Bally Sports RSNs Are Reportedly Preparing For Bankruptcy

That, of course, is not how bankruptcy works. Chapter 11 ends up transferring debt into equity. Thus Sinclair (awful, anti-consumer, company) loses all or most of its ownership and the creditors get it, and there you go.

But if in deed, no solution to the RSN issue is found, remember two things:

- Out-of-market packages are just showing games, fully paid for, to other places. Without the RSNs, these games don't get produced in the first place. Baseball in a few years is going to look a lot like baseball in 1975. A handful of games per week on national channels, until the anti-consumer wave of de-bundling kills those channel as well.

- This is just the first of thousands of types of programming that is simply going away. A la carte is anti-consumer. Because no one thing is every going to be popular enough (save the NFL) to justify its production in the anti-consumer a la carte world, it just goes away. TV is becoming the "vast wasteland" that the know-nothings claimed it was back 30 years ago. Wads and wads of reruns. Very little original content, sports or otherwise. As you decide between paying for the 5783rd rerun of Bonanza or the 8954th rerun of I Dream of Jeanie, remember you saved almost $9/month back 10 years ago. You sure showed them.
I think, in MLB instances, that MLB will take over the broadcast of thier games, where they will show to the locals as well as an extra inning package ... it will just go thru MLB instead of the RSN .

When you watch an Extra innings game, is it produced by the RSN and then given to the Extra innings package or is it produced by the club and given to the RSN ?

What I'm getting at is I can watch the Astros (Out of market via EI) on the EI channels or I can tune to the RSN channels on Directv and see the same broadcast ...
Last year (and previous) the Astros RSN was ATT Sports South I believe.

So, is it being sent to the RSN or to the EI package ....
Where is coming from ?

MLB is making plans-

Now MLB has been in talks with multiple cable networks and YouTube to find ways to air MLB games in the market both on a traditional cable TV provider and streaming online, according to a report from the Sports Business Journal.

It seems that MLB is hoping that instead of offering free streaming through MLB.TV app they will be able to get some cash from Google’s YouTube by selling streaming rights to YouTube.

Reactions: meStevo
So, now, we are 2 days away from the Start of the Season ...
Will I be able to watch my team on D*'s Extra Innings ?
That is RSN based ....
Normally, I can watch it on the EI Channel number Or the RSN number, its the same feed.

This story here makes it seem impossible for the Bally RSNs ( or any others) to stay in business-

A Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal report, citing research from S&P Global Market Intelligence, indicates Bally Sports North lost well over half of its subscriber base in the last decade.

Per the report, there were 2.9 million subscribers to the regional sports network in 2013 (branded Fox Sports North at the time) compared with just 1.2 million subscribers to Bally Sports North now. That includes a staggering 1.4 million subscribers lost in just the last five years alone. Other markets saw large decreases in subscribers as well.

That is more then a 50% drop in subscribers, roughly what the math shows ( 100 Million Households subscribed to Live Pay TV in 2015, now 68-70 million in 2023 , then 20 Million subscribe to Providers that do not carry the RSNs, roughly 8-10 million have packages that do not have the RSNs, like Entertainment with DirecTV).

So that leaves, roughly, 40 Million Households in the United States that pays the per sub fee, even if Diamond survives Chapter 11, what happens in two years when the expected 12-15 million leaves Live Pay TV, that means only 25 million are left to pay RSN’s per sub fees, they will be right back in Bankruptcy Courts then.

Reactions: Bobby

article said:
According to fiercevideo.com, Diamond’s lawyers offered to make payments to the Guardians and Twins and put them in escrow. The teams rejected that idea.
I'd support that plan if it meant that Diamond Sports was allowed to record and produce the Guardian games, but couldn't show them.

What Sinclair is trying to do is laughably silly.

Diamond is bankrupt. It is, as most bankrupts are, operated as a "debtor in possession", meaning it goes on as if nothing happened, more or less. Debtors in possession have to pay on-going expenses, its is just what they owed when they went bankrupt that is off-limits. It has a period of time to decide if it wants to affirm or renounce its business relationships into the future.

So Diamond wants to carry the teams, without paying for them for the year (or maybe longer). Make an analogy to a restaurant. It has a contract with a baker to provide pies to it. It goes bankrupt, but it wants the baker to still provide it the pies, for free, with the baker still on the hook for the flour, sugar, etc.

It doesn't work that way, and, eventually, Sinclair will lose.

The Reds, who are not a part of the bankruptcy (the channel is a joint venture and simply not bankrupt) have informed Diamond to vacate the building on Friday.

Looks like Diamond might have prevented this one domino from falling over.

View: https://twitter.com/TVKiese/status/1653423397290819585

Still just rearranging the deck chairs it seems.

Since they only had $500 million in cash left before they filed, the company is going to run out of money making all these rights payments before the bankruptcy is settled.

It is not just the teams they owe money to, they have about $8 Billion still owed to the banks for when they bought the RSNs.

Still have not heard of a business plan from Diamond/Sinclair on how they wil continue, specially because their revenue will continue to get less and less, since everyone leaving Traditional Providers ( looks to be 2 million this quarter) are the ones paying a per sub fee.

Then the MLB refuses to renegotiate the deals, I assume the NBA and NHL also refuse, what a disaster.

Bankruptcy doesn't work that way. Debt becomes equity. Post bankruptcy borrowing is not included.

Anyway, I would love to play poker with whoever is in charge at Sinclair. The guy bluffs and folds so easily. Did it with DISH, now he does it with the Reds. Talks a big game, but that is all.

That’s because there is a supply shortage out of China for chicken entrails.
IMG_0894.jpeg

Bankruptcy doesn't work that way. Debt becomes equity. Post bankruptcy borrowing is not included.
Who is talking about borrowing after bankruptcy, first, I really feel this is going to become a Chapter 7, too many things against Diamond/Sinclair, namely the leagues want out, all the signs show that.

Even if some miracles happen, MLB, NHL,NBA all agree to restructure the deals, it gets providers to pay more in per sub fees to offset the losses from those leaving paid Live TV, advertising gets a lot better, Dish Network, YTTV and Hulu Live all agree to carry the RSNs again and they all offer to pay the full per sub fee, all those who holds the $8 billion in debt agree to whatever Diamond/Sinclair’s plan is, who the **** would loan them money post Chapter 11 knowing they will be right back in a couple of years.

Cord Cutting is accelerating , 5.9 million last year, 4.7 million the year before, that means about 7-8 million this year, 9-10 million next year, so 16-18 million more in per sub fees gone in just two years, then back to bankruptcy they go, since nationwide, only about 25 million out of 130 Million Households will get the RSNs in two years.
Anyway, I would love to play poker with whoever is in charge at Sinclair. The guy bluffs and folds so easily. Did it with DISH, now he does it with the Reds. Talks a big game, but that is all.
He knows he has no cards, too much data out there that shows he has a losing hand.

This is correct. It is voodoo economics.

Actually, Bally's plan is outlined in its court pleadings, as is required in any bankruptcy. Their plan, which won't work, is relatively straightforward.

- They will turn debt into equity, which is common in most all bankruptcies. This means that the new owners will be whoever was dumb enough to loan Sinclair money, for the most part.

- They want to renegotiate the deals with the teams (most of which run into the next decade) way down. Perhaps dropping some teams altogether.

- They want to have stand alone streaming rights (which they have now for a minority of teams) which they will sell to all these people who supposedly want to see the team.

The hole in this is, well, obvious. The people that left a provider with their local RSN did so for some combination of being cheap; not liking sports (or at least not liking MLB, NHL or NBA) which, BTW is the vast majority of people; and/or not liking their local teams for some reason or another. The people that want their local RSN, already have it. As do a lot of people who have stayed with their current provider for other reasons. In an a la carte world the number of potential subscribers is very small, and thus the price would be very high, so high that it approaches unaffordability for common people.

MLB's alternative plan, also outlined in its court pleadings, is not fully formed, or at least they won't tell us if they have worked out the obvious problem with it. They want mlb.tv/MLBEI with "no blackouts".

The problem here is that currently this package sells things that are not that valuable. Most people who follow baseball closely, at least closely enough to be potential customers for this considering how much "free" baseball there is on national channels, are fans of their local team.

Since we are on the Reds, I will use them as an example. The number of people that care about the Reds in Maine, or Louisiana, or Washington, or Saskatchewan is very tiny. Thus these (the costs of production having already been fully covered by the RSN) low value games can be tossed in with other low value material in the package, which is sold for a pittance (or given away by T-Mobile). However the number of people that care about the Reds in southern Ohio, most of Kentucky, southern Indiana, and even parts of Tennessee and West Virginia is, well, most people who care about baseball. Thus the games are very valuable. That is why they don't sell them in the cheap mlb.tv/MLBEI package.

Now the problem here is, again, obvious. How do they split the money? Do, say the Reds and Tigers and Royals, get the same as the Dodgers, Mets, and Braves? I'm pretty certain, the owners not only have not agreed on this, but are incapable of doing so.

In any event a "no blackouts" mlb.tv raises the price, again to the level of unaffordability, (MSG, which doesn't even have baseball, wants $30/month) for the average person. And, again, will yield FAR less money than the current system

Thus neither plan will work. What will work is simply that, for most teams, it will be what it was before there was an RSN. Maybe a game on local TV OTA, maybe once a week or so. Listen to the radio the rest of the time (and no local RSN production, no game to show out of market on mlb.tv in the first place).

Just the first of lots of original programming that will go away in the new era. The consumer is unprotected outside of the bundle.

Who won the "streaming wars"? Don't know yet. But we know who lost. The consumer.

This is correct. It is voodoo economics.

Actually, Bally's plan is outlined in its court pleadings, as is required in any bankruptcy. Their plan, which won't work, is relatively straightforward.

- They will turn debt into equity, which is common in most all bankruptcies. This means that the new owners will be whoever was dumb enough to loan Sinclair money, for the most part.

- They want to renegotiate the deals with the teams (most of which run into the next decade) way down. Perhaps dropping some teams altogether.

- They want to have stand alone streaming rights (which they have now for a minority of teams) which they will sell to all these people who supposedly want to see the team.

The hole in this is, well, obvious. The people that left a provider with their local RSN did so for some combination of being cheap; not liking sports (or at least not liking MLB, NHL or NBA) which, BTW is the vast majority of people; and/or not liking their local teams for some reason or another. The people that want their local RSN, already have it. As do a lot of people who have stayed with their current provider for other reasons. In an a la carte world the number of potential subscribers is very small, and thus the price would be very high, so high that it approaches unaffordability for common people.
There is another hole in this you are not bringing up, the Bankruptcy Count cannot make MLB/NHL/NBA agree to a new deal and the Court cannot make teams/Leagues just give Diamond/Sinclair streaming rights.

Meanwhile, Ergen's ears perk up when he hears about debt... I can totally see Ergen walking away with the RSNs as everyone is just left with mouths gaping open. :D