Status
Please reply by conversation.

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
A few weeks ago I sold both of my old E* receivers, one a 3000, the other a 4000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=32845&sspagename=STRK:MESSO:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=32845&sspagename=STRK:MESSO:IT&rd=1

I just received an email from the guy who bought my 3000. Here is the text of his email:

Hi, i just got your shipment, but is not what i bidded on. You send me a dish network receiver 3500, and a smrat card rom 3, and remote. I asked for a 3000 receiver, rom 2 smart card and remote. Can you e-mail me back and see what we can do. Let me know as soon as possible. Thanks

WTF??? I sent him a receiver which says model 3000 on the system info screen, has model 3000 on the rear sticker, but it does look different from some other people's model 3000.

Were there other iterations of the model 3000? What's the difference between the model 3000 and 3500?

I just have a feeling this guy bought it thinking he could hack it, but my receiver is unhackable. He has 35 or so feedback with 4 negs.

Here's some of the correspondence between us:

him said:
what rev is the card? has the receiver or the card ever been tampered with? How much shipping to canada, montreal?

me said:
I have the manual and remote; and if you want the cables included, I'll send them also.

I don't know the REV, but these are the numbers off the back of the card... 123474487-AA and a very small 288-02

as I recall.... a 3500 was effectively a 3000 with one year of pre-paid programming on a certain package....

I do not believe that there are any operational differences between the two. There may have been some minor cosmetic differences, such as a different front face, with a brand name of "HTS" (the ole Houston Tracker Systems).

But... if you say it was a 3000... I can not image why he thinks he got a 3500....

Mark Sorensen said:
But... if you say it was a 3000... I can not image why he thinks he got a 3500....

Looks I suppose.

I don't know where he got 3500 either. You can look on the sys info screen and it says 3000, the rear sticker says 3000. Dish Network doesn't even list a 3500 on their website.

He has some Negs in his feedback and I suppose I'll get nailed with one also, just because he is an @$$.

I'm going to send him the response:

I'm sorry but it is a 3000 receiver. The picture in the ad is the picture of the actual receiver sent. I have had this receiver sense 1998. On the System Information screen it is listed as a 3000. The sticker on the rear of the unit says model 3000. Everything in the ad and in my emails is accurate. You can power up the receiver and see on the System Information screen that it says "Model 3000".
What is a Model 3500? I haven't heard much of it and can't find much on the Internet on the 3500. Dish Network's web site even makes no reference to a model 3500.
I’m afraid what I sold and you bought is exactly what was in the auction. What do you want me to do?

I don't know if this is the case or not, but a known scam on eBay is done this way:

- You have a broken device
- Buy a similar on on eBay
- Claim that the broken one is what you have received.

The guard against this is to include the serial number in the actual listing or take a picture of the serial number and the whole thing before you ship it.

If you have enough evidence, I think that you can report this to eBay. They will help you deal with it.

I'm not budging on the sale, everything is as listed. I don't know what the guy wants me to do about it.

The worst he can do is give you a bad feedback and you can add a response to his comment. Just respond that he got what he bought and do not worry about it. If you have a good rating, one negative feedback is not going to hurt your rating. Call Dish and turn him in as a suspected hacker. Let them check him out. Only a hacker would ask about the card type and etc. An honest person would not care.

Yeah,

I sold a computer new in the box. The guy opened it, connected it and modified the software. He couldn't get the computer to accept one Microsoft download. He stated now that I sent him a used computer and it was missing parts. He wanted a full refund, now that he has used the goods. Luckily, I noted that this item was a final sale. There are thieves and jerks out there, but I usually get good buyers. The worse are these so called "chosen" religious types. This guy said I should help him, because he was a fellow ".........."

gpflepsen said:
Here's some of the correspondence between us:
him said:
what rev is the card? has the receiver or the card ever been tampered with? How much shipping to canada, montreal?
People in Canada cannot legally subscribe to E*. Perhaps he couldn't find a grey dealer to authorize it? Or he wanted to be a free viewer. :)

Your seller has only left three negative ratings, all for buyers of his stuff. It will be a shame if he ruins your 100% good rating, but you will overcome that.

BTW: I've bought a few things on eBay and have found satellite equipment to be the least satisfying. I had one guy sell me a legacy twin that was advertised as DishPro (cut and paste, evidently) ... and when I called him on the error I had to teach him the difference to get a refund (I paid shipping on the return too). Another waited 10 full days before shipping the items I ordered, and it was scuffed up (not new). He no longer is on eBay.

I did manage to get a couple of good deals, including a 301 which was clean and easily added to my account. But people need to be extra sure they know what they are talking about --- and that their counterpart is on the same wavelength and on the up and up. It is a rough neigborhood.

But enough about ME! I hope this works out for you.

JL

jerryez said:
The worst he can do is give you a bad feedback and you can add a response to his comment. Just respond that he got what he bought and do not worry about it. If you have a good rating, one negative feedback is not going to hurt your rating. Call Dish and turn him in as a suspected hacker. Let them check him out. Only a hacker would ask about the card type and etc. An honest person would not care.
if you get an unjustified negative, you can get it erased. You can pay a $20 fee to have an arbitrator (probable an ebay owned company) to intervene. They will contact both parties, have each state the greviance, & basically have both say no fault. Then both can accept a removal of a negative. The feedback from the sale gets deleted! If you have a nice 100% pos feedback it may be worth it especially if your # of feedback are still low.

You can't please everyone, and I have found that out the hard way no matter if you bend over backwards they will expect that much more out of you.

I believe that the model 3500 was a HTS or a JVC brand receiver, and the model 3000 was the Echostar brand receiver. Both should be functionally equivalent except the brand name. So, no worry.

I guess the buyer mistakenly assumed that the -02 number on the smart card was the revision. And he got a rev -03. That may be the issue.

Hope this works out.

you have to read the card with an iso programer to find the rev. If your card had 1234...... it is a rom 3 card. you can tell what rom buy the numbers on the back at the bottom right. He is definately a hacker.

Legitimate subscribers don't need to know the revision number they only need to know if there is an outstanding balance on the receiver.

If he leaves you unjust bad feedback. I would call dishnetwork and tell them that you feel that he's a hacker and the situation. Hacker's are the ones who keep our rates high.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts