Bad Customer service.

dan323

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
Illinois
On Friday night my vip222 died. I down graded from the vip722 in February and was told I could return back to the DVR without any issues if decided I liked the DVR better. Well when my 222 died that Saturday morning I called Dish and worked with tech support with dismal results. The box was dead. I was told I would have to wait 3 to 5 days for a replacement. Not happy about that at all. I was transferred and was told I could have a Tech at my house on Monday and that I could upgrade back to a 722 box. BUT I would have to agree to a 2 year commitment. I have been with Dish for like 7 years now. In the past ( this is the 7th box in 7 years I have had replaced ) a Tech would be dispatched that day to resolve the issue. I was told I must wait until Monday. I asked if I could go to one of the retailers ( there are 2 that stock equipment within 45 minutes of my home ) to pick up the Box myself, again I was told I had to wait. If they offered me a bone,anything, this would have turned out better,but I was extremely frustrated with the seemingly lack of interest in the CSR that I just cancelled my account with Dish. One would think that 7 years of service with never missing a payment or never being late, a customer might be treated a little better. I feel more of an effort on Dish's side and maybe me taking a few deep breaths may have helped. But come on,what ever happened to Customer Service. If only Dish didn't push the 2 year agreement, insist on that agreement I would still be a customer. Well, I will have Directv installed tomorrow,and yes I am in a 2 year agreement. But sometimes It's just the Principle and ethics of the company that will drive a good paying customer to another provider. When Customer Service Reps get pushy,good customers leave.

FYI those calls are randomly routed to different call centers. If a CSR is being rude or pushy simply hang up and call back and you'll get someone different.

A retailer will not simply swap out a box for you unless you are their customer, and Dish doesn't have a way for a retailer to swap out your box so that was never a possibility.

Even if Dish offered to overnight a box, you would not have it till Tuesday since UPS and Fedex don't ship on the weekend.

I don't agree on the 2 year agreement on the 722 upgrade either, but I could see how this was standard with their upgrade policies as they can't just be swapping equipment for free everytime you decide to add DVR or remove DVR from your account.

I kind of agree with Dish on this issue, as there really was not much more I think they could do, and this is how their system works.

However you'll end up liking Directv far even better!

I guess I did contribute to the problem. Oh well I called Dish back today to try to fix the mess. I was told I have to wait 90 days to become a new customer again 'and that they would not reinstate my account that I cancelled. So Directv is coming in the morning Tuesday to install their service. I guess I shouldn't have gotten PO'd, and if she didn't insist on the 2 year agreement all would still be the same. I guess it was just time for a change. My Son and coworker both have DTV and have been telling me for a while I should switch. Well I switched . haha.

I think customers will be disinclined to buy brand X from someone who bad mouths brand X. No need to hurt your own sales.

"In the past ( this is the 7th box in 7 years I have had replaced..."

Wow! 7 boxes in 7 years?! That is some seriously bad electronics karma you have. In my 11 or 12 year history with Dish and Directv, I've never had a receiver die on me. I ponder if the high replacement rate you had was a reason for the 2 yr extension.

Regardless, hope you enjoy Directv. Make certain to watch Super Rugby, as Directv is hogging the rights to that. ;)

Don't be too hard on Claude he is just another DISH dealer that has taken all they can of DISH's crap in the way they treated their dealers.

Wow! 7 boxes in 7 years?! That is some seriously bad electronics karma you have. In my 11 or 12 year history with Dish and Directv, I've never had a receiver die on me. I ponder if the high replacement rate you had was a reason for the 2 yr extension.
I can just imagine the prices he would have been quoted for a Hopper upgrade with that receiver return rate...

I guess I did contribute to the problem. Oh well I called Dish back today to try to fix the mess. I was told I have to wait 90 days to become a new customer again 'and that they would not reinstate my account that I cancelled. So Directv is coming in the morning Tuesday to install their service. I guess I shouldn't have gotten PO'd, and if she didn't insist on the 2 year agreement all would still be the same. I guess it was just time for a change. My Son and coworker both have DTV and have been telling me for a while I should switch. Well I switched . haha.

I sympathize with you, but too bad you didn't stop and think a second - Friday night, as pointed out Tuesday would be the quickest to get a box to you. You are getting service back with Direct the same day the receiver would have arrived, but now with a two year contract, minus any recordings you had, and whatever time you may need to be home for Direct to install. Had you allowed a Tech to come, you would have service one day sooner, with the receiver you wanted, with the same two year contract.
Perhaps you will like Direct TV better, and new accounts should be less for the first year more, so in the end maybe no problem.

Had you contacted a DIRT member here, maybe you could have had the Tech come Saturday....

Last edited:
Direct CS is not any better, no personal experience but from purely anecdotal evidence; a consequence of the grab the easy fast buck now versus fostering long-term customer loyalty (and $'s) mentality that pervades corporate America these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts