Bad picture quality on 480i Compaired to OTA Digital 480i

Status
Please reply by conversation.

twodutys

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Brighton, Co
Just got the RCA DTC210 and was compairing the D* feed of the locals compaired to the OTA Digital feed and there is a lot better quality OTA. Has anyone figured out why? The D* feed is out of focus. I thought they would be the same for 480i.

The OTA signal to you is direct or 1st generation signal and is digital. The SD signal you get from a DBS is not only compressed, but generally is not provided to them in the best or cleanest manner (sometimes not even digital) and it is a multi-generational signal, probably 3rd of 4th generation.

dfergie said:
actually I have a 20" flat screen that I noticed it on first...before I got Hdtv...

I guess it just so apparent on the 55". I think Charper1 got it figured out. That would make sense.

You will definately notice it more on a RPTV of that size.

My ota Analog looks worse than DTV (5 miles from tower) OTA digital obviously looks better than DTV.

My 2cents worth.

if you are only 5 miles away and get crappy pictures then you may have mutil-path, antenna is too strong ? you should be golden.

I live in Phx AZ, land of the crummy TV broadcasts and even worse news anchors :) Signals just as bad at work for me also!

I live at I60 and Val Vista, one any local TV news sux and two the valleys cant help but have issues. My OTA digital and HD is pretty damn good; I would never be caught dead watching OTA analog.

Exactly.. now if I could get waivers for other than fox e/w I would be happy.

fkostyn said:
Exactly.. now if I could get waivers for other than fox e/w I would be happy.

I know the PHX NBC affiliate is O&O. I don't keep up with who all is O&O but maybe one of the board experts will post this list or link. You shouldn't have any issues getting waivers from O&O affiliates.

Phoenix area ownerships -

Channel 3 - Ind - Belo Interactive
Channel 5 - CBS - Worldnow
Channel 8 - PBS - ASU
Channel 10 - Fox - Fox owned
Channel 12 - NBC - Gannet Company
Channel 15 - ABC - Scripps Howard
Channel 45 - UPN - Fox/UTV Holdings
Channel 61 - WB - Belo Interactive

While I have compared many of D*'s HD receivers side by side, the Toshiba DST-3100 stands apart from the rest in only this sense, it's 480i component SD up & HD down PQ conversion is pretty awesome while 480i S-Vid SD up & HD down DBS PQ conversion across all current HD receiver models, leaves much to be desired. Prehaps it is more about the receivers ability to perform quality up/down conversion.

Interestingly, I conducted a PQ test with a Samsung S310 which has 480i component. PQ looked as poor as S-Vid on this model, but compared against the DST, you would not believe your on the same DBS service.

Have you seen the RCA DTC-210, Sony SAT-HD300 or 200, LG LSS-3200a aka Zenith HD-SAT530 compared to the Toshiba DST-3100? I compared all on the same screen and wonder how or what makes it stand out? It also does not out S-vid & composite simultaneously. It reminds me of the old RCA DTC-100 or Mitsubishi SR-HD boxes but with a few updates from the DST-3000. Has a built in nosiy fan.

The DST-3100 simultaneously outputs RF, S-Vid, composite, & 480i component, correctly scales 480i component to the receivers aspect ratio setting (4:3 or 16:9) while simultaneously converting RF, S-Vid, & composite to 4:3, regardless of receiver aspect ratio setting. In HD 720p / 1080i, SD video outputs are off. If you purchased one in the initial release, Toshiba gladly RMA'd the noisy fan with a silent fan.

With complaints about HD PQ, due to compression, this receiver is a pleasant surprise in 480i component and has a coveted following among DLP HT enthusiasts. Keep in mind it is not a feature rich product and requires the purchase of a 3rd party universal learning remote. It has an icon based station guide which I hated at first, but now, find myself annoyed squinting at text station EPG's. Easily cataloged as an esoteric twlight zone product and certainly not for everyone.

GWHD said:
The DST-3100 simultaneously outputs RF, S-Vid, composite, & 480i component (SNIP) In HD 720p / 1080i, SD video outputs are off. If you purchased one in the initial release, Toshiba gladly RMA'd the noisy fan with a silent fan.

Thus it DOES NOT have simultaneous outputs. A HUGE drawback.

I am not doubting you like it or that it is a quality receiver, but I think it is a bit of a stretch to say it stands out compared to that list. IMHO

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)