basic cable 9.95 for one year

The Insider

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
The Swamp
Bhn orlando has a promotion goin for basic cable only 9,95 for 12months perfect if you currently get channels via ota or a sat company who needs locals

Well, it is good deal if you live in apartments or places that you don't get a good TV signal or they won't let you to install OTA. Today, you are able to get the most of your digital local channels(2,6,9,18,24,27,35,43,45,52,55,56,65 plus the high def channels) with a good OTA for less than $100. I got it for my all four TV's three years ago. :p

As the cost of cable and sat has skyrocketed, I think you are going to see more and more people moving back to OTA ("back" applies if you are over, what 40? 50?).

Over here on the coast, though, I don't think you can get anywhere near that many channels, but I don't know.

What bugs me is that we get 1080p HDTVs, then have to feed them with reduced quality, compressed video coming out of the cable.

OK guys. The point is that the TVs are capable of displaying greater clarity than the cable is giving them due to the compression.

The cable, the OTA, the network, etc....

Don't understand your point.

When I said "cable", I meant "the signal that comes out of the wire at your house." I guess that includes both what BHN does to the data before/as it is injected onto the cable system and whatever its plant does to the injected signal between headend and the house. Of course, they cannot increase the technical quality of their source material, but they can and do degrade it.

Not pertinent here, but that last statement is not exactly correct. DSP can be done to video to "improve" it in some circumstances.

what we are saying is there are no 1080p broadcasts that are are missing. the source bhn gets is not 1080p for the majority of their programming. the same is true for dish direc etc. currently the only 1080p are a few select ondemand programs. makes no sense to free up the space for 1080p when there is next to no programming for it. maybe in the near future sure but right now its not the cables fault their is no 1080p programs or channels

also note bhns hd signals are sent at the best possible rate. they arrive dam near ota quality. ithey do not compress more then 2 hd channels per 6mhz slot which gives each channel over 20mbs of bandwidth

also note bhns hd signals are sent at the best possible rate. they arrive dam near ota quality. ithey do not compress more then 2 hd channels per 6mhz slot which gives each channel over 20mbs of bandwidth
That's good to hear. But you are still missing my point. Whatever the original source quality is (and you point out it is generally less than 1080p), it is degraded for delivery. Were it delivered to the house as originally procured, most HDTVs could display it at the original level. Or are you contending there is no degradation by compression?

The signal is degraded by compression but what I contend is BHN does not compress the HD channels. BHN puts no more then 2 HD channels per 6mhz slot and use QAM256 for its modulation (Giving it 38.8Mbps bandwidth). Which means each HD channel can use its full 19.2Mbps requirement. If BHN did like some other cable providers (putting 3-4HD Channels per 6mhz) Then of course they would need to compress the HD channels. However they do not do this. At least not in the Orlando Market.

Now this is perfect for 720p or 1080i For 1080p you could only get 1 channel in each slot.

That is beautiful news, and corrects misinformation I had been given. BHN does not compress HD programming for transmission on the cable. Kudos! And my apologies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)