Bad news for SIRIUSXM

no they won't let people cancel
Yeah, they will, but they make it hard to do so by offering $4 and $5 a month subs until the end of that sub and you try to cancel again. I finally got fed up with it and cancelled permanently.

So you got tired of paying $4 a month? Should I drop Charter internet because I have to call every six months to get a reduction on my subscription? Or DISH because to get a reduction I have to contact them?
You can cancel if that is what you want to do. If you took discounts you didn't really want to cancel you wanted to pay less. Same can be said when people call DISH or Charter or any of them to cancel.

I feel very saddened by the way that all beautiful technical developments are being ruined by the copyright mafia. Being an older person I grew up and lived in a timeslot where it was great fun to listen to far away radiostations (out-of-state and Canadian when I lived in California, all over Europe when living here in Europe) and no one even thought of such issues. We recorded music and or radio programmes on a tape recorder, later cassette tracks, and it was the most normal thing in the world.

When satellite television came to Europe, we had been told that it would start with a system of high powered satellites on which each European country would have five tv programmes to start with. Mind you, this was in the blissful days that most countries including mine had only public television without any commercials interrupting programs. Using a sensitive turnable areal system I could receive the television programmes on VHF and UHF of three countries in perfect quality on a daily basis of one or two countries with some noise in the picture and from around 5 more countries when weather conditions were favorable. How was I to know that idiots would start locking it away once it became available in an easier manner? That terrestrial open reception would make ways for a totally locked up sigital system?

AM radio is being abandoned in most European countries, DAB and dvb-t/t2 terrestrial signals are too weak to cross borders substantially and on satellite so much in the ways of public broadcasting is encrypted and totally unavailable (not even the option to buy a paid subscribe from abroad) that one feels increasingly choked. Shortwave radio has already been murdered so it's no longer possible for me to travel through Europe using my supersensitive Becker car radio to stay in touch with home or with other countries of which I can understand the languages.

I felt very jealous when I read that in the US there was radio via satellite that could be received in a moving vehicle, but reading this here again it seems that money-greed kills off all that contributes to a care free enjoyment of what technology has to offer us. It feels almost like the bastards who keen ruining our computer pleasure with their virusses and spyware (not to mention governments that abuse our freedom of expression by spying on us). What in heaven's name can we normal people do to get back to the lifestyle of not so long ago while maintaining the beauty of advanced technology?

Ah, the Achilles heel of capitalism, trying to squeeze the last bit of blood from the turnip. Or just boorish behavior in the guise of self assumed cleverness?

So you got tired of paying $4 a month? Should I drop Charter internet because I have to call every six months to get a reduction on my subscription? Or DISH because to get a reduction I have to contact them?
You can cancel if that is what you want to do. If you took discounts you didn't really want to cancel you wanted to pay less. Same can be said when people call DISH or Charter or any of them to cancel.
My problem is sound quality. .too compressed...the old XM was cd quality

Reactions: TheKrell
It's still enjoyable, not as good as FM on quality anymore, but ease of use is a big plus now. Get in car and turn ignition on, then done. No messing with bluetooth or ipod cords, no syncing playlists etc... Unless I'm going on a long trip to make that hassle worthwhile, I've come to the conclusion to take any discounts offered and just enjoy it for it what it is.

It's still enjoyable, not as good as FM on quality anymore, but ease of use is a big plus now. Get in car and turn ignition on, then done. No messing with bluetooth or ipod cords, no syncing playlists etc... Unless I'm going on a long trip to make that hassle worthwhile, I've come to the conclusion to take any discounts offered and just enjoy it for it what it is.

That sums up my feelings however for us particularly when we travel. We have some favorite channels and I get to hear my teams no matter where we are.

My problem is sound quality. .too compressed...the old XM was cd quality

True it doesn't sound as good as it did when XM was separate. But in a car honestly it's fine.

The sound quality of my Chevy's built in XM radio doesn't bother me at all. To be honest, I notice it more when I'm listening to talk radio than music. It's tough to explain but something in their compression sometimes almost makes people sound like they have a lisp.

Most of my listening is on MLB Network Radio, MLB play-by-play channels, ESPN Radio, Dan Patrick Show on SiriusXM Sports, or the various news channels. I do listen to music on the weekends if there isn't a live baseball or football game I want to listen to since none of those channels use their regular guys on the weekend.

When I'm listening to music I don't really notice a difference between XM and bluetooth audio from my phone. I never listen to FM music or CDs anymore so that's really all I have to go by. I guess I'm no audiophile. Either that or there is enough road noise that I don't care about the difference in quality.

Reactions: Tampa8
I f you want to hear XM at a higher quality[how does 320kbps sound to you?]you need to download the new app or try the new online player[it'll make you want to put away your portables and turn off your in car radio imho.

I feel very saddened by the way that all beautiful technical developments are being ruined by the copyright mafia. Being an older person I grew up and lived in a timeslot where it was great fun to listen to far away radiostations (out-of-state and Canadian when I lived in California, all over Europe when living here in Europe) and no one even thought of such issues. We recorded music and or radio programmes on a tape recorder, later cassette tracks, and it was the most normal thing in the world.

