Bad picture quality on 480i Compaired to OTA Digital 480i

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Pick one. You want quality PQ in either SD or HD component modes or poor SD PQ regardless of your video output connection. HD PQ is slighly better than the LG and volumes above anything Samsung makes.

I want to be able to use S-vid to SVHS and HD to projector (ALL HOT/ALL THE TIME) without having to constantly change the receiver settings. I have had absolutely NO PQ issues with my units SD or HD so thats why I asked if you had side by side compared the top units ?

I have access to all current and past production models; TS160, TS360, DST3000, DST3100, DTC100, DTC200, DTC210, HDTivo, LG3200 / a, SR-HD400, SR-HD5, DSHD800. Sorry, not going to list all re-labeled LG, Metron, Philips, & Samsung models. If PQ is your #one concern you have my answer. If convenience is your requirement and are happy with simultaneous PQ, then you need look no further.

What surprised me is that the only labels that manuf their own product where Tivo, Samsung, Toshiba, & Philips. Then D* broadcast their D* exclusive label partnerships, and at the same time, RCA / Thompson did not announce, but chose Samsung to manuf their future receivers, followed by Samsung announcing they where out sourcing to Metron. Tivo still OEM, Philips who knows, and Toshiba told - good bye. Wondering why there are not many choices for Xmas?

If you look at the number of posts versus views, the DST has proven to be a relatively complaint free model, but, this is not a recommend. I keep saying it is not a receiver for everyone and yet it seems I am quoted on other forums, Gary recommended. Perhaps we should all agree that D* needs to eat their oats and re-evaluate their partnerships based on not so recent revelations.

Poor Pq On D*

You are right about the poor PQ of SD on D*.I did not enjoy SD (480i) on D*. I have a HD STB and as a result everything was bumped up to 1080i with little control over picture size. You can either stretch it or not. With HD OTA does look better than D* compressed feed.

When I got VOOM I discovered that their STB allows for Native Resolution which means you get HD in HD and SD in SD allowing you to freely control picture size. The resolution is always exactly what is being broadcast.SD actually looks better in 480i than bumped up to 1080i. I usually use SMOOTH WIDE on my Hitachi which fills the screen (so no burn-in) on my 16X9 but only slightly stretches the edges. It is almost un-noticeable on my Hitachi. The other option (stretch) makes everyone look 5X5. And PILLAr or 4X3 will get you gray or black side bars which will cause burn-in over a period of time.

I should explain that at present I have both services but as soon as the NFL season is over I'm dumping D and it's 9 HD channels for VOOM and its 40+ HD channels.

Just keep in mind I am speaking of 480i component versus 480i S-Vid. Suspect your VOOM re-run movie may be unsatisfactory long term. VOOM does not post their receivers specs on-line and their future is now in question. VOOM is too busy enhancing their web site with Active X & Flash, trying, "so called" to educate potential subs. The book; "HDTV for Dummies" or was that "WebTV for Dummies"? No insult intended. But then, VOOM is CableVision, has no clue about content or the meaning of customer service, & assumes that most people would ever understand technical specs.

The Hughes HTL-HD has the same format feature that the Voom box has. I can set mine to Native Resolution too.....

But it cannot output 480i SD or HD component, and native is not auto fit. I am not trying to confuse anyone. I am, trying to convey realities. That said, please do not rush out and buy a DST, most will be unhappy unless specifically, seeking PQ.

This is for the nuts in Phoenix area - has anyone seen an actuall show on UPN here broadcast in HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)