Bad SWM SL5?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TheTechGuru

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Texas
So I ordered a used SWM SL5 off of ebay to replace my SWM SL3 so I can get my missing 119 channels.

I have two receivers and three TV's. One of the receivers has a RF modulator on it inserting a feed of it's output onto the SWM line on channel 3 for the 3rd TV.

Upon installing it the TV using the analog channel 3 modulated into the SWM line gets fuzzy and 119 channels cut in and out.

Is this a defective LNBF? I would think there would be no difference between how a SWM SL3 and a SWM SL5 does business on the coax. Both are 8 channels + data channel correct?

Also, what is the difference between blue sticker SWM and green sticker SWM?

With what specifically are you inserting the ch. 3 analog signal onto the SWiM coax line?

You should be using something like NAS 9501 OTA/SWM diplexers to try this.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

With what specifically are you inserting the ch. 3 analog signal onto the SWiM coax line?

You should be using something like NAS 9501 OTA/SWM diplexers to try this.

Regular SWM 2-way splitter. Been working fine with SWM SL3.

While you might have gotten away with it before, you should be using proper diplexers for this. Not splitters. ...
https://www.solidsignal.com/m/produ...LbXXMMe4m9Tp2TFdcx-vCQIizYOOZNrtxcRoClITw_wcB

I'm also assuming there are no MoCA whole home networking signals from a receiver present on the SWiM line.

I have a channelmaster and maybe a holland diplexer I could use but I don't understand why it would make a difference. Also it would still be going though the main 4 way SWM splitter at the dish.

Here is how it is currently set up.

uuaur.jpg

Last edited:
Ive done this a few times with whole home, when i couldnt use a diplexer, stacking the backfeed on the sat in line, there was a little pic degradation on the backfeed. I dont know why the swm 5 would cause an issue. Keep in mind the system isnt designed to work like this. Since you dont have a whole home i would diplex the backfeed instead of attempting to stack it

Ive done this a few times with whole home, when i couldnt use a diplexer, stacking the backfeed on the sat in line, there was a little pic degradation on the backfeed. I dont know why the swm 5 would cause an issue. Keep in mind the system isnt designed to work like this. Since you dont have a whole home i would diplex the backfeed instead of attempting to stack it

So I should do this?

22epap.jpg

Should I move the power inserted to my H24 for simplicity?

I don't understand how this would fix my problem though as the SWM on SL5 is not supposed to be any different than a SL3.

So I should do this?

22epap.jpg

Should I move the power inserted to my H24 for simplicity?

I don't understand how this would fix my problem though as the SWM on SL5 is not supposed to be any different than a SL3.
Exactly, i would move the pi, but not necessary

I think they eliminated any support for diplexing OTA when they launched MRV, as it overlays into the OTA bandwidth.
That was when they started using green label equipment. Blue label is the same as green, it is old white label that wasn't compatible with MRV.

Channel 3 is pretty low on the spectrum so it may work, but certainly would not be supported by DirecTV.

I think they eliminated any support for diplexing OTA when they launched MRV, as it overlays into the OTA bandwidth.
That was when they started using green label equipment. Blue label is the same as green, it is old white label that wasn't compatible with MRV.

Channel 3 is pretty low on the spectrum so it may work, but certainly would not be supported by DirecTV.

Ya, it's been working for me for years with multiple different SWM SL3's, it never became a problem until I tried installing a SWM SL5. Makes no sense since the SWM side should be identical.

Just found these in my collection:

3504ao2.jpg

Will do this:

a4q734.jpg

But as I said before I don't understand how this will fix my problem because the SWM side function on a SWM SL5 is not supposed to be any different than on a SWM SL3.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)