Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
With the Baseball season winding down, there are some divisions that have been locked but there others that are not. The Wild Card races are quite an excitement because the second place teams are not too far behind.

Locked their divisions:

AL East: NY Yankees
AL West: Oakland

NL East: Atlanta
NL West: San Francisco

Still up for grab:

AL Central: a three race team with Minessota and Chicago Sox tied for first place and KC only 3.5 games behind them.

NL Central: A three race team with Houston leading the pack behind Chicago and St. Louis.

Wild Wild Card:

AL: Boston or Seattle
NL: Florida, Philadelphia, LA & Chicago Cubs

Without looking at next 17 games and see who got the best match ups, I am speculating that Chicago sox will win the AL Central despite their rough schedule for the next 17 games. They are a very dangerous team that will out hit anybody. They will surprise a few in the playoffs.

In the NL Central I will go with the Cubs. I think that they have one last pushed to win the division.

NL WC: This is a tough one. I do not know if the Marlins believe that they can win it yet. But I know Bowa will do anything for Philadelphia to grab it back. I will go with Philadelphia. The Marlins have disappointed me too many times in the past few years.

AL WC: boy, this another tough one. Boston or Seattle. I'll go with Boston. They are hungry and have been hungry for decades. They will make their final run to the Yankees but will not be able to catch them. They will end up with the WC and will be a dangerous team in the playoffs.

Yeah, I'd say it's early to call the AL West for Oakland, when the A's and Mariners have 6 head-to-head games remaining, and just 2.5 games currently between them in the standings. The M's have been scuffling, but the A's had some trouble with the Rays and Orioles last week, too. Stay tuned. A lot could still happen.

It looks like the Minnesota Twins pulled a Magic trick out of the hat and will win the AL Central. Contrary to my speculation the White Sox are done; they went from being a very hot (dangerous) team to a very cold team. This only mean that Manuel's (manager) head will roll this off season. The fans had been asking for it all season long.

Only races remaining are the NL Central and NL Wild Card. It could get very interested since there are 5 teams (Astros, Cubs, Philies, Dodgers, & Marlins) fighting for two spots. The two teams that probably will not make it and are out of it are Chicago and LA. That leaves 3 teams fighting for two spots.

The A.L. Divisional Play Off probably looks like this.

Yanks vs Twins
Red Sox vs As

The N.L Divisional Play off:

????????

The Yankees do have more talent than the Twins, but it's also true that they stomped the Twins way back in April when NY looked unbeatable against everybody, and the Twins were flat coming out of the gate and really were a very different team.

The Twins are hitting their stride right now, and if they can get their pitching set up just so, all they need to do is play sharp baseball and sneak 3 wins out of 5.... They may be underdogs, but the odds are not impossible.

The NL central just added another twist yesterday. The Astros and Cubs are tied for the division. In case of a tie who will win the division? who want the season series between these two teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.