Bad experience with sales agents

I don't understand why dish doesn't just activate the receivers. I had to do the dance twice with dish over the years with receivers. One from eBay that the seller still had on his account and one from radio shack that was a demo .I had to call several times to get them activated. I guess they don't want customers that don't pay there bill to sign up a new account with the same receivers. But if you have a long time customer that wants to add to there account it seems it would be a win for both the customer and dish . Customer gets a new receiver and it doesn't cost dish a dime . Dish adds receiver fees 7 to 17 dollars depending on the model.

Perhaps it's a matter of principle. Maybe DISH doesn't want to see a thief benefit from his misdeeds, or to encourage others to do the same.

I don't understand why dish doesn't just activate the receivers.

I don't understand how you don't understand! :biggrin

Is their account in current status and they just decided to sell a receiver? Why would DISH remove it from their account if the account holder didn't take it off?

What if the receiver is stolen? DISH may or may not even tell you that information.

How do you even know that DISH owns the receiver purchased? (Account active and up to date or not) You want them to simply take it off that account and it doesn't belong to DISH?

I don't understand how you don't understand! :biggrin

Is their account in current status and they just decided to sell a receiver? Why would DISH remove it from their account if the account holder didn't take it off?

What if the receiver is stolen? DISH may or may not even tell you that information.

How do you even know that DISH owns the receiver purchased? (Account active and up to date or not) You want them to simply take it off that account and it doesn't belong to DISH?[/. I didn't realize that most receivers are stolen and are owned by criminals. When you call in to activate they probably can tell you that the receivers are leased are owned and if stolen the should find out were you got it . If a criminal want to add my receivers to there account and pay for them while I still own them . That's fine with me as long as the keep my channel package or upgrade me .

There are ways to remove it from the other account holders account.

Admin Note: Removed misleading info

There is also an amnesty option your dealer has where they can submit the receiver info to Dish to clear it from any account including ones with a delinquent balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always wondered the same thing. If someone who owned or leased the receiver in the past ran up a bill. What difference does it make if someone else now owns the receiver. Dish should go after the people that ran up the bill. I would think if someone picked up a used receiver and wanted to activate it. Dish should be willing to do that. After all they are getting a new sub or an existing sub with a second receiver with an extra fee. It would be better to do that, than tick off the customer and lose them. After all if someone purchased a used receiver, Dish does not have to put out any $$$. To me, it would be a win-win situation for both parties. Also it would be better to have the receiver in use, rather than it ending up in the landfill. After all, all the money Dish/Direct would lose by dumping good receivers, the customers would be stuck to cover them with their monthly bill.

I have always wondered the same thing. If someone who owned or leased the receiver in the past ran up a bill. What difference does it make if someone else now owns the receiver.
I ran into this problem years ago when I tried to activate a used 311. I was told that the previous owner had ran up a balance of over $600. :eeek

I got Dish to send me a box with a pre-paid return shipping label so I could send the 311 back to Dish. This was a win-win-win:
  • Dish got a used receiver back that they could refurbish and send to someone else.
  • The previous owner presumably got some credit toward his past-due balance because the receiver was returned to Dish.
  • I got a $10 credit toward my bill as a bounty for finding the delinquent used receiver, and also to make up for the inconvenience of not being allowed to activate it.

Reactions: bspei
I ran into this problem years ago when I tried to activate a used 311. I was told that the previous owner had ran up a balance of over $600. :eeek

I got Dish to send me a box with a pre-paid return shipping label so I could send the 311 back to Dish. This was a win-win-win:
  • Dish got a used receiver back that they could refurbish and send to someone else.
  • The previous owner presumably got some credit toward his past-due balance because the receiver was returned to Dish.
  • I got a $10 credit toward my bill as a bounty for finding the delinquent used receiver, and also to make up for the inconvenience of not being allowed to activate it.

Do you think the previous owner cared?

He owed $600, now he owes $500.

He is still never going to pay Dish.

I'm glad you decided to do the right thing and got a credit.

I personally would have either thrown the receiver away or shelved it for parts before sending it back for a $10 credit.

Reactions: Troch77

I personally would have either thrown the receiver away or shelved it for parts before sending it back for a $10 credit.
If I would have bought a receiver that couldn't be activated, I would have smashed it to pieces before I would have sent it back to Dish.

But since I know the Directv and Dish policy on used receivers, I would have checked prior to purchase.

It is not about whether the previous owner cared. It is about whether everyone involved came out ahead, in theory. My dad bought the used 311 at Goodwill or some place like that, and he usually only paid $5 or less per receiver. Since I didn't have to pay for the shipping, I came out ahead, and so did Dish if they resold the receiver or leased it to someone else. I was posting my experience as a suggestion for what Dish's regular policy should be in these situations. Hey, Spokeslistener, are you hearing this? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)