Basic Dish HD DVR Question

Alro

Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Kentucky
I'm looking into switching from cable to Dish, but I had one major question before I make my decision.

With cable, I am able to DVR two HD shows at the same time on a single HD cable box. I've searched, but not found a clear answer on whether I can do that with Dish. So I ask, is this possible?

With the VIP 612/622/722, you can record 2 sats and one OTA at the same time.
With the 722K and optional OTA module, you can record two each at the same time.

Yes that's possible and quite common. The latest/greatest receiver, the 722K, actually has 2 OTA ATSC tuners and 2 satellite tuners. So... With all tuners recording, and downloading an Internet VOD HD program as well, you can fill up your disk in record time. ;)

The 722K does not come with any OTA tuners. You must purchase the OTA module (it used to be about $30) that will provide you with 2 OTA tuners. That means you would have 2 satellite tuners and 2 OTA tuners for a total of 4 HD channels recording at the same time, and, of course, you can play back any recording, HD, as well, while the 4 HD recordings are occurring.

The other HD DVR models come with 1 OTA tuner built-in to the unit allowing up to 3 HD recordings at the same time.

Great! Thanks for the answers. I was confused by some of the things I read. It looked like you could DVR 2 shows at the same time, but 1 show would record in HD and the other would record in SD.

Again, thanks for the help!

Yep - all the tuners are HD. With my 722, I can record 3 HD shows at once (2 satellite, one OTA). As folks have said, with the 722K + OTA module, you can do 4 at once.

You can output to 2 TVs from the one box - one output is HD, one is SD. But all of the recordings are HD.

I can confirm that the 722k is one sweet DVR.

I regularly record 2 HD satellite programs and 2 OTA(over the air) HD programs off my antenna at the same time.

If you are currently using a cable DVR, you are going to LOVE the Dish DVR's. when I had cable, I used both the Scientific American and Samsung HD DVR's and both of them really sucked.

the external storage capabilities with the Dish DVR's are really cool as well.

good luck.....

I just got a 722K its ability to record 4 things at once is awesome.

I am reconfiguring my system, bought a 4 foot corner reflector yagi for 10 bucks at the rogers flea market. its well built and nearly brand new. getting a rotor. right now its sitting indoors getting near a 100% signal strength. I always had a interest in this....:)

will drop my 625s and may end up with just two 722Ks.

dont have a high def tv yet, might get a larger LCD tv since I prefer BRITE pictures, many LCDs appear dark