Dish iPad/iPhone App Updated

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
I saw that the Dish application on my iPhone had an update the other day, so I updated it to see what's changed. One major improvement I found was support for AirPlay to my AppleTV. It's like having a Hopper/Joey without the $4/mo fee as I can now watch my 722's DVR programs on my upstairs HDTV! :D

Okay, there are some limitations: It appears to be 24 fps instead of full frame-rate, so live video playback looks "off". The AppleTV supports 720p HD, not 1080p, so it isn't "full" HD. It probably isn't true HD, either, as it looks more like 480p widescreen. But it's better than the NTSC available from the TV2 output.

Two more problems I ran into while playing around with this setup: Playing video content from the EHD evidently taxes the USB bus on the 722. The video playback is jerky as data is read from the EHD, processed, sent to the Sling Adapter, returned to the 722, and finally sent out the LAN to be sent wirelessly to my iPhone and AirPlayed on the AppleTV. Playback from the internal hard drive is smooth, as is filmed (24fps) recordings from the EHD.

Also, I ran into an HDCP issue trying to watch a Pay-per-View I had on my 722. I can watch the movie on the iPhone using the Dish App, but not AirPlay the movie. My AppleTV complains that it can't open the content. I can accept that. Likewise, if I use the iPad which has Blockbuster content (which the iPhone doesn't offer) it can't be sent to the AppleTV via AirPlay.

I've been running my iPhone for about four hours now and it has run my battery down from 86% to 52%. You can't shut off the display to save any battery as the playback stops as soon as the App is no longer active.

Probably the biggest distraction, though, is the sound. It has that "it's coming through a hose" tinny sibilance that makes me cringe if there's a lot of high sounds. Again, it seems to come and go as the Sling Adapter and the app "tunes" the connection.

All this makes me want the real Hopper/Joey experience. But until that day, my wife and I can watch our sitcoms recorded downstairs when our son is monopolizing the 55" HDTV playing XBox.

I downloaded the new iPhone app yesterday. The main change that I notice is that the bit rate for viewing video on the iPhone has increased a lot. With the old app, the bit rate topped out at about 2200 kbps, however with the new app, the bit rate is about 4200 kbps. As expected, the video now looks a lot sharper.

Unlike Foxbat, I do not have any trouble playing back content from the EHD that is connected to my 722K. I do not have any devices that support AirPlay, so I can't comment on that.

Overall, the updated app seems to be a good improvement over the previous version.

tobsandmags said:
I can't find how to view TV via this app. Does it only work with a 722? I have a 622.
Yes, you need a 722/722K and the Sling Adapter, or the 922.

I downloaded the new iPhone app yesterday. The main change that I notice is that the bit rate for viewing video on the iPhone has increased a lot. With the old app, the bit rate topped out at about 2200 kbps, however with the new app, the bit rate is about 4200 kbps. As expected, the video now looks a lot sharper.

Unlike Foxbat, I do not have any trouble playing back content from the EHD that is connected to my 722K. I do not have any devices that support AirPlay, so I can't comment on that.

Overall, the updated app seems to be a good improvement over the previous version.

The difference seems to be 722 versus 722K ... wonder if some tweaks were done in the K such that it can "shuffle" stuff around better?

Flash it to Android and it will. :D

I don't use google products. Android is horribly insecure not to mention, deeeeeeply spied upon by google.

I go to extreme measure to block google tracking, ads, urchin, etc... google is teh evil... :mad:

On my iPhone 4 ... my bit rate seems to peg out at just over 4K.

I use a USB3 hub to the back of the 722. I have my EHD, wireless N adapter, and Sling Adapter plugged into the hub.

When I use my laptop (Windows 7, IE) with wireless N ... the bit rate ranges from low-4K to mid-5K.

When I use my other laptop (Windows XP, Chrome) with wireless G ... the bit rate ranges from mid-3K to mid-4K.

With my laptops, the bit rate really fluctuates between the ranges observed. It does not "settle down" like it does with my iPhone 4.

Watching recordings off of the EHD worked fine for me. I did not notice a drop in bit rate on any device. I tried a variety of OTA and satellite recordings.

FWIW ...

I'm sorry if I'm changing the subject (pls start a new thread if I am), but I have a question about the updated iPhone app.

If I'm in the Guide and press the 'HD on' button (which is supposed to show HD-only content), it doesn't show all the HD channels I subscribe to. For instance, MLBN, HD channel 152, doesn't show up but Speed, 150, and NFLN, 154, do show up. There are a few more, but that's the one I happen to be looking at right now.

Anyone else have the same problem or know how to fix this?

Also, while I'm on the subject, is there a way to see my guide favorites on the app? I don't want to see all the channels I don't subscribe to nor do I want to see the dozens of SiriusXM channels nor do I want to see the 9xxx-level channels that I can already view on their mapped-down equivalent.

Sorry to vent, hopefully someone will be able to help.

Thx,
Frank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts