Bad HD News!!

I've only seen things here and there but isnt Voom supposed to be launching a movie channel next month? Perhaps its the old beaten horse idea of combining two or three together and giving it a new name. That will free up some more space.

I am a former Dish customer. Cancelled Saturday after having DirecTV installed. Just got off the phone with a Dish CSR. He called me asking why I cancelled. I told him about the HD Direct has that Dish doesn't, DirecTV is showing new episodes of Friday Night Lights this fall and DirecTV added the Peachtree TV Atlanta Braves games on channel 617 last week. He stated that Dish plans to add 22 HD channels within the next couple of months and that Dish has 5 HD channels that DirecTV doesn't have. I asked him, What about the 20+ HD channels DirecTV has that Dish doesn't? I told him that I had emailed Dish about 4 times and called twice and never got a straight answer. I love DirecTV and will probably never return to Dish Network. So long Charlie.

I am a former Dish customer. Cancelled Saturday after having DirecTV installed. Just got off the phone with a Dish CSR. He called me asking why I cancelled. I told him about the HD Direct has that Dish doesn't, DirecTV is showing new episodes of Friday Night Lights this fall and DirecTV added the Peachtree TV Atlanta Braves games on channel 617 last week. He stated that Dish plans to add 22 HD channels within the next couple of months and that Dish has 5 HD channels that DirecTV doesn't have. I asked him, What about the 20+ HD channels DirecTV has that Dish doesn't? I told him that I had emailed Dish about 4 times and called twice and never got a straight answer. I love DirecTV and will probably never return to Dish Network. So long Charlie.

I will be interested in Dish's 1st Qtr disclosure on "New Subs", and "Churn". With as many people on this board who have bailed, and those I actually know who have defected it could be interesting. Last Qtr new sub additions was very low at 85000, and churn was very high for Dish, just under 2% or so.....

I will give Chucky a few months more, still do not want to part with my OTA DVR.....

i love that direct helped saved FNL but I will download it off of the net hrs after it's shown on direct :)

it would take a lot more than a few channels to get me to move off of DISH. Now that I have locals I only really crave the CW in HD and I do watch a lot of SPEED so that's a sore spot.

Thats nice
Adios

i love that direct helped saved FNL but I will download it off of the net hrs after it's shown on direct :)

And FNL isn't going to be exclusive to DirecTV. The episodes that air on DirecTV will be part of the NBC season in early 2009. I don't need to be the "first" to see them...being cool is overrated.

As I've said many times, so long as Charlie gives me FSC and GolTV for $20 less than D*, I'm perfectly fine where I am.

One year ago, E* had the 622 and the HD Content edge, while D* had a marginal HD DVR and the promises of more HD content. A year later, E* still has the 622, but with few real useful and exciting enhancements, while D* has stabilized their HD DVR and leap-frogged into the HD content lead by a wide margin. OK, I realize I am stating the obvious, but when you compare the companies and look at which one has actually demonstrated a real effort to move forward and set the bar even higher, it seems that only D* has done so.

I love the functionality of my 622, and will hang in longer than the average person, but I keep getting great offers from D* to come back just about every week. E* really needs to get it going, and do so quick, if they are to avert a mass exodus.

It would be fair to say that i am pretty much stuck with E*. I signed up with them 2, or 3 days before D took the lead away from them. SciFiHD is a big deal for me. once it, and the HD locals for Jackson, MS are added I will most likely go HD only, I will give E* until june. If they get the content up to snuff I'll stay. if not I will have to reconsider.

IMHO the point of the long term contracts is so DISH can survive the "cycle" in the leap-frog game. Unfortunately for DISH their plans to "leap" back ahead of D* have to have been greatly hampered (or at least delayed) with the delayed launch schedules and most recently the AMC-14 near failure.

The problem for DISH is that the longer they remain behind, the more subs will get through their contracts and do an evaluation of their options. Even if only 10% migrate to D* that will seriously negatively impact E*, just as they are going to be facing stiffer competition from the telco and cable options.

Personally, I've been with DISH for 5 years now, but when my contract comes up in December of this year if they aren't competitive at that moment in time (I surely don't believe the "SOON" stuff anymore) then they will lose another to either D*, Uverse, or TimeWarner.

Yeah we will see I think by end of the year things will be totally different but either way Dish will be fine..

Not to mention something is brewing in the ways of that SlingBox aquisition from last year. Ride the storm out boys, its always better...

Forget usa, chiler sci fi

I would rather have cnnhd, fox business hd, and cnbc hd, cause i watch all the time, all the rest usa, chiller, and sci fil, blue ray will suffice

why is there no ground swell for the news channels in hd.

I would rather have cnnhd, fox business hd, and cnbc hd, cause i watch all the time, all the rest usa, chiller, and sci fil, blue ray will suffice

why is there no ground swell for the news channels in hd.

Why do you have a need to see the pimples on a news guys talking head in HD? I don't see ANY pressing need for news channels to be in HD, just like you don't care if the other channels you mentioned are turned on. Everybody has different priorities, you like your stuff, I like my stuff. It's all good, so let's just keep waiting until Dish actually turns one or the other on in HD. It'll happen eventually. (or not!)

Because, even though the talking head at the studio will be in HD, the reporter in the field or shots from overseas will be in SD.

Not always, the Phoenix local channel 12 has HD cameras in the field and on some of the helicopters ... If they can do it CNN, FOX and who ever else can too.

Even if only 10% migrate to D* that will seriously negatively impact E*, just as they are going to be facing stiffer competition from the telco and cable options.

I highly doubt it would even be 10% that would switch because of HD offerings. I would bet that 80% of Dish HD customers don't have a clue what is going on with the HD channels. Hell, I work with a guy that just spent big bucks on an HD set and refuses to switch to Satellite or get the HD pack through Comcrap. He is still amazed how good standard DVDs look on his set.

I highly doubt it would even be 10% that would switch because of HD offerings. I would bet that 80% of Dish HD customers don't have a clue what is going on with the HD channels. Hell, I work with a guy that just spent big bucks on an HD set and refuses to switch to Satellite or get the HD pack through Comcrap. He is still amazed how good standard DVDs look on his set.

Yep, that's true. One of my colleague had a HDTV for almost an year and I had to literally force him to get a Rabbit year antenna to prove what he is missing.

Why do you have a need to see the pimples on a news guys talking head in HD? I don't see ANY pressing need for news channels to be in HD, just like you don't care if the other channels you mentioned are turned on. Everybody has different priorities, you like your stuff, I like my stuff. It's all good, so let's just keep waiting until Dish actually turns one or the other on in HD. It'll happen eventually. (or not!)

Yeah, but it'll be that much easier to read the news ticker scrolling at the bottom. :)