bad multiswitch / multiplexer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

leoingle

Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Texas
i have a dual LNB going into a multiswitch and 2 cables go to my DVR in the living room and 1 goes to my receiver in my bedroom. it has worked fine for 8 years. i come home tonight and neither of my receivers can get signal. I did a test on my DVR and it doesnt even seem to be seeing the LNBs. Is it possible for a multiswitch just go out over time? it is a non powered one.

any thing could happen you can test . un plug the dvr then hook up the 2 lines direct to the 2 lines for the dvr and plug back in .

I am in the IT world, so i definitely know about the "anything can happen" clause! well, those cables are buried in the ground and the multiplexer is outside. And any kind of testing just wasn't feasible last night. haha i will probably get a long cable and a butt connector and test it out later today. I have been thinking about upgrading my service, so it looks like i might be doing it sooner than i wanted to. i was just curious about if those can actually go out. Anybody else ever heard of one just going out?

i have a dual LNB going into a multiswitch and 2 cables go to my DVR in the living room and 1 goes to my receiver in my bedroom. it has worked fine for 8 years. i come home tonight and neither of my receivers can get signal. I did a test on my DVR and it doesnt even seem to be seeing the LNBs. Is it possible for a multiswitch just go out over time? it is a non powered one.
You call the switch non powered but how does the voltage from the receiver get to the LNB? Guess what the switch passes receiver voltage through it it just dosen't have a separate power supply. All you need is a F-81(butt splice) to replace the switch connect the receiver directly to the cables coming from the LNB.

You call the switch non powered but how does the voltage from the receiver get to the LNB? Guess what the switch passes receiver voltage through it it just dosen't have a separate power supply. All you need is a F-81(butt splice) to replace the switch connect the receiver directly to the cables coming from the LNB.

thats what i meant. it didnt have it's own powered supply. i looked them up to check on a replacement and many sites listed them as powered and non-powered. so i dont think my terminology was too wrong, mr. term nazi.

and for an update, the multiplexer did go bad. i finally had time to get under my place with some butt connectors and tested it out. i just bypassed it and have only a single connection going to my DVR for now. it'll work until i decide who and what i wanna go with in the near future.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)