) and AT&T (NYSE:T) obviously have the most to lose, since they each have roughly double the number of wireless subscribers as Sprint (NYSE:S) or T-Mobile (NYSE:TMUS), Google's current partners. However, given the long-term nature of this industry shift, the high yields and more diversified business models of the big two, VZ and T are poor outright short candidates. Here are some company-specific notes:

• Verizon: having the broadest network coverage area may help insulate Verizon, particularly in less populated areas. However, in busier areas, customers report that network congestion often results in missed calls even when signal is present. This is where Google's WiFi calling and "network of networks" may really shine in comparison. Historically, Verizon has mademore per customer than any other carrier, but the it is already seeingpricing pressure from conventional competition. Furthermore, the company now has a serious debt load (12.5 debt to equity ratio) since buying the remaining 45% of its wireless business from Vodafone (NASDAQ:VOD). I had said that if that transaction occurred, I wouldn't want to own either company, and that's all the more true now.
  • AT&T: since the iPhone was offered first on AT&T, and many of those customers are grandfathered into data plans, AT&T probably has anuncommonly large percentage of iPhone users. This may partially shield the company from direct Fi competition for a while, since it seems likely that Apple devices would be just about the last to ever to be offered with the program. Perhaps Ma Bell will even pull a repeat performance, by serving as the network behind Apple again, but if Apple were to lock itself into a single network vendor at this point, it would likely be at very favorable terms for Apple. Furthermore, the practices and subsidies that have lead to AT&T's captive market have hurt as much as they have helped AT&T much, and are ending anyway. Even if they were not, I view Apple as a (slowly) decaying shield, and I think we've seen the first evidence of that in its recent report. Some will argue that AT&T remains a hold, rather than a sell/avoid because of the 5%+ dividend, but there are better yield options to be found with increasing rather than declining secular growth trends.
The Partners, Terms & Transition
Somewhat perversely, it may actually be Google's partners, T-Mobile and Sprint, that eventually feel the biggest impact from Fi. Both rely on appeal to more budget-conscious consumers and yet have little that improves their services over what's being offered by Fi, at a generally better price and certainly more flexible terms.

• Sprint: Sprint has been bleeding cash and just reported revenue miss to go along with the resignation of its CFO. Even so, I'd disqualify S as short candidate due to the backing of Softbank, and the mathematics associated with shorting very low-priced stocks. The company's latest plan is called "All-In" pricing, and it offers unlimited voice, text messaging and data for ~$80 per month, with a 2 year contract and $36 activation fee. This might seem competitive to consumers used to relying exclusively on LTE, but I see it is a last ditch effort to lock in customers in advance of a new wave of competition.
  • T-Mobile: Similarly T-Mobile has been showing subscriber growth, and in the most recent conference call, described the partnership with Google as "very profitable." Nonetheless, I think it will be even more vulnerable than Sprint because many of its customers value the international compatibility that Fi also provides. T-Mobile has been looking to join or partner with other providers and participation in Project Fi may be only the first step in a much longer evolution. If it were not for those prospects, TMUS would lack only a quantified time table for industry progress to be a viable short.
Unfortunately, the financial terms of the partnerships with Google are not available, so it is difficult to tell how much they will help compensate Sprint and T-Mobile in the short term. Also, unlike T-Mobile, Sprint's agreement with Google reportedly includes the ability to limit traffic volume, and renegotiate if Fi grows too popular, but that will be cold comfort once Fi has critical momentum. That's because the real is industry shift that Fi is exemplifying is towards more efficient communications; it simply makes sense to have communication travel over airwaves for the smallest possible distances and over wires for the greatest portion of its path.

More importantly, unlicensed spectrum, such as WiFi, has proven itself to be inherently more competitive and innovative than the licensed spectrum that carriers use, and the FCC seems to finally be waking up to this reality. The next spectrum auction has already been delayed, largely to consider opening up more spectrum for such unlicensed uses. Google has already hasimmediate plans for this spectrum, and even the grander, long-term designs are already starting to show progress. An open internet is allowing consumers to reduce cable companies to "dumb pipes". I think increasing use of unlicensed spectrum may do the same thing to wireless providers. To the extent that this trend towards making WiFi and other unlicensed spectrum use ubiquitous continues, the best short candidates may be those who have amassed large and unused spectrum licenses.

The Most Threatened

Dish Network is just such a company. Up to $25b of the company's ~$30b market cap is in its spectrum leases. That's over 80% of the company's value! Furthermore, time is against Dish with regards to justifying that valuation, in that it must put 40% of its spectrum into use by 2017 and 70% by 2020. Most analysts, including me, thought Dish would partner in that endeavor, but that will become progressively harder as the market shifts towards being more efficient by using unlicensed spectrum. The FCCdisallowing spectrum discounts worth more than 10% of Dish's market cap may be just the first tremor in a larger shift from how wireless communications were historically (mis)managed at the national level. If such policies were to change to truly benefit consumers, that would put Dish's spectrum strategy at serious valuation risk. Dish is a very innovative company, and thus a very dangerous short, but in my view there is little doubt that it has even more to lose than the current wireless incumbents.

