bad sub contractor service

ronfelder said:
Question. I have noticed now that things have warmed up and ice has melted from the cabling the new channels that I have found, missing, 160, 301, 302 have come back on tv 2. Does that suggest the cabling is bad or just not up to par?
Ron

Is it possible that there is a nick in the cable from a staple or *ahem* squirrel

chadzx11 said:
Is it possible that there is a nick in the cable from a staple or *ahem* squirrel

I suppose anything is possible. I'm just not looking to how he'll have to route the new cable. I live in the middle of four townhouses and all he can do is either over the roof and in the front wall and around the baseboard to the receiver or if he's willing to do some fishing to feed it through the attic from the back of the house to the front.

Ron

phone call from Dish

Well I just received a call from Dish. I had written and resnt a complaint letter to ceo@echostar.com and with an hour or so I recieved a call. They apologized, I explained all that happened and he's making sure I get what some one has already called a lead technician. He also said it isn't possible to have everything on board to fix the problem. I hope the tech that comes out does have what I need.

Ron

ronfelder said:
I had the name memorized of the sub contractor, but have since forgotten. I would think though wouldn't Dish know who the sub contractor was for they were the ones who they faxed the work order to, true?

I called to make sure that they Dish knew the problems I was having and that they passed it on to the tech for this Saturday. They told me they were sending what I would call, don't remember his words a "super tech." Will do another post after he finishes letting you know the outcome.

OH!! Soemone had asked about the wallplates , as to what kind. To the best of my knowledge they are the knid you'd get at Radio Shack. Two were installed by the builder and one by the Dish installer back in 2000.

I'm going to tell for the billionth time the entire story to the tech when he comes.

Question. I have noticed now that things have warmed up and ice has melted from the cabling the new channels that I have found, missing, 160, 301, 302 have come back on tv 2. Does that suggest the cabling is bad or just not up to par?
Ron

Wall plates should have colored connectors in them..Blue or red is the most poular color....these are 3 gigaherz capable ..They are the plates required according to DN specs....
Sounds to me like you may have a cable issue...How old is the house..I ask because the older the home(if it was prewired) the more likely the cabling is not satellite compliant.......
If you haven't tried this....unplug the reciver form the wall or surge protector for 30 seconds....pug it back in..This will cause the receiver to reboot..Sometimes this will do the trick....Many times customers do not power down their receivers when not in use..This is a no-no.....Get into the habit of...TV off Satellite/ receiver off....

dishcomm said:
Wall plates should have colored connectors in them..Blue or red is the most poular color....these are 3 gigaherz capable ..They are the plates required according to DN specs....
Sounds to me like you may have a cable issue...How old is the house..I ask because the older the home(if it was prewired) the more likely the cabling is not satellite compliant.......
If you haven't tried this....unplug the reciver form the wall or surge protector for 30 seconds....pug it back in..This will cause the receiver to reboot..Sometimes this will do the trick....Many times customers do not power down their receivers when not in use..This is a no-no.....Get into the habit of...TV off Satellite/ receiver off....

House was built in 1989. I know the cabling in the wall says "catv" for i took off a plate.

ronfelder said:
House was built in 1989. I know the cabling in the wall says "catv" for i took off a plate.
It's most likely rg 59 or rg 6 sweep tested to only 1800mhz....Neither are ideal for satellite.....
How many floors/stories is your townhome? Is it built on a concrete slab?
Two story wallfishes are real challenge......I imagine the location of your tv is on an interior wall and a cable from the outside will go across a hall way or door way?.....Let me know...Perhaps if you can describe the room for me and the other issues I can attempt to come up with a solution.....If it is two stories,is the ceiling in the room in question vaulted to the roof ?....Is the attic accesable?......

dishcomm said:
It's most likely rg 59 or rg 6 sweep tested to only 1800mhz....Neither are ideal for satellite.....
How many floors/stories is your townhome? Is it built on a concrete slab?
Two story wallfishes are real challenge......I imagine the location of your tv is on an interior wall and a cable from the outside will go across a hall way or door way?.....Let me know...Perhaps if you can describe the room for me and the other issues I can attempt to come up with a solution.....If it is two stories,is the ceiling in the room in question vaulted to the roof ?....Is the attic accesable?......

House is built on a slab and is tw stories. it has an attic. the line that feeds tv 2 runs along the baseboard into a coat clostet, through to the outside wall up and into a window. The tech used a flat piece of cable and the window closes down on it. I'm going to ask this guy to feed it throguh the wall and to use a wall plate.

tv 1 is on the inside all under the steps. So it would have to be fed along the baseboard out like the other cable to tv 2. ALl the cabling including what is int he wall is rg-6. In the wall cabling says "catv". The line through my bedroom says "primestar" on it. Outside line was installed by original Dish installer along with Primestar line back in 2000.

Ron

Last edited:
chadzx11 said:
Do they even make RG6 that isn't swept tested? I buy mine at dow for $27/1000ft and it is swept tested.

Has anybody chased it in the attic/crawlspace?

DOW? Ive not heard of that..... I assume a cable supplier is it just a local one in your area or would we might have something like that here in Tulsa?

I would love to purchase 1000ft cable for $27.00

It has been costing me $42.00 here ... but that makes me want to see who else is out there that might sell it cheaper... provided its the same quality.

Yeah. Really!! $42/1000 ft is more what I pay as well.

As to Ron, I'm still inclined to suspect it's the inside house wiring. It's a shame you're set against centrally locating your receiver and simply just running coax to both TV1 and TV2. That would really help in isolating things.

webbydude said:
Yeah. Really!! $42/1000 ft is more what I pay as well.

As to Ron, I'm still inclined to suspect it's the inside house wiring. It's a shame you're set against centrally locating your receiver and simply just running coax to both TV1 and TV2. That would really help in isolating things.

That would be a bad stupid for me. I wouldn't be able to use the s-video or optical out if i did it your way. tv 1 isn't even stereo. Plus picture is much better with the s-video. That is hwy the receiver has to be next to tv 1.

Ron

Last edited:
ronfelder said:
House is built on a slab and is tw stories. it has an attic. the line that feeds tv 2 runs along the baseboard into a coat clostet, through to the outside wall up and into a window. The tech used a flat piece of cable and the window closes down on it. I'm going to ask this guy to feed it throguh the wall and to use a wall plate.

tv 1 is on the inside all under the steps. So it would have to be fed along the baseboard out like the other cable to tv 2. ALl the cabling including what is int he wall is rg-6. In the wall cabling says "catv". The line through my bedroom says "primestar" on it. Outside line was installed by original Dish installer along with Primestar line back in 2000.

Ron
The flat cable has to go..That could be part of the problem.....Note!!!!! Use of flat cables is a DN spec violation..They should not be used..Have the tech install that line properly using a wall penetration and a 3 gig wall plate...
Since the cable is rg-6 and used for Primestar( I did those!!!) it is unlikely the cable itself is the issue.....Anything is possible though.....The tech should run a temp line to eliminate the cable as a suspected cause of the issue...Hpefully the tech that sercies your system this time will have his sh*t wired tight and has the work ethic to get the job done...

dishcomm said:
The flat cable has to go..That could be part of the problem.....Note!!!!! Use of flat cables is a DN spec violation..They should not be used..Have the tech install that line properly using a wall penetration and a 3 gig wall plate...
Since the cable is rg-6 and used for Primestar( I did those!!!) it is unlikely the cable itself is the issue.....Anything is possible though.....The tech should run a temp line to eliminate the cable as a suspected cause of the issue...Hpefully the tech that sercies your system this time will have his sh*t wired tight and has the work ethic to get the job done...

you missunderstand. the flat cale is used to feed tv2, it isn't in the line going from dish to reciever.

I hope you're correct. I know that Dish is following this job since I wrote to the ceo and got a call. It's now 9:40 and i'm wating. He's supposed to be here no latter than noon.

Ron

service call rescheduled

Well it's now 4pm and after calling Dish any number of times to find out why my service tech hadn't shown I was told that they'd have to reschedule my appointment for this Monday the 20th, President's day. Thankfully i'm off so I don't have to wait for the following Saturday. I'm not about to take off from work for this. They Dish tried contacting the contractor with no luck. atleast that is what they told me.

This is even after having soemone calling me from the ceo's office telling me all would be taken care of personally. Well i just wrote another letter telling them what happened. The problem seems simple enough to fix based upon everyones posting. Now all I need is for someone to come out and do it.

I'm sure they'd have been here had it been a new install not a trouble call that hasn't been resolved on previous tries.

Ron

ronfelder said:
That would be a bad stupid for me. I wouldn't be able to use the s-video or optical out if i did it your way. tv 1 isn't even stereo. Plus picture is much better with the s-video. That is hwy the receiver has to be next to tv 1.

Ron

Actually, TV1 is in stereo. TV2 is the one that isn't :)

I did some D* conversions and service calls for P* years ago, what a mess! My sister even had it. I soon installed D* for her, and she had it for years without trouble.

However, she just decided to switch to E*. The installer ripped out one of her phone lines; now only the one to the receiver works. He didn't even have a flashlight! He never came back, either. The P* installer did the same thing, ironically. I fixed it then, but I've moved away, so now I can't fix it. :(

Last edited:
webbydude said:
Actually, TV1 is in stereo. TV2 is the one that isn't :)

Sorry to differ with you,but you're wrong. I'm correct. Plus with the optical cable i'll receive dolby digital.

Received a call from Dish after writing to the CEO, well they're sendign someone out tomorrow Sunday the 19th.

Ron

ChrisPC said:
I did some D* conversions and service calls for P* years ago, what a mess! My sister even had it. I soon installed D* for her, and she had it for years without trouble.

However, she just decided to switch to E*. The installer ripped out one of her phone lines; now only the one to the receiver works. He didn't even have a flashlight! He never came back, either. The P* installer did the same thing, ironically. I fixed it then, but I've moved away, so now I can't fix it. :(

I'm happy with the product from E*, just haven't been happy with the support.

Ron

Dish themselves arrrived at 9am

Well I was awakened this morning with a Dishnetwork tech at my door. No sub contractor but an honest to goodness employee of Dish.

He has told me that my cabling is ok. That if it was the cabling it wouldn't work on either tv. That as long as it's rg-6 it'll work. That the spec isn't as important as they say it is.

The problem is now fixed. It turns out on the channels that I was having problems with either it had a signal strength of just 45 or one had no signal. He replaced as cautionary the lnb and found a bad barrel connector. Everything now works fine on both receivers.

BTW it was SR communications of New Jersey who wouldn't fix the problem three weeks ago.

I am going to write a thank you note to ceo@echostar.com thanking them for the quick reply this morning and fixing the problem.

Ron

Last edited:
He has told me that my cabling is ok. That if it was the cabling it wouldn't work on either tv. That as long as it's rg-6 it'll work. That the spec isn't as important as they say it is.
Depends on the distance from dish to receiver. A short (20') run can be done using almost anything (not that I would). I would NEVER use standard RG-6 with DishPro gear on anything over 50'.

"CATV" markings means it's tested to around 900MHz.

Someone earlier mentioned red inserts on connectors means 3GHz - untrue. I looked this up the other day and found some "red" that was only rated to 1GHz.

I have NEVER seen any trace of blue being less than 2GHz, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts