Baseball’s postseason will air mostly on cable starting in 2014

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/baseball-postseason- air-mostly-cable-starting-2014-234618123--mlb.html

The winners: Non-baseball watchers, the people who love "Bones" and "The New Girl" and the rest. They get perturbed because Fox pretty much stops airing new episodes in October, turning over its network to baseball. Now more Zooey Deschanel for everyone!

The losers: Baseball fans who either (1) don't have cable or (2) think baseball deserves network TV time because it's America's pastime. Being a pastime doesn't guarantee ratings, though, as recent history has proved. Last year's NLCS Game 7, for example, was beat in the ratings by both "The Voice" and "Dancing With the Stars" (aka shows that are on every week for a good chunk of the year).

I agree that it not being on Network is a Bad thing, but Most have a Cable/Sat package that gets the main channels anyways.

What annoys me is when they decide to put games on the obscure channels that many Don't get, such as they did a few years back with ABC Family or worse, like when they (no particular network here) put a series on MSNBC, oddball channels that have NEVER been used for a Sports event till then.

I agree that it not being on Network is a Bad thing, but Most have a Cable/Sat package that gets the main channels anyways.

What annoys me is when they decide to put games on the obscure channels that many Don't get, such as they did a few years back with ABC Family or worse, like when they (no particular network here) put a series on MSNBC, oddball channels that have NEVER been used for a Sports event till then.

Jimbo, we must have ESP because I agree with you again. I dont mind them on cable but Jimbo, like you said, dont put them on obscure channels. I'm still confused as to how and why the playoffs aired on ABC Family, which I think was FOX Family at the time?

Jimbo, we must have ESP because I agree with you again. I dont mind them on cable but Jimbo, like you said, dont put them on obscure channels. I'm still confused as to how and why the playoffs aired on ABC Family, which I think was FOX Family at the time?

I still have trouble finding the Turner channels that they are on ... That said, I give Turner credit, because they will start the coverage on a different affiliated channel till the original one is finished, so you can see your game in it's entirety.

The main problem is they have done away with afternoon games and the evening games start too late. Heck 5pm is late enough on the west coast. 8Pm is definitely too late for most kids to watch on the east coast.

I bet if they were to move the evening games up 1 hour and throw in at least one afternoon game for each series, the ratings will increase at least a little.

Many of the NHL and NBA playoff games are on cable. The only sports that had their playoffs exclusively on network channels for the longest times were NFL and MLB. MLB moved some playoff games to cable when they expanded to add the divisional series and added one of the LCS's to cable just during the last couple of years. The NFL is the only sport that still has all playoff games on network channels, but they only play 1 to 2 times per week and they play most of the games during the day.

The main problem is they have done away with afternoon games and the evening games start too late. Heck 5pm is late enough on the west coast. 8Pm is definitely too late for most kids to watch on the east coast.

I bet if they were to move the evening games up 1 hour and throw in at least one afternoon game for each series, the ratings will increase at least a little.

I don't see them going back to afternoon games, but they could start the late game at 7 instead of 8 or later.
I'm talking 1st pitch at 7:10, not this half an hour of musicians and other distractions, thats another thing that has annoyed me about these sporting events.
If they are gonna have them, have them BEFORE the game starts time wise ... this happens mostly with the NFL games .
Game is listed to come on TV at 8 pm, but game never starts till after the Musical Act is done and commercials are met making it 8:30 or later.

I don't know if it would increase the ratings, but it would change the demographics to a younger age bracket. I think that's more important, but then again, I don't own the rights to the games!

Yes, the starting time is the problem, not being on the Networks isn't a big deal, it isn't for most games all season.

Yes, the starting time is the problem, not being on the Networks isn't a big deal, it isn't for most games all season.

Your games during the year are on your respective RSN.

Fans know where to find thier games that way, during the playoffs your team could be on ESPN one day and ABC Family the next and one of the Turner channels the next.

Actually, Turner doesnt start there games that late. I mean there late game starts at 9:37, I think. I remember when the Mets/D-Backs played in 1999, I think one of there games started at 11pm.

Actually, Turner doesnt start there games that late. I mean there late game starts at 9:37, I think. I remember when the Mets/D-Backs played in 1999, I think one of there games started at 11pm.

9:30 est to start a Playoff game is WAY too late.
8pm should be the latest ...

Yes, they did have a game start at 11, also a few at 10:30 iirc.

Absolutely the main problem is the start time of the game. I can only watch about half the game because I have to get up so early.

Thus the East vs West viewing problems.

I would rather be able to see the last 3/4 of the game than the first 3/4.

Sure, especially since if you have a dvr, you can go back and watch from the beginning and catch up during the commercials.

Sure, especially since if you have a dvr, you can go back and watch from the beginning and catch up during the commercials.

How you going to catch up if you go to sleep after the first half of the game is over? I don't want to watch it the next day. By the time I have time to watch it, the next game is already on.

How you going to catch up if you go to sleep after the first half of the game is over? I don't want to watch it the next day. By the time I have time to watch it, the next game is already on.
His point was if the game started earlier you will be able to watch the whole game. If it started earlier before you got off work, you can always record it and watch the beginning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts