Bad multi switch

tm01

Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Hello everyone I'm new here and I think this is a great site. I have a round dual lnb dish. I have had one box hooked to this dish since I purchased it (3 years ago). Recently purchased a hugh's dvr box through Directv (installation included). Service man delivered and hooked up box. Everything works just fine on both lines. Decided to add a multi-switch and eventually put a box in each bedroom so I can get rid of cable. Purchased on-line a perfect vision powered 8 way multi switch. Installed the switch running 2 lines in and 2 lines out to the dvr. Now I get the "searching for signal" message on one of the lines all the time. I will get most of the channels in on that line but a few I don't. I am not getting a good signal or no signal at all on some of the transponders. I reset the box with no change at all. I have called directv to no avail. I bypassed the box and all is normal again so obviously my dish is o.k. my wiring is o.k. and the box is o.k. I must note that it is a 100' run on both lines from the dish to the multi-switch plus another 12' to the box. I figure either the box is bad or a 100' foot run on both lines to the switch is too far considering the signal is getting split 8 ways? I could use some opinions here. thanks everyone

Couple of questions. You mention that you don't receive a signal on some transponders. Are they odd or even transponders that you do not get a signal on?

When you inserted the switch into the line, did you put the connectors on the cable, or were they already there? Do the receivers work on all transponders with the switch not in line?

It sounds like your lnbf is not getting proper voltage with the switch in the line. 100 feet is not too long of a run for a powered multi-switch. Your receiver is not bad if it works with the switch out of the loop.

Alan

Switch was bad

I purchased a multi-switch from a local satellite dealer today. I hooked it up and all is well. The switch is the exact same switch as the previous switch so it definitly was the switch. Thanks for the replies :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)