Bad News that looks like good news :)

I went to school in mid-late 80's, had BASIC and Pascal programmiong classes. Yup, waste of time they were. :)

In about 1996 I bought an AST computer. Intel P133, 16MB RAM, I think 4GB HD and a 17" monitor. It was the bomb at a very reasonable $2200. :eek:hshit: :D

Then I threw in a Rendition Verite Video card for $150 and played some video games. :)

Interesting that you would think BASIC was a waste of time. That is the language used to prepare much of an Uplink Activity Report which shows up somewhere on the Internet. :D

I did not go to school for that, but bought or scrounged the books.

BobMurdoch said:
At least your college computer classes are USEFUL. When I went to college from 1984-1988 the computer classes were all about Fortran and Pascal programming (which were then useless 2 years later).

I was learning Autocoder and a data communications line ran at a blazing 300bps and the modem was the size of today's microwaves and cost 10 times more.

... and the portable casette tape storage device. Oh, the kids don't know what they're missing.

Commodore 64, Apple II was the bomb. :)

Check around for a filtered case, there are some that are sealed well and have good filters on them though you will pay out for them. Also make sure you have a good power supply, the minimum these days is 400 watts with many machines now running 450 watts. Monthly dusting helps to and placing the case up off the floor helps specialy if there are pets in the home.

I remember the Aquarius keyboard that I connected to the television in the early 90's which used BASIC programming. It came with a booklet and I would copy what was in that booklet into the screen and when I did the command to run it would run the program. I had the countdown clock or where it would print things out. It had explandable memory or game slot and the little printer and I even had a modem cartridge but could not find that. It also had a video cassette recorder where you could store your programs on the cassette.

This was made in 1984 by Mattel Electronics. I thought I saw a Microsoft copyright as well at the top of the screen but cannot remember. I still have it somewhere.

rad said:
I was learning Autocoder and a data communications line ran at a blazing 300bps and the modem was the size of today's microwaves and cost 10 times more.
Wow - you're even older than I am. :D

Autocoder was "legacy" and modems were the size of a 811 when I got started. ;) We DID run that 14xx code on 360s in emulation mode, though. :)

mdonnelly said:
Ah yes. FSK Bell 103? History.

Yep. It was connected to an IBM 1009 (size of a range/stove) communications controller which was connected to an IBM 1401, we had it maxed with 16KB of memory and even the extra feature that allowed it to do multiplication and division directly vs. just adding/subtracting the number X number of times.

Iceberg said:
Commodore 64 was the bomb....getting that 3.5 floppy drive (instead of the 5 1/4 drive) was so cool :)

Wow, I've only known one other person that had a 3.5 Commodore drive. By the time it came out, Commodores were well past their prime.

I started college in 1989, and my first roommate had the same setup I had- Commodore 128 with both kinds of floppys. And GEOS! (Graphic Environment Operating System.) GEOS came out a couple years after Windows 1.0, but I never even saw a Windows computer until after 3.0 came out, so at the time people compared it to MacOS. (My wife was still using a DOS-only computer when I met her in 1995)

I still have the freakin monitor...it's my kitchen TV. That stuff was rock-solid.

rad said:
Yep. It was connected to an IBM 1009 (size of a range/stove) communications controller which was connected to an IBM 1401, we had it maxed with 16KB of memory and even the extra feature that allowed it to do multiplication and division directly vs. just adding/subtracting the number X number of times.
Yup - these kids nowadays don't have a clue how to code efficiently - THAT'S where bloatware comes from, NOT from new features.

M Sparks said:
Wow, I've only known one other person that had a 3.5 Commodore drive. By the time it came out, Commodores were well past their prime.

I started college in 1989, and my first roommate had the same setup I had- Commodore 128 with both kinds of floppys. And GEOS! (Graphic Environment Operating System.) GEOS came out a couple years after Windows 1.0, but I never even saw a Windows computer until after 3.0 came out, so at the time people compared it to MacOS. (My wife was still using a DOS-only computer when I met her in 1995)

I still have the freakin monitor...it's my kitchen TV. That stuff was rock-solid.
I had or probably Have GEOS somewhere if my floppys have not plumb flaked out... I never had the 3.5 drive nor the Monitor where I could use the 80 column on my 128D...I did not mess with PC's until 1999 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)