basic Dish hd question

minkbarn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Hi,

I've had Dish for a long time, and am finally going hd next week.

I have a simple question: Is there a current list of Dish hd channels available on this site?

I have the top 250 package. Is platinum hd included when I upgrade my 250 to hd? Or do I have to pay extra for the platinum?

Thanks

You guys have convinced me. I'm going with the DVR. My installer is getting in some new hd receivers shortly and I should be set up next week at the latest.

You guys have convinced me. I'm going with the DVR. My installer is getting in some new hd receivers shortly and I should be set up next week at the latest.

If you have only one TV than I would go with the VIP211 and add an external hard drive and for $40.00 you turn it into a DVR with out the monthly DVR fee this is what I have.
The only thing, as far as I can tell, that the VIP211 as a DVR will not do is get the on demand movies
But if you have more than one TV than you need a regular DVR.

If you have only one TV than I would go with the VIP211 and add an external hard drive and for $40.00 you turn it into a DVR with out the monthly DVR fee this is what I have.
The only thing, as far as I can tell, that the VIP211 as a DVR will not do is get the on demand movies
But if you have more than one TV than you need a regular DVR.

Do you still get full DVR functions with the hard drive, or does it just act like a VCR?

Do you still get full DVR functions with the hard drive, or does it just act like a VCR?

The problem with the 211 is it is just an single tuner receiver, meaning you can only record one sat program at a time. With a 622/722, you can record two sat channels and 1 OTA at the same time. 722K, with optional OTA module, 2 sats and two OTA's concurrently. It (they) will cost $6.00 more a month...but well worth it.

Now I just have to decide whether I want to go with a DVR or not.

You do. Glad to see you went with that choice.

If you're like us, you'll soon DVR everything, and watch almost nothing live. Using the "skip ahead" button to pass thru commercials (MUCH faster than FF) will free you from annoying commercials. Don't get me wrong, we sometimes see one interesting and watch, but 90% of commercials get skipped in my house.

Your 5 yr old will learn to DVR it all, and FF to her heart's content. Teach her the skip ahead and back buttons.

BTW, I suggest, strongly suggest, you go with the ViP722k (or ViP722). You'll be happier in the long run. You will get more utility with it, especially with EHD compatibility. At the least, a ViP612.

Last edited:
I got my hd installed today (a 722 and a dish for the hd). Everything is very impressive. Unfortunately because I get the locals on 61.5 I do not get the newest hd channels (BBC America etc). The new little dish can't point at both I guess.

I called Dish about this and the rep said things are changing, and he'd heard some unconfirmed rumors that these channels may be shifting over (at some point). I hope so.

Yes, there are threads on this. You'll want to be on EA (Eastern Arc), one 1000.4 dish covering 61.5, 72.7, 77.

I got my hd installed today (a 722 and a dish for the hd). Everything is very impressive. Unfortunately because I get the locals on 61.5 I do not get the newest hd channels (BBC America etc). The new little dish can't point at both I guess.

I called Dish about this and the rep said things are changing, and he'd heard some unconfirmed rumors that these channels may be shifting over (at some point). I hope so.

What area DMA are you in? Our SD locals are on 110 and our HD locals are on 61.5 so we've been doing some Eastern Arc dishes with 110 wing dishes and that way our customers get all the channels.

I live in western Massachusetts. We get the Albany NY locals.

I asked the installer about covering both satellites and he said that equipment was not available to him. Maybe he was not informed correctly?

Both the installer and Dish phone rep said the same thing- that if I got the new hd channels I'd be giving up the locals.

Your 5 yr old will learn to DVR it all, and FF to her heart's content. Teach her the skip ahead and back buttons.

I totally agree with the younger ones catching on to recording and watching - but you need to watch them closely and make sure they don't use the "record all" setting which is the default. We were wondering why our recording hours remaining had dissappeared. We found my grand daughter had set up all her favorite programs and we found lots of Sponge Bob and Hanna Montana programs. We showed her how to set up that hour Monday thru Friday and she promissed to not do the "record all" thing, but we still keep an eye on her.

I live in western Massachusetts. We get the Albany NY locals.

I asked the installer about covering both satellites and he said that equipment was not available to him. Maybe he was not informed correctly?

Both the installer and Dish phone rep said the same thing- that if I got the new hd channels I'd be giving up the locals.

Did you call a local retailer or Dish directly? I think that's Dish's policy when you order from them but we are a local retailer and happen to be in the Albany, NY DMA as well, but not in Massachusetts. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)