Basic setup questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

WeissMan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Southeast US
Hi,

I bought a complete system from WSI on Friday and am in the process of assembling everything and have some questions about the basic setup.

DSB5700
WS9036
DMX521

When setting the elevation, I noticed a scale on both sides of the bracket, I need an elevation of 33.9, how do I go about setting that angle?

On the LNBF bracket the scale reads from 0-20L and 0-20R how do I set it at 41.6?

Thanks,

WeissMan:usa

I looked up the model numbers you posted, and none of them refers to a motor. Therefore, I'll assume you're setting up a stationary dish (not motorized).

The scale on both sides of the dish elevation bracket should be the same. Set the elevation at just under 34, but don't absolutely trust the elevation scale, as they can be off by as many as 5 degrees. You may have to move the dish slightly higher or lower from that elevation. You'll want to bring a small TV (a portable DVD player with video input will do) and your receiver out to the dish to watch the signal Quality meter (Quality is the important one, not so much Strength) while you aim the dish. Be sure to have the receiver tuned to an active transponder on the satellite you are aiming for. Bringing the receiver and a monitor out to the dish makes aiming much easier, as you have immediate feedback as you move the dish. When you are aiming the dish, make very slow movements, 1/16th of an inch can make a great deal of difference.

The LNBF bracket scale is for skew. If the satellite you are trying to hit is west of due south of your location, you'll want to twist the LNBF clockwise in the holder until you get maximum quality on the quality meter. If the satellite you are aiming at is east of due south from your location, twist the LNBF counter-clockwise in the holder while watching for maximum quality.

What is your longitude, and what satellite are you trying to hit?

Basic Setup

Hi Tron,

Great to hear from another "Yat".

Stationary is correct.

I compared the scales on the right and left sides of the bracket and they are not the same. Three on one side = about five on the other. I am guessing that each number = 10 degrees. Is this right? Two more questions about the LNBF; When I rotate it clockwise, is that from my perspective as I look at the dish or from the perspective of the dish? (I'm very new at this) and since the scale on the LNBF bracket only goes to 20, how do I set a skew of 41.6?

L -84.6296
Galaxy 18

Thanks

Okay, you're even farther away from Galaxy 18 (farther East) than I am... You'll want to rotate the LNBF clockwise looking from behind the dish (or from the dish's point of view). An easy way to remember skew is to turn the LNBF toward the direction the satellite is from true south. Galaxy 18 is west of your true south, so twist the LNBF toward the west, or clockwise from behind the dish. Those marks for skew can't really be taken literally in many cases. If straight up is 12 o'clock, twist the LNBF to about 2 o'clock. That should get you in the ballpark and you will find signal. You can tweak it when you find the satellite. As for the marks on the dish mount, can you take a couple of pictures?

Not able to upload photos. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
I do have a new question. I have a DMX521 LNBF and the promo information in the WSI website says that it is a single output standard LNBF. So do I set my reciever (Omegasat 5700) LNB setting to standard or universal?

Thanks
NEW%20FLASHING.gif

dmx521-222.gif

WS International DMX521 Single Output Standard LNBF

dmx521-2.jpg
This is a Single Linear Ku band LNB. It's compatible with all the DiSEqC & Multi switches on the market and with an incredible high gain to give you the highest possible quality signal.

If you have tried the TechSAT TRACKER II+ or the comparable LNBF, you are in for a huge surprise. Give this LNBF a try and you will be surprised at the performance of this little guy.

It's manufactured by WS International which is one of the most popular, reliable and well known brands on the market and comes with a full 1-year warranty. The DMX521 is designed to fit on most offset Ku band antennas with 40mm universal LNBF mounts.

97.0W

Now that I have everything set up and operational, I am able to pick up 97.0W. When I scan for FTA channels, I get quite a few that are scrambled or encripted. So, are these really FTA channels and should I be able to receive them too?

Thanks,

WeissMan
:flag:

DSB5700
WS9036
DMX521

Now that I have everything set up and operational, I am able to pick up 97.0W. When I scan for FTA channels, I get quite a few that are scrambled or encripted. So, are these really FTA channels and should I be able to receive them too?

Thanks,

WeissMan
:flag:

DSB5700
WS9036
DMX521

WeissMan,

If you set the scan mode to FTA only, the receiver should not have logged the encrypted channels. If they are showing "scrambled", then they are definitely encrypted and not FTA. I cannot explain why they would have been logged by the receiver unless it has a glitch and simply scans all channels even when you select FTA only. Or possibly, you didn't actually select FTA only, even though that was your intention. I have done such on occasion, I got in a hurry and meant to select TA only, but left it in default and scanned a whole mess of channels that I did not want and could not view (encrypted) and had to delete them all later.

I don't know your receiver (haven't had experience with it myself), so it may be a glitch in its' programming.

RADAR

I usually scan 'FTA only', but sometimes certain channels scan as scrambled which are actually in the clear. I try to do 'FTA only' scans under normal circumstances, especially on the DBS birds, since deleting all of those channels/transponders can be a pain.

FTA scan listing scrambled channels

I guess that must be happening to me also. I run auto scan for FTA only and it picks up a few that are scrambled. I will look into updating the software if one is available.

Thanks,

WeissMan

I checked it out this weekend and the channels in question are listed as Irdeto 2.? Is this something that you have to subscribe to or is it based upon
equipment capabilities?

WeissMan

I checked it out this weekend and the channels in question are listed as Irdeto 2.? Is this something that you have to subscribe to or is it based upon
equipment capabilities?

WeissMan

Probably both. But, definitely you do need to subscribe to the provider's service. Irdeto is a form of encryption that many provider's use (more extensively in Europe I believe). To activate your receiver to access these channels, you need to subscribe to the service, obtain a SMART CARD and insert it into your receiver and follow some setup procedures.

I have not personally ever set up this sort of subscription, but I am sure others have. I would be wary of which FTA receiver you use and ask the provider if your receiver model is going to be compatible with their system format and with their SMART CARD activation. It may not be so simple, so beware and check everything out in detail before you commit to purchase their service.

RADAR

Thanks for the info. I am a newbie at this and I am trying to learn what's up there, FTA. Since I only use the system on weekends, I don't want to go overboard with equipment upgrades and/or subscriptions.

Any NCAA football up on FTA?

Thanks
Weissman

Are there any particular sats that usually carry the games, Or is it just luck of the draw?

Another question regarding LNB's.

If I want to receive the FTA stuff on 119W, will my standard linear LNBF do the job?

Thanks,

Are there any particular sats that usually carry the games, Or is it just luck of the draw?
If it starts with AMC, Galaxy or Horizons, you have a good shot. :)

If I want to receive the FTA stuff on 119W, will my standard linear LNBF do the job?
I doubt it.
If you are Motorized, you could probably strap a Circular LNB to the existing LNB, and use DiSEqC 1.2 vs. USALS for Circular Sats.

Last edited:
When setting the elevation, I noticed a scale on both sides of the bracket, I need an elevation of 33.9, how do I go about setting that angle?

On the LNBF bracket the scale reads from 0-20L and 0-20R how do I set it at 41.6?

Thanks,

WeissMan:usa

If standing behind the satellite dish, you will need to use the scale on the left hand-side of the dish antenna.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts