Bad installation?

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
so, I currently only have an 811 with dish with HD pack + (old) voom. I moved, and to my surprise, dish offerd free install of a dish 1000 at my new address with now committment. I took the offer and installer came yesterday morning. But he had a hard time getting all 3 satellites to come in. At first, only 110 and 119. Then he went back up, moved the dish a bit and finally got 129 to lock. He kept saying that maybe it was the 811 not recognizing all 3 sats and that the new dish was better design for the new MPEG4 recievers, etc. He gets the ladder and is read to leave but I make sure I'm really getting 129. Nope! Signal was like 30 or so! I tell him to go back up and he plays around with the dish so it increases the signal. Now I'm getting around 60 for most 129 transponders, around 80 for 119 and 55-60 for 110. Are these values normal? Yesterday, TNT HD was black for a while so I wondered if it was due to low signal on 110. Also I found it interesting that the installer didn't really have someting to measure sat signal while up there on the roof. We're doing it the old fashioned way: he'd move the dish, yell and I'd yell back telling him how strong the signal was or not! :eek: He seemed to be a dish net installer as opposed to a private installer like I had in the past whom was much better equiped!

Hey Francisco,

I am in Sacramento, so not too far from you. The readings do seem low for this region. SInce changing from the 500 to the 1000, my signal strength has dropped. CUrrently using Transponder 11 and 12 my signal strengths are as follows

110 = 83-86
119 = 87-89
129 = 79 or so.

I used to have an 811 hooked up to my 1000 so I don't think the the 811vs. 211 is really an issue but who knows.

Scott

hey Scott,

Thanks! Yep, that did seem low to me. I'm not sure the installer knew it very well what he was doing. I may give Dish a call later on to verify if those readings are normal or not.

"Now I'm getting around 60 for most 129 transponders, around 80 for 119 and 55-60 for 110. "

That's too low, call them and tell to come back and peak your D1000. Since it's been raining in the area, tell them that you keep losing signal when watching TV.

129 is a low powered satellite and you'll get high 60s and 70s at the most but 110 is way too low.

The 129 will not get near as high of signal points as the 119 or 110. If you can get the 129 into the high 70's you are doing pretty good. Some guys will point of the 129 here and sacrifice some signal on the 110 and 119 to get the 129 higher. If your picture is cutting out then you need to get them on the phone and have someone that knows what they are doing come peak the dish 1000.

I'm surprised this amateur installer didn't have a pair of paper cups and a string to ask you what the signal was. Eighty dollars or so for a basic meter. Jeesh!These guys should be shot on sight. No wonder the sub pay gets lower and lower.... Qualification for installer: Are you breathing? Good. You start right now... Sorry for the rant. I am cleaning up after ANOTHER moron that "are an installer".

why does the 129 satellite have a weak signal? not very good for hd locals, right? is there a way to strengthen the satellite's output and are there any plans from echostar to do so? thanks.

Yep, my feelings precisely!! And the funny thing is this guy was an "official" Dish Net installer, with the fancy van and eveything!!! :eek:

rc811002 said:
I'm surprised this amateur installer didn't have a pair of paper cups and a string to ask you what the signal was. Eighty dollars or so for a basic meter. Jeesh!These guys should be shot on sight. No wonder the sub pay gets lower and lower.... Qualification for installer: Are you breathing? Good. You start right now... Sorry for the rant. I am cleaning up after ANOTHER moron that "are an installer".

As of yesterday I was getting around 65 or so for most transponders on 110 and the pic was stable. I may give them a call anyway to double check or in case it goes down again.

WiCkeDuDe said:
The 129 will not get near as high of signal points as the 119 or 110. If you can get the 129 into the high 70's you are doing pretty good. Some guys will point of the 129 here and sacrifice some signal on the 110 and 119 to get the 129 higher. If your picture is cutting out then you need to get them on the phone and have someone that knows what they are doing come peak the dish 1000.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)