Dish Network reports earnings on the Aug. 5th and has a forward PE of nearly 40. The company is profitable and appears well-capitalized, with Quick and Current ratios both over 2; so does not look like a typical short opportunity orbalance sheet analysis. However, those ratios are skewed by the spectrum valuation, which appears to be counted in the Other Current Assets category, and outweigh the rest of Dish's assets by a factor of ~5! The Debt to Assets ratio of 0.63 versus Debt to Equity of 6.3 further highlights the spectrum valuation issue that I'm harping on. It's hard to say when or how the market might revalue these Dish's spectrum, but it's not looking like the industry is poised to move in a direction that would be positive for shareholders.

Summary
I've long said that the wireless industry in the United States is ripe for disruption. Incumbent mobile providers are saddled with debt and face difficult choices going forward. Even Google's partners, which are being forced to evolve, may not necessarily be able to do so in ways that benefit their shareholders at current prices. That situation will make it even harder for those with unused licensed spectrum to monetize their assets effectively. In particular, the changes that are sorely needed in U.S. mobile markets don't seem to be benefiting Dish. Its time and options are running out.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/82342.html?google_editors_picks=true

Last edited:
You need to start your own blog man. It's fine to post, but everyone isn't as passionate about whatever your deal is, I can't quite peg it myself, if it wireless, iptv, broadband or want. Anyway, there's no need to write a dissertation on it in just about every post.

Reactions: KAB and Jim S.
Dish's spectrum holdings to get devalued when LTE U kicks in, investors already shaky over Dish's valuation .
LTE-U to move cellular carriers onto open airwaves

The technology, LTE-U, travels on public airwaves, using the same frequencies as Wi-Fi, according to The Washington Post. If LTE-U is deployed by cellular carriers, it would put them in direct competition with cable companies that use Wi-Fi.

Industry engineers say LTE-U will deliver faster speeds and downloads, and that it will be most effective in crowded areas, like cities and universities, where networks get congested, The Post said.

LTE-U is said to be the industry's solution for providers to pick up customers who now drop their cellular connections when they are in range

http://searchtelecom.techtarget.com...may-jump-in-on-municipal-fiber-network-builds

We get it. Dish is going down, head-on, into the fiery pits of hell and everyone aboard is going to die in a horrible way. Dish's only chance to survive is a last moment attempt to buy AT&T, T-Mobile, Frontier, and the FCC and propose a huge rural program to install 25 Mbps broadband across every inch of the nation... and parts of Canada.

*insert link*

We get it. Dish is going down, head-on, into the fiery pits of hell and everyone aboard is going to die in a horrible way. Dish's only chance to survive is a last moment attempt to buy AT&T, T-Mobile, Frontier, and the FCC and propose a huge rural program to install 25 Mbps broadband across every inch of the nation... and parts of Canada.

*insert link*
Not at all, I am Looking for Dish's SlingTV to do just fine, The legacy Dish installing business is the one on the ropes.

As asked above what happens if Charlie decides to split the company?

Conference Call Transcript 2Q

http://seekingalpha.com/article/340...n-on-q2-2015-results-earnings-call-transcript
10 Billion dollars, rural towns, counties etc, will be jumping on this, this so happens to be prime satellite dish areas, going to feel the pain for sure.
In the Connect America Fund order that was issued last December, the FCC guaranteed broadband providers more than $10 billion over six years to deploy broadband in underserved areas, Sohn said.

"If the price cap providers" -- carriers not subject to the FCC's rate base/rate of return regulation -- "don't take advantage of these funds, other providers will be able to take their place, including municipal systems and electric cooperatives that want to deploy fiber networks," she said, according to Multichannel News.

http://searchtelecom.techtarget.com...may-jump-in-on-municipal-fiber-network-builds

Last edited:
Chad41.....Thanks for saving me the time looking these up ;)

OhNoes.gif

It was a little disappointing. Somebody posts a thousand links, I think we just stopped reading them, come to find out they are not relevant to his point. I'm sure he will keep going and "death to traditional TV", but what can we do.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Did anyone else notice that both those links provided were from 2007 and 2008?
One of the hazards of re-blogging is that you often get information that is dated; especially if you don't read the entirety of what you're re-blogging.

I'm all for supporting one's claims but the news needs to come from the source and it really needs to be date stamped using some method other than URI parsing.

Re-blogging is likely to damage your reputation -- consider what it has done for Swanni.

Reactions: ChadT41
So how does Dish sustainably grow its Pay-TV business from the ~13.9 million subscriber base? I don't think it can. To grow sales with a declining subscriber base, the only option is to increase the price (ARPU was ~$88 in Q2 2015, up from ~$84 in Q2 2014). But increasing the price for Pay-TV will only make Netflix and OTT players more attractive and will likely accelerate cord-cutting. In my view, this looks like more evidence of a pernicious cycle for Pay-TV operators as consumer behavior shifts to lower price OTT options, creating a virtuous cycle for Netflix.

Running the Price Lock 49.99 package real hard on ESPN 190 channels with hopper

http://www.dish.com/35th-anniversary-special-offer/

39 bucks for one year 290 channels
http://www.dish.com/introductory-savings-offer/

Numbers don't lie and they seem to be pointing at desperation.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3410416-dishs-charlie-ergen-gives-a-nod-to-netflix

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)