Bait and switch?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jackal24

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Cincinnati
OK. Try this:

Using a browser that has "icognito" or "private browsing" mode (just to ensure that there are no previous cookies or anything), go to directv's website. Then go to packages>english. When the window first pops up, it lists "choice extra" as $34.99/mo (first 12 mos.) with the text below saying "save $31/mo."
When I put in my zip code (in ohio) it comes back and it now lists it as $39.99/mo, "save $26/mo".

Whats up with this?

If I had to guess I'd say a bug in the calculation done by the website. The prices are right, the saving is off by a buck.

Directv offers different deals in different areas of the country.

If you notice, I put a question mark after the topic.

bait-and-switch
Noun: The action (generally illegal) of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods: "a bait-and-switch scheme". More »
Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

Not knowing that this additional charge is for locals (which I did not at the time), changing the price midway through the ordering process would easily fit the definition.

So to answer your question, yes, I do know what it means.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I don't think it's locals. Did you see my post? It's probably different offers in different areas.

If you look at the rundowns of what is included in each package, it does not list locals with the lower price. But when you put in the zip code and the price goes higher, the locals are listed.

If you look at the rundowns of what is included in each package, it does not list locals with the lower price. But when you put in the zip code and the price goes higher, the locals are listed.

Exactly why I was saying this is NOT bait & switch, and wonder if the OP know what he was really looking at and why. Why jump directly to the question or presumption of bait & switch? Why not ask is someone can simply explain why you are seeing to listed prices?

It was a legitimate concern, no need to beat him up over it. Had I not been paying close attention to the listing when I ordered I might've asked the same question, because it does show one price at first, then a higher price once you start your order. But it IS a bitchin deal right now, with 3 free months of all the premiums (just got to remember to cancel what you don't want) ($135), free Showtime for a year ($180), free s/h of your equipment ($20), and free Sunday ticket (again just remember to cancel it if you dont want to pay for it next year) ($340).

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts