VOIP Will I have an issue with Install

theodore_miller

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I just thought about this. I have Vonage VOIP and no active phone line other than the line from me device to my on corless phone. Does anyone else have VOIP that is upgrading to a 622? Feedback would be awesome!

I have VoicePulse and I got my 622 to connect by using the prefix *99. I also heard that *70 works but I cannot test it because my receiver says no dial out pending. I had Packet 8 and it wouldn't dial out no matter what I did. I believe as long as Vonage uses the G711 codec that you should be fine.

Your problem wont be Vonage - that works fine (search the forum for "Vonage" - there have been a few discussions on it) - basically just use the *99 prefix mentioned above just in case, and maybe set your call quality to highest on the Vonage Dashboard - it's called Bandwidth Saver).

However -
You'll need to plug the Dish reciever into a wired phone jack though. You can split the Vonage line - hopefully your ATA is close to the Dish reciever, or you're gonna have some fun with wiring (or pay the extra $5-6 per month charge from Dish).

I only had one cordless phone too, so I disconnected the telco wires at the box attached to the outside of my house, then plugged my ATA into an existing phone jack in my house. That way all my existing jacks were active on Vonage. (still had to wire up one more jack, though).

The reason I disconnected the wires outside the house was to prevent voltage from the phone company coming through the wires if they accidentally turned phone service back on. That would be bad for the ATA.

EDIT: I should mention that I'm doing this with 522's. One is going to be swapped out for a 622 this coming Saturday, so I'll know for sure about Vonage compatibility with the 622 then...

Last edited:
I have Vonage w/ Comcast HSI and the 622, and I am happy to report that I have had no problems. Incidentally, *99 DOES NOT work for me when entered. I just leave it blank and all is well.

emoney28 said:
I have Vonage w/ Comcast HSI and the 622, and I am happy to report that I have had no problems. Incidentally, *99 DOES NOT work for me when entered. I just leave it blank and all is well.

Wish I could plug my 311 into my Cingular cell!!! I am on the road five days per week (out of state) and I have never had a landline since I moved to the US for that very reason.

I have a Cingular cell and it is quite a hoot when I call Dish...the occasional CSR who questions me, I give the name and phone number of the hotel I am currently staying in and just say, "...if you don't believe that I am in state XX, just call the hotel I am staying at and ask for me." LOL

So I am one of those who get hit with multiple receiver fees, but it is still cheaper than paying for a land line that I would never use.

My Vonage unit is at the other end of the house. I do not want to plug the new 622 into a phone line at all. I do not have any current Dish receivers plugged in.

I guess the question is, when they come to install the 622, will I have any issues not wanting to plug the 622 into any phone line now or later?

Thanks!

theodore_miller said:
My Vonage unit is at the other end of the house. I do not want to plug the new 622 into a phone line at all. I do not have any current Dish receivers plugged in.

I guess the question is, when they come to install the 622, will I have any issues not wanting to plug the 622 into any phone line now or later?

Thanks!
If you don't mind paying the fee the only thing you should have to worry about is being AUDITED by DISH.:)

I just installed two 622's a 625 and a 301 to a sunrocket voip gizmo with multiple splitters and cordless phones. The receivers had no problem dialing and they were able to navigate through the service menus.

I did not need any dialing prefix either. Also, the callerid worked as expected but it is a bit slow to appear.

-mlr

mlrtime3 said:
I just installed two 622's a 625 and a 301 to a sunrocket voip gizmo with multiple splitters and cordless phones. The receivers had no problem dialing and they were able to navigate through the service menus.

I did not need any dialing prefix either. Also, the callerid worked as expected but it is a bit slow to appear.

-mlr

RE: SunRocket.

Can you further explain your mutiple splitter setup? DVR plugged into what, plugged into what?? Dumb it down for me.

By multiple splitters I just mean those little rj11 splitters that allows you to hookup two phone lines to one rj11 port. What else would you like to know?

RJ11SPLITTER_.jpg

So If my main phone connection is across the room, and I have an installed phone line for my DVR on the other side of the room, then by having VOIP on this main line, I would also have to hook up my DVR to this main line? So NO running the DVR through the installed phone line I got 2 years ago when my DISH was installed?

So If my main phone connection is across the room, and I have an installed phone line for my DVR on the other side of the room, then by having VOIP on this main line, I would also have to hook up my DVR to this main line? So NO running the DVR through the installed phone line I got 2 years ago when my DISH was installed?

I'm sorry I don't understand what you're trying to do. Could you please explain what you current have for a phone service and what is connected to it.

What I did was disconnect my in-home-wiring from the outside circuit to verizon. I then plugged a cable from my voip router into one of my wall jacks. This enable the whole house to use the voip service just as if it were coming from verizon. You can only do this if you disconnect your original non-voip cable from your houses wiring.

mlrtime3 said:
What I did was disconnect my in-home-wiring from the outside circuit to verizon. wiring.

This is what it sounds like I need to do. I'm just wanting to switch over to a VOIP provider, but don't want to have to pay $5/monthly since my DVR won't be connected. When my dish was installed, they also installed a phone line to it. It sounds like what you described would allow all my phone lines to work through the VOIP router.

Can you give me an idea how to go about disconnecting my in-home-wiring from the outside cirtcuit to SBC/ATT?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)