Band C with small dish ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tacafta

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
PR
I see on Lyngsat the 40.5 W sat. said band Hemi (I dont know what meams but...) then I look the map and my area have a dish size that fit my one (at 47 inches). If that possible ? What type of LNB is that one "Hemi"?

I see on Lyngsat the 40.5 W sat. said band Hemi (I dont know what meams but...) then I look the map and my area have a dish size that fit my one (at 47 inches). If that possible ? What type of LNB is that one "Hemi"?

Hemi is short for hemisphere, it appears the dBW is roughly 40 and the EIRP chart on the side that you are using to reference the dish size is roughly 47 inches or 120 cm. And that is the minimum dish size required to start picking up the broasdcast and view without pixelation on your TV screen. All the (hemi) listed transponders are on C-band, the ones listed as Spot 1 are on KU band broadcast. C-band broadcast on this satellite start at a frequency of 3.49 ghz and range to 4.189 ghz. You need an LNB capable of receiving C-band digital broadcasts, I did not notice any anolog broadcasts on this satellite.

take any Lyngsat map on dish size with a grain of salt...some of those maps say I can get C-Band with a 76cm dish and a KU with a 24" dish....when in fact those C-band feeds I can barely get with a 6 footer ;)

(according to Lyngsat I should be able to get G10 with a 50-60cm dish...yah sure ;) )

Iceberg,

I hear what you are saying about lyngsat, however I did do a great deal of research and experimentaion with the dish size and found it to be very acurate what is listed on lyngsat as far as dish size and C-band. However I had to fabricate my own offset scalar to make this work. I can get C-band on a 30 inch dish for the hottest satellites. I know it sounds crazy but I have the prove. I need to start a new thread and post all the information for everyone here, including all the photos I have. And I have a lot of documentation for this project.

The minimum offset dish required to get 12 of the cband satellites would be 1 meter offset but a 1.2 meter dish works much better. So for those thinking of using the EIRP chart listed at Lygnsat for recomended dish size it is acurate, however unless you can fabricate a special scalar for your LNB you will never be able to get these broadcast on anything other than a BUD (big ugly dish) 6 to 10 footer.

I take part of this statement back, I was getting a few channels Cband off of 55W on my 31 inch winegard, using the BSC621-2 LNB without any scalar attached. Most be one hot bird for me.

Using a 1 meter offset dish I was pulling in C-band on sats 55, 59, 72, 89, 91, 95, 99, 121, 123, 125, 127, 138W if I recall corectly, roughly 300 TV channels and many radio. All the in the clear channels came in with no pixelation but some were of very low signal quality.

So as far as using a 47 inch dish is concerned for 40.5W, unless he can fabricate his own precise offset scalar I doubt it will work. There is a comercially made offset scalar that is very difficult to procure, I purchased one from brotherhood and it works well. My home made version of the scalar works better, but it focuses the beam so intensly that it is better used on a fixed point dish.

Getting a little off subject, so to keep on track of this thread, for most of those relating to Cband; purchase the right equipment and buy the big dish, 6 to 10 footer.

I can get C-band on a 30 inch dish for the hottest satellites. I know it sounds crazy but I have the prove.

its been done here numerous times (including by me) so its not crazy. But a 30" dish or Primestar dish is not practical to get what is up there on C-band. Sure its fine for an experiment but you need a 6 foot dish (at least) to enjoy what is up there on C-band

Even a 6 footer is undersized for C-Band (not 2 degree compliant), but it will get most of what is up there. I'm putting up a 7.5 footer soon for NASA. Anything under 1 meter is technically undersized for Ku-Band (although, as we all know, a 30" will get you most of the Ku up there)...

I hope everyone understood what I was trying to say. And to make the point more clear, yes you can get bleed over from one sat to to the next using the offset dish. To cover problems of beamwidth and low signal power and really experience C-band the way it was meant to, a 6 foot prime focus dish is what I would call a starter dish. A quality 8 to 10 foot prime focus would truly be the way to go.

The only point I was trying to make is for the hot transonders broadcasting DVB an offset dish of the size recomended at lyngsat is acurate. But even then you need a special offset scalar ring to make anything work for C-band. Some of the new C-band sats are really crancking out the power, what is up with that?

I'm using the Coolsat DVB receiver, and a 1 meter offset dish for Galaxy 23 C-band recption of the Sto SD, Sportsmans and Soundtrack channels. I haven't anything to complain about using this setup, what works, works. The signal quality levels of these channels are 85% with a 3/4 FEC, hottest channel I believe was TVW with a 7/8 FEC and had a quality level of 87%. Now will this hold up during a heavy rain storm, I think so?

off-topic for this thread

Walrus, why don't you start your own thread and talk about your small dish C-band exploits.?.
A lot of us have found the discussion enjoyable in the past, and your experiences would add to our knowledge.

Just understand that we've recently had this discussion, so it's not entirely new territory.
Here are some threads for background. It's worth scrolling through them and looking at the pictures.

Offset Scalar performance comparison:
Communication Satellite

Satcom1 on C-band with 84e dish
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...9-primestar-84e-bsc621-2-lnbf-experiment.html

Linuxman on C-band with 1m round Primestar
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...-one-meter-primestar-mini-bud-experiment.html

Walrus, why don't you start your own thread and talk about your small dish C-band exploits.?.
A lot of us have found the discussion enjoyable in the past, and your experiences would add to our knowledge.

Just understand that we've recently had this discussion, so it's not entirely new territory.
Here are some threads for background. It's worth scrolling through them and looking at the pictures.

Offset Scalar performance comparison:
Communication Satellite

Satcom1 on C-band with 84e dish
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...9-primestar-84e-bsc621-2-lnbf-experiment.html

Linuxman on C-band with 1m round Primestar
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...-one-meter-primestar-mini-bud-experiment.html

Anole, I may just do that in the near future. It was a fun experiment, and believe me I know it has been discussed here in the past. Where did you think I got the inspiration to undergo this project.

My reason for responding to this thread was to inform tacafta that it is possible to use that size of dish and possibly get some of the C-band broadcasts, but to go a little further and explain it isn't easy and he would have to select the proper LNB and either purchase an offset scalar, and that isn't easy to get or fabricate one himself.

So to direcetly answer YOUR suggestion, then yes, in the near future I will start a new thread covering this topic and I will provide the design specifications for my offset scalar so anyone can fabricate their own. Brotherhood has asked me to do the same.

Maybe I will just start a thread and provide the design specifications with photos and material list for the offset scalar, and a step by step instruction of how to fabricate it. Anyone can fabricated this scalar in 3 minutes time at a cost of $5. The offset scalar specs I have are specifically designed to function with the BSC621-1 or -2 LNB.

Now the only question for you is, where would be the best place to post this information? Maybe add to the existing threads covering this topic?

tacafta , I bet your eyes opened up real wide when you saw all the good channels available on NSS806 @ 40.5 .

Using the EIRP of 40.5 (coincidentally) for Puerto Rico means that you would need a 1-1.2 meter dish (or roughly 47 inches)according to the chart ,as others have noted for C-band reception 6 feet is the minimum dish size for good results.

Another thing that is very important about reception of NSS 806 that no one mentioned is the fact that it is a Circular Polarity C-band Satellite which would require your C-band LNB to have a Dielectric Plate inserted in order to watch either the Left or Right polarities unless you buy a high end Co-Rotor II+ (Wideband) which I understand allows you to watch both Left and Right Polarities without re-inserting the dialectric plate or making other time consuming adjustments.

NSS 806 is an excellent Satellite for Latin American programming , because of circular polarity you will need a LNB that has been adapted with a dialectric plate , I definitely believe that NSS 806 is a very good candidate for a Fixed C-band dish and if you're trying to keep cost down you can use a basic C-band LNB with the included teflon (dialectric) tabs that are inserted for either right or left polarities but would have to be constantly changed depending on which polarity the channels you want to watch are on.

Yes I repeat myself alot .............. sorry:eek:
I do know how exciting the channel lineup looks on 40.5 west.

Jayelem,

I was using the BSC621-2 LNB, I think this would work for him as well, it has the dielectric plate that can be installed for the circular broadcasts.

But he still has an obstical to overcome, and that is he will need a specially designed offset scalar to go with it. Either he fabricates his own, or purchases one comercially made. I had a hell of a time getting a prefabed scalar and started out with my own version.

hold on a second......you have to rotate the dialectric plate for each polarity???

I thought it was just one insertion for both?

Scottc98,

Is this true, you have to rotate the plate 90 degrees for opposite polarity? Are you sure of this? I haven't tested that to the fullest, but assumed that once the plate was installed it worked for both L and R. I will have to research my photos and channel lists to see just what I scanned in, I actually believe I have a single channel file for this bird just playing around with it, and believe this was the only cband sat that I did put the plate in for testing???? You have me thinking here on this one.

I think your right! I forgot I do have a channel list for this sat but only scanned in a handfull of channels so didn't bother with it, they are of the same polarity. Maybe if I had flipped the plate 90 degrees I would have picked up more channels? If this is true, that really sucks, who wants to go out to the lnb and flip the plate around to get the opposite polarity. Can you confirm this?

Scottc98,

I now believe you are totally correct. I went back through some of my testing notes. I came up with this; "tested 40.5W NSS 806 with the BSC621-2 with the 1 meter dish becuase it was a circular Cband broadcast and had an EIRP of roughly 40 dBW according to lynsat, got a handfull of V polarized channels to scan in (thats the way the Coolsat logs the polarity) but not able to view the scanned channels, flipped the dielectric plate 90 degrees and rescanned, this time no channels scanned in." That is also the reason I never went back to retest this bird, just to weak at my location to get with a 1 meter offset dish. Looks like the few channels I did log were a 7/8 FEC.

Was looking for a reference to left and right circular polarity and I found the answer from a member @ Sadoun's Forum who experimented with the cheapie BSC LNB and the dielectric plate , he said he had problems getting both polarities at same time untill he skewed his LNB to zero.

A dedicated dish for the circular polarities is still the way to go unless you want to pull the teflon tab out everytime you switch to a linear sat.

Was looking for a reference to left and right circular polarity and I found the answer from a member @ Sadoun's Forum who experimented with the cheapie BSC LNB and the dielectric plate , he said he had problems getting both polarities at same time untill he skewed his LNB to zero.

A dedicated dish for the circular polarities is still the way to go unless you want to pull the teflon tab out everytime you switch to a linear sat.

Thank you for the information. I will have to check this out later in the spring when the weather warms up. That might explain why I was having difficulties on this bird. I should have had better results.

Status
Please reply by conversation.