Banner Ads?

Mr Ranger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Thinking about going back to Dish after 2 years with Comcast. What are the banner ads everyone is mentioning? Can someone take a screenshot and post so I can see? Is there a DVR that doesn't have the ads? I cannot imagine paying a $100 a month for service and then have to deal with ads!

The banner ads are on the bottom of the guide, and although stupid, they really are not in the way or to annoying. I forget they are there, tbh, as it is literally a small banner on the very bottom of the guide.

Reactions: Mr Ranger
With some receivers, you can select not to have the banner. I know that I can do that with my HWS. Not sure about the other receivers.

Yup; I do that on my VIP DVRs as well. The ads takes up valuable screen real estate, so it's doubly annoying.

You can set the banner to "Show All" or to "Show Tips and Tricks only". It can not be disabled. It occupies about 1/10 of the screen vertically.

IMG_1199.JPG

Yeah it's something they should let you turn off though for sure but like many have pointed out you get use to it..

You can set the banner to "Show All" or to "Show Tips and Tricks only". It can not be disabled. It occupies about 1/10 of the screen vertically.

View attachment 115106

Thank you all and thanks Ziptied for the screenshot.

I have not liked the Comcast X1 at all. The only good thing it has going for it, is the ability to interact with an online guide, which is far superior to the little-bitty on screen guide that the H3 has. To then crowd the guide with an ad is an insult.

No worse than TiVo's. While I easily ignore them, I confess to BRIEFLY take notice in case it is a movie I MIGHT be willing to pay for, otherwise, my brain registers each design of each ad and automatically IGNORES the same ones :)

Unfortunately, it seems everyone is going this route. DirecTV has banner ads as does TiVo and most of the cable cos. too. It's is the one sure way they can get access to us.

I'm behind often on shows and I really enjoy the autohop which removes ads from programing by fast forwarding for me. Make sure to negotiate for the best receiver (hopper 3) a gift card and free box when you sign up and no activation fees. Just by asking I saved 300$

I'm behind often on shows and I really enjoy the autohop which removes ads from programing by fast forwarding for me. Make sure to negotiate for the best receiver (hopper 3) a gift card and free box when you sign up and no activation fees. Just by asking I saved 300$

Thanks for the pointers. What do you mean by "free box"?