Bad News For HD net and HD Net movie fans!!

HBO HD, I've noticed on my 811, has degraded some. I know it's not my TV settings.

I think in a nutshell, Dish knows based on their user information, that HD is just not understood and accepted by the majority of their subscribers. Why focus on HD when channel count will reel in a customer faster.

I see no reason why any of us should expect HDNET and HDNMV quality to return to their previous glory. If this were important to E* then they wouldn't degrade the quality to air a free preview channel.

As soon as they started doing this this past summer, I knew the game was up. Thus my subsequent post about the HD-lite war being over. This decision was the straw that tipped the balance to me.

So if it isn't one free preview channel then it will be another. And if it isn't a free preview channel, then it will be E* moving a new "HD" channel into that slot.

What boggles me is that anyone viewing the degraded "HD" from the free preview channel would think so much of it that that would upgrade to HD.

Tom Bombadil said:
I see no reason why any of us should expect HDNET and HDNMV quality to return to their previous glory. If this were important to E* then they wouldn't degrade the quality to air a free preview channel.

As soon as they started doing this this past summer, I knew the game was up. Thus my subsequent post about the HD-lite war being over. This decision was the straw that tipped the balance to me.

So if it isn't one free preview channel then it will be another. And if it isn't a free preview channel, then it will be E* moving a new "HD" channel into that slot.

What boggles me is that anyone viewing the degraded "HD" from the free preview channel would think so much of it that that would upgrade to HD.

Well said and unfortunately, I believe it to be true also. I have decided that after my 18 month commitment, (if there is no improvement) I will give up on the HD metal packages and go back to the standard def channels for less money. I will buy a HD DVD or BluRay and enjoy my movies that way. I don't believe this practice with downgrading the resolution will change until enough people are educated to know the difference in quality and buy enough HD TV's to demand the quality they can see through their off air locals and HD DVD players. Until then, it seems to be pointless to continue to beat our heads against Dish's wall.

Unfortunately, most people don't care. I live with spouse and 3 teens, all fairly techi, and when CSI Miami is on OTA HD and they show the background shots, they are like wow, ooo, ahhh, but 1 hour later, she/they will watch an SD version of something when it's on in HD via locals or say Starz / Starz HD. It's just not a priority to them.

I don't know how many people have bought HDTV's, paid thousands of dollars for them, and take them home and hook them up with improper cables or to standard cable and dish boxes and never know or think any different about it.

I went to a guys house a month ago who had an 811 hooked up to his HDTV with an S-Video cable, and this was done by Dish installer. When I supplied him with the proper cable, he was like wow !! He had been running it that way for a year.

Why does putting a hd channel on the hd lineup help anyone. We already get the HD Rave and if you do not have a hd receiver you do not get hd channels (or do you) This would make the only sense I can think of is to get it to non hd people.
So is rave now in the sd lineup. If so does it go to the sd receivers as a sd channel. If so then how can it take up much space as a standard sd channel.

dude2 said:
Why does putting a hd channel on the hd lineup help anyone. We already get the HD Rave and if you do not have a hd receiver you do not get hd channels (or do you) This would make the only sense I can think of is to get it to non hd people.
So is rave now in the sd lineup. If so does it go to the sd receivers as a sd channel. If so then how can it take up much space as a standard sd channel.

I would assume this is for folks that only have MPEG2-capable receivers (6000, 811, 921, 942) to show them what they are "missing" by not upgrading to a MPEG4-capable receiver (411, 211, 622). Anyone who hasn't upgraded to the new receivers and/or metallic programming packs, only has some of the HD channels, not all of them.

See how quickly they are willing to sacrifice HD quality.

There is almost no payoff here for E*. The only people who gain from the preview RAVE in HD are those with MPEG2 HD receivers who don't get 61.5 or 129. That's a pretty small audience.

Apparently E* believes that subs with older HD receivers who haven't yet upgraded to a MPEG4 receiver, will be persuaded to do so by viewing a 1280x1080i VOOM RAVE channel.

And while this could be influenced/biased by my not liking the preview channel, the image on 287 didn't look as good to me as compared to 9470.

Tom Bombadil said:
See how quickly they are willing to sacrifice HD quality.

There is almost no payoff here for E*. The only people who gain from the preview RAVE in HD are those with MPEG2 HD receivers who don't get 61.5 or 129. That's a pretty small audience.

Apparently E* believes that subs with older HD receivers who haven't yet upgraded to a MPEG4 receiver, will be persuaded to do so by viewing a 1280x1080i VOOM RAVE channel.

And while this could be influenced/biased by my not liking the preview channel, the image on 287 didn't look as good to me as compared to 9470.

You are so right here! Waste of time and space i want my HD NETS back.

Scott Greczkowski said:
No Mark Cuban himself said here at SatelliteGuys that he had no problem with HDLite.

I think I fell of my seat when I read that.

And shortly then after he disappeared from here (unless he is lurking).

I'm hoping the HD Lite lawsuit at D* will wake up someone and make them set minimum resolutions to quailfy to be able to call a channel "HD"...