AM radio is being abandoned in most European countries, DAB and dvb-t/t2 terrestrial signals are too weak to cross borders substantially and on satellite so much in the ways of public broadcasting is encrypted and totally unavailable (not even the option to buy a paid subscribe from abroad) that one feels increasingly choked. Shortwave radio has already been murdered so it's no longer possible for me to travel through Europe using my supersensitive Becker car radio to stay in touch with home or with other countries of which I can understand the languages.

I felt very jealous when I read that in the US there was radio via satellite that could be received in a moving vehicle, but reading this here again it seems that money-greed kills off all that contributes to a care free enjoyment of what technology has to offer us. It feels almost like the bastards who keen ruining our computer pleasure with their virusses and spyware (not to mention governments that abuse our freedom of expression by spying on us). What in heaven's name can we normal people do to get back to the lifestyle of not so long ago while maintaining the beauty of advanced technology?

Excellent writeup! Sorry I pulled a little bit of it out of the quote for length, but well put. Of late, you echo my thoughts on technology and big companies. You can spell the virus they have: G-R-E-E-D. It's augmented every time a company decides rather than compete, do a buyout. We've seen it in SO many industries, and communications leads the pack. When it happens, the greed of the "decision makers" is fed, and the product for the consumer is compromised. I was accused of being a "traitor" to my own industry of terrestrial radio when XM first came out. I had a receiver in my car the day they lit up the satellite for the northern U.S. I had over an hour in the car commute to do my morning show, and it was nice having consistency in programming. I enjoyed the quality. I've heard it go down in quality as well, like others report. It was a good product. It made local radio polish what it does, to remain viable, and LOCAL radio had (and has) the advantage that there are government limits on the amount of "local content" that satellite music stations on XM/Sirius can carry. Not sure how they got around serving up some of the "big" terrestrial stations when XM hit the (satellite) air.

Technology has moved faster than our human brain's ability to apply or learn common sense to the tech! We feed lawyers, we write disclaimers, and we always blame everyone else, rather than putting energy into innovation and positive forward motion in our businesses and our lives. It's tough to fight it anymore. Terrestrial radio is under attack by the music industry now! We already pay the people who WRITE the songs, but now, those who write AND perform want to double dip. They WANT us to play their songs, but they want to be paid for us to do it. Not enough money in legal downloads, CDs, concerts, record DEALS and endorsements anymore. We (radio stations) even BUY our music these days, it's not handed to us to promote by the music industry. Hasn't been for a LONG time. It all points back to GREED. We've allowed it to happen, and the "common" person's voice means little up against large corporate lobbying where technology issues are concerned, or at least, RADIO. (but we are by no means, "alone" in this type of fight.)

When XM and Sirius competed, there was some degree of innovation in programming. Merged: bland. Same happened in all the buyouts in corporate terrestrial radio. Now the big guys answer to stockholders instead of LISTENERS.

You nailed the essence of many issues, not just communications with your reply in this thread. Thank you for writing it . I really liked your "Copyright Mafia" phrase, too.

I'm pretty sure Sirius XM can carry as much "local" content as they want, however, every channel must be available nationwide. So they can't use repeaters to offer a "New York City" version of Hits 1 for example, which is only audible in New York City. This is pretty much why the traffic and weather channels are available nationwide. It's doubtful that anyone outside of a market cares about traffic and weather for that market, but the reason it's heard everywhere is because all channels must be part of the national lineup. There are additional CRTC content based restrictions on Canadian channels (they can only carry limited national advertising, and hardly any local advertising) but I am fairly certain the FCC has no such content restrictions on American-produced channels.

And personally I actually enjoy hearing Z100 and KIIS Los Angeles on SXM. It's like the radio version of "superstations" like TBS and WGN back in the day. I even liked it when they had WLW on XM, I thought that was a neat idea too.

Yea, but I can't live without internet. If they shut my XM off, I could care less. The only reason why I listen to it is because I drive a lot and hate having to find a new radio station when I travel out of area. I prefer to keep 1 station on all the time.

Its NOT worth $17/mo, at the most maybe $5 per month.

Besides that, its easy to give XM a fake name and phone number every 3 months and get a free trial again, and then just wait for them offers to start coming in the mail for their $5 promotion when it comes time to pony up some money and actually subscribe.

I just find it hilarious that the satellite radio companies are so scared to loose you as a customer that they have resorted to automatically charging credit cards and offering free trials and $5 offers to get service.

BTW, I always pay them with a pre-paid credit card just so they can't rebill me. But I also refuse to pay them full price when I read about all the deals they offer for people to stay.

Reactions: Blindowl1234
Yea, but I can't live without internet. If they shut my XM off, I could care less. The only reason why I listen to it is because I drive a lot and hate having to find a new radio station when I travel out of area. I prefer to keep 1 station on all the time.

Its NOT worth $17/mo, at the most maybe $5 per month.

Besides that, its easy to give XM a fake name and phone number every 3 months and get a free trial again, and then just wait for them offers to start coming in the mail for their $5 promotion when it comes time to pony up some money and actually subscribe.

I just find it hilarious that the satellite radio companies are so scared to loose you as a customer that they have resorted to automatically charging credit cards and offering free trials and $5 offers to get service.

BTW, I always pay them with a pre-paid credit card just so they can't rebill me. But I also refuse to pay them full price when I read about all the deals they offer for people to stay.
I would think the radio ID would tip them off after awhile

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)