Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTA4PA

Satellite Guys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 13, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
I am wondering what other people's experience has been with batteries lately. In the past month I have had new batteries leak twice shortly after installing them in a device. The first was an led flashlight, which we keep in our living room for frequent power outages we experience. We tried to use it one evening and after opening it I found the batteries had leaked white powder all over inside. The second device (and most important) was the remote for our Amiko Mini HD SE - it stopped working today and when I opened the battery compartment it was full of the white powder as well. I cleaned it out and it appears to work ok with different batteries. These weren't cheap, dollar store batteries that leaked - they were Duracell and I believe they came from two different packs. Has anyone else noticed this with any of their batteries or am I just the lucky one?:(

Last edited:
I'm a Duracell fan. Have used them for many years. Never any issues.

Usually old spent bateries will leak and more so if left in a device over a long period of time.

I'm a Duracell fan. Have used them for many years. Never any issues. Usually old spent bateries will leak and more so if left in a device over a long period of time.

I never had a problem with Duracell before either but these were new and just installed recently.

Last edited:
I never had a problem with Duracell before either but these were new and just installed recently.

Were these batteries in one particular device or was this across several devices?

Ahh sorry. Got lost in the back and forth. I would expect it from the flashlight. Those things can be problematic. The remote seems odd. I haven't had that issue with my remote but I still have the original batteries in it. I'll try to keep track of this going forward. I typically buy duracell but to be honest I sometimes go with whatever I can find.

...I typically buy duracell but to be honest I sometimes go with whatever I can find.
I generally go with Duracell or Energizer. My wife told me she got these buy one, get one free at a "well known" dollar store. Read tonight that if they are exposed to very high temperatures (perhaps during storage?) this can happen. Maybe they were buy one - get one free for a reason?:rolleyes:

They could have been counterfeit. https://thecounterfeitreport.com/product/106/
Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Great! Never heard of that - now we have to worry about fake batteries. Appeared real but no idea if they were legit or not - threw packaging away when she bought them and rest went out with the trash yesterday. I'd more likely think it was poor storage since we have had issues with several products (mainly food) from there before but definitely something I will watch for in the future. Thanks for the info!:)

I would be leary of food at the $1 store. They sell knock offs that look like brand names but are not the real thing. Also its made in Asia. Buyer beware!

I agree with counterfeit.
If 'swindled' again, send them to Duracell and they will/can tell for sure. And if the packaging is still available send that in also. Also the store that sold it if known.
And if they are the real thing, should get coupons for free batteries.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)