Basic DVR for a Cheapskate

willisrw

Mar 9, 2004
I have had Dish Network for about 2.5 years. Currently, I have AT 120, and I usually add HBO when new episodes of The Sopranos are on. The receiver is a 301, and is used for the only room that I want satellite television in, the livingroom. I have been very satisifed with the service.

Here's my query. I have an interest in a DVR, and I would like to know what my least expensive option is. I have read that the 501 is a fairly basic model. I have seen these for sale on eBay. One of the descriptions said that this model does not incur a $5 DVR fee because it pre-dates the fee? Is this true? Is the 501 the cheapest route? I am aware that newer models would have longer recording times/more advanced features, but I would prefer to keep the cost down. Would there be any other fees associated with this DVR? What other models should I should consider?

Also, what is required to set up the DVR? Would I put the card from the 301 into the DVR, or does it require something different? Also, I have read about the DVRs receiving updates. I have never had my receiver hooked up to a phone line. Would that be necessary for the DVR?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

The 501, 508 & 721 do not have DVR fees
The 501 & 508 are basically the same unit but the 508 has a bigegr hard drive (80hr vs. 40hr)
721 has 2 tuners

The unit should come with the card. You just call dish and swap the units

Reciever upgrades come from the satellite, not the phone line